Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (jba)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-15-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
IM INSTALLING A CUSTOM MADE TOWER ON MY BOAT THIS WEEKEND ANY HELPFUL TIPS. THANKS
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-15-2005, 10:25 PM Reply   
Measure three times, drill once.

Run the drill bit in reverse until your through the gel coat.

Ask for help if you need it, lots of really smart people are here to help.
Old    waterdog2            03-15-2005, 11:44 PM Reply   
Get an extra set of hands and take your time.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-16-2005, 5:04 AM Reply   
measure six times and look at the bottom side of the fiberglass to see whats underneath. I ended up having to grind out a small pvc pipe used for factory speaker wire, because it was right next to where my bolts came through the fiberglass.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-16-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
Greast points by Jeff and Jason. I keep a vacuum going while drilling to keep from breathing the fiberglass, also makes cleanup a lot easier.
Old    flipout            03-16-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
probablly know this, but put tape over the areas you are drilling through....
Old    jmo52            03-16-2005, 11:06 PM Reply   
You may want to cut a small piece of plywood as backing on the inside so when you tightn it down you won't crack the glass. Also helps prevent future spider cracks. Good Luck.
Old     (keithro)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-18-2005, 3:27 PM Reply   
Countersink the holes after you've drilled them to keep the stress cracking minimal.
Old    waterdog2            03-18-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
I second the plywood. I used 3/8" with 3M 5200 to fill any gaps and make the wood A perfect 90% to the bolts.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-19-2005, 10:14 PM Reply   
Great comments, read through tower builders instruction manuals as well to get additional ideas. Most post thier instruction manuals and a link to all the tower sites is at http://www.worldwakeboardcouncil.com/links.html