Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-12-2005, 6:15 AM Reply   
Is it worth removing them to repaint of should I just paint them on the engine?

They are looking a bit rusty round the bottom so I thought I'd pull them off, de grease, re rust and re paint but I'm not sure if I'm opening a can of worms removing them.

They are 3 years old and have stainless ARP bolts (like the rest of my engine) and should come off easy enough. I haven't any gaskets to replace and getting stuff like that in the UK is damn expensive so should I just leave them on?

Any thoughts?
Old    matt_w            04-12-2005, 6:31 AM Reply   
I would not remove the exhaust risers or manifolds without having replacement gaskets. I replace my gaskets every 4 to 5 years as a precaution. If they leak it can cause major problems.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-12-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
Do not take them off if you are not prepared to replace the gaskets.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-12-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
The gaskets are very expensive. I was quoted $250 for a set.

(Message edited by skibum69 on April 12, 2005)
Old    matt_w            04-13-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
skibum,

$250 for a set of exhaust riser and manifold gaskets?? Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. I have a 1995 Competition Ski 350 Mercruiser. The exhaust gaskets you can get at any parts store and the riser gaskets are only a few dollars at the local Mercruiser dealer. Are other engine maker gaskets that much more?
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-13-2005, 7:37 AM Reply   
I have a friend in florida right now so I might get him to bring me some gaskets back. Can I just use regular automotive gaskets for the manifold to block seal?

They are the only parts that I will be removing.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-13-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
I couldn't beleive the parts guy either, but he double checked it. He said it was the gasket the goes between the head and the exhaust manifold. I believe the have metal on one side to help with the heat. I was thinking about trying NAPA but I really don't need to replace mine. I could be all wrong on the gaskets and he could have been quoting me the wrong one.
Old    matt_w            04-13-2005, 3:14 PM Reply   
I use Felpro gaskets from Auto Zone (regular automotive). I just had them look up a mid-90's Chevy pickup with a 350 engine. I have the part number but it is at the lake house with the boat and I won't be there until this weekend. I will post it back here on Monday or Tues.

Old    74skier            04-13-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
If you pay over $15 each (US), your paying way too much.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-25-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
you need to use marine exhaust gaskets, not car style ones unless your running some form of closed cooling that goes through the exhaust (most dont, they run the coolant through the block only, not through the exhaust)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-25-2005, 2:23 PM Reply   
i'm fairly certain the cooling water only comes thru the hose on the end of the manifold, not thru the cylinder heads. automotive gaskets should work, but i'd compare them very closely to what you have now.

i assume that was a stealership that quoted $250? check skidim.com for good prices.

that said, there's NWIH i'd go thru all that trouble to repaint them. the paint will burn off again in the first couple hours of use.