Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    mattscpu            04-22-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
I just recently moved to the Lewisville area (actually I can walk to it from my house) from the Lake Norman area in Mooresville, NC. I wanted to find out where the best place to ride (not the best party cove) is where there aren't a million stumps everywhere! Lake Lewisville is a joke compared to the lakes in NC. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks and looking forward to getting my X2.
M
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-22-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
There are good areas on Lewisville and if you live that close to it, that will be your best bet. Try the west side of the lake west of I-35. Go under the interstate and hug the south shore which is usually pretty good with the wind conditions. I was out there yesterday afternoon and had some great water.

If you are interested in traveling, there are several lakes/rivers to try. Possum Kingdom is about 2.5 hours west and is nice because it is surrounded by 200' cliffs so wind is not a problem. I was there last weekend but the problem with this lake is that it gets crowded during the summer.

Lake Texhoma would be about an hour north of you at the Texas-Oklahoma border and is supposed to be pretty nice. I haven't been there, but it would look more like the lakes in NC with trees covering the shores.

The best place to ride in the area is west of Ft. Worth and would be about 1.5 hours from Lewisville with traffice. Most locals try to keep a little more secretive as the water conditions are the best in the area. I can email you details about this location if you want.

The best place for info on wakeboarding in the area is www.dallaswakeboarding.com. It is a pretty large group and is a well-run website. There are several tournaments each year in the area and there are a couple of boat-hop days where the local dealers bring a couple of boats out for the day. A few weeks ago there were about 12 new boats out of Lewisville for boat hop day.

Did you buy your X2 in NC or Texas? Texas Mastercraft is a great dealer and you will be happy with their service. Check out the Dallas wakeboarding website and email me at amoreton@smu.edu if you have any other questions.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-22-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
Echo what Andrew said.

You're gonna have to get up real early for the good water on the local lakes on the weekends.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-22-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
I have a feeling Andrew's place in west Fort Worth is probably the river, better known as Tin Top. If so... Yeah, check that place out, it's definitely worth it. I lived about 15 minutes from there, and can tell you that it's a really good place to ride. There are some really good riders out there as well... So, watching is just as fun. Like Andrew said above, it's kept quiet, but if you want to check it out, let us know, I'm sure 1 more boat won't hurt.

-Blake
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-22-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
"I'm sure 1 more boat won't hurt."

Yeah, but naming it on the internet will. Just let locals show him the place and lets leave names and streets off the site. You mind editing that part out Blake?

(Message edited by Stanfield on April 22, 2005)
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-22-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   
It's too late to edit my post, unless Walt wants to hook me up again?

Anyway, it's going to take a little more than a name, or street, to actually find it... I think they're safe, and sound. Sorry. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not around the DFW area anymore, except for vacation, so he can take my old spot.

-Blake
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-22-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
Possum Kingdom was also mentioned as a place to check out... I love PK, but the riding condtions aren't the greatest. You do have to get up pretty early to catch the glass, and it doesn't hang around long at all. After the early morning glass, the only other time is late afternoon, and that all depends on how many people are heading to Hell's Gate for the night, which is what I really wanted to write about anyway. So, PK is an awesome lake, it just doesn't have the best conditions for us wakeboarders. What it does have, is a great place to party. If you're looking for a good place to hang out, definitely check out Hell's Gate. You won't have any trouble finding it, just ask anyone within 100 miles of the lake, it's very popular. I've been there a lot, and can honestly say that each time was more, and more, exciting. Check it out, you'll undestand what I'm getting at. Here are some pics during the day. At night, this place is crammed full of boats, and lots of good looking ladies... Girls Gone Wild should also check this place out .

-Blake

Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-22-2005, 11:57 PM Reply   
Matt,

Yeah, apparently the place I was talking about as secret got released, but if you want to go out there sometime and have me show you the locale, give me a call on my cell. It's (573) 587-1879. I'd be glad to show you around the DFW area. This is one of the larger wakeboarding areas in the country behind Florida and Cali. Hope you like the Metroplex.
Old    mattscpu            04-23-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info everyone. I did check out the website, dallaswakeboarding.com, but I didn't really see any useful info. Only spent a few minutes on it though. Luckily I work from home so I can hit Lewisville during the week. Any weekday riders? I will only hit it on the weekend to go to the party cove. I did get a chance to go to the party cove on Lewisville on July 4th last year. Wasn't too impressed although it was a thin crowd for some reason. Possum Kingdom looks like somewhere I want to check out. I am also looking for jetski riders (stand up). Any stand up riders on this board? If any of you are on the Lewisville and see a yellow X2 with a Kawasaki 800SXR stand up and a yellow XP tied to the back, you know it is me! Thanks for the invite. I will hit you up on your cell when I get my boat.

M
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-23-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
Gabe Lucas Lake Lewisville.....
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
Steven,

Where on Lewisville is that slider? I haven't seen that one before, but it looks pretty permanent.