Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-14-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
After last season without a cover our white vinyl is looking more gray then white. We use Babes cleaner and conditioner after every use, but I am looking for something with a deep cleaning power. I can scrub and scrub with a cloth and Babes and it does nothing for the dirty areas. Our boat has 'straps' that you can grab to lift up the rear storage areas and the color difference between the rest of the boat and under those straps is huge!

What kind of scrubber and cleaner is safe to use, but will also do better then babes and cloth? I think Babes is great for maintaining clean vinyl, but to get it clean I need something else!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-14-2010, 7:56 AM Reply   
Exquisite and a soft bristle brush and a lot of scrubbing.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-14-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
You could try the Babes with a soft bristle brush. Something like a fingernail brush.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-14-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
I've used them all and nothing has matched Malco leather and plastic cleaner. You can use it and microfiber cloth or a medium bristle brush. The difference is night and day. Malco is harder to come by than most cleaners, you can't just walk into a store and buy it. If you go to their website malcopro you can get in contact with a distributor. There are a couple online retailers as well.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-14-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Here is a review I did as well as "G" grants review:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...ighlight=malco

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...ighlight=malco
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-14-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried Vinyl Sauce? I just ordered a bottle based on how much I like Hot Sauce, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       08-14-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
Evinrude makes a vinyl cleaner that seems to work best on the tough stuff for me. I also recommend a soft bristle brush to pull the dirt up.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-14-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
I found a battery operated scrub brush at walmart for less then $20. This thing is awesome! It has a few different heads that go out it for different jobs. I keep it right in the boat. The scrubber and Babe's, thats it. It was in the auto dept.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-14-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
I just tried vinyl sauce. Pretty impressed. Smells a lot like malco. It works just like malco, but I feel like I don't need to go back over and do a clean wipe with water like I do with malco.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-14-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesell View Post
I found a battery operated scrub brush at walmart for less then $20. This thing is awesome! It has a few different heads that go out it for different jobs. I keep it right in the boat. The scrubber and Babe's, thats it. It was in the auto dept.
When it came time to scrub my vinyl I remembered those things from the commercials a few years ago but they didn't have them at our Wal-Mart and so I assumed they didn't make them anymore and went the manual route.

Guess I'll need to look harder next time.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-14-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
Malco plastic and leather cleaner. The best I have found
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-14-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
What ever cleaner you use is helped a great deal with the use of a soft nylon bristle scrub brush. Some have a flexible back but any will make a big difference.
I use Starbrite whack is concentrated so when you dilute it you have a very inexpensive cleaner that you can use often. Others like Malco, or GM Upolstry Cleaner work better but it works better that many other brands.
Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
I swear by Zep vinyl cleaner it destroys babes, vinyl sauce, and everything else. This is more to penetrate the dirt and whatever is on your vinyl. Zep takes away anything and everything. After using it then I would go over it with a conditioner and protectant because the Zep will take all of that away from your previous products. I do detail on boats on the side and I stand by it, hell ill even send u a bottle! good luck
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-15-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
Has anyone tried Vinyl Sauce? I just ordered a bottle based on how much I like Hot Sauce, but I haven't tried it yet.
Yes, I really like vinyl sauce. My boat is noy dirty like the one described, but it did easily clean up the messy areas where the seating surfaces come together (the areas that collect all the dirt and water but never see the light of day). It easily cleaned those ares that nothing else I tried would touch. I folowed up with Condition Saucec (which looks and smells a lot like 303). The condition sauce was not greasy like 303 though.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-15-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
You can get Malco at your local Peterbilt Truck parts dept.
Old    alanp            08-15-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
i used tilex and a brush last time i cleaned my vinyl. very pleased.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-16-2010, 4:51 AM Reply   
Mr Clean Magic Erasers dipped in a solution of 50/50 oxi clean and water. apply 303 or some other vinyl protectant once cleaned... Works the best!
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-16-2010, 4:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeach View Post
Mr Clean Magic Erasers dipped in a solution of 50/50 oxi clean and water. apply 303 or some other vinyl protectant once cleaned... Works the best!
Just know that Magic Erasers are abrasive and wear away at your vinyl with each use.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-16-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
I've yet to find a brush that I like. How firm of bristles are you guys using?
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Heavy Duty Cleanings- Malco Leather and Plastic Cleaner
Light duty Cleanings- Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce

The vinyl sauce is great for the regular, in between cleanings, but when you're due for a real heavy duty cleaning, Malco is what you need. Malco just takes more time since you should rinse it with a clean water rag after you get the dirt out, and then use a conditioner. The vinyl sauce is a great one step cleaner when you don't have lots of time to spend on a real thorough cleaning.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-16-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
can you guys post a pic of the brushes you are using & where to get them???
I have the white square pad/sheet that comes with Malco - but need to get a brush for future use.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
Plain old scrub brushes work fine.... There's really no science to it.....
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-16-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
I am going to stand by my old statements that the miracle in some of these cleaners is the brush, not the solution.

I use Ducky cleaner with a brush and it works as good as Malco or Exquisite has for me.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-16-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
If you like the Malco, go to the dollar store and get totally awesome. I am convinced it is the exact same stuff. Smells, looks and cleans exactly the same. Use that and a brush on your vinyl and you will love the results. I have done it on many boats and have friends that have also used it. I would condition it afterwards, but you will be surprised how much gunk you get up. Have lots of clean shop towels to wife it all up.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-16-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info everyone! I will try tackling this project next weekend.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-16-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
Totally Awesome? lol Ill have to look into that
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-16-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
Just wanted to know if anyone used Simple Green? This maybe a n00b question.

m-
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-16-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
Yes. It works good diluted but it is hard on your threads and vinyl. I used it for years before i got my new boat and never had any problems but I guess its really hard on your threads, I wouldnt recomend it with all the other great cleaners out there.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-16-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
DO NOT use Simple Green. Not only is it incredibly hard on your seems, it will completely dry out the vinyl as well. With so many other great products out there, why risk it.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
Totally awesome works pretty damn good and is so freakin cheap. Do just like Diggs said, use a soft brush and spray it directly on and scrub. Stuff is a buck a bottle . 1 tip if your gonna use it, get a good quality spray bottle and put it in that. The ones they come in are garbage! When you drop it on your carpet it will take weeks with the hose to get it all out. Don't get it on the gelcoat either streaks it up pretty bad. Other than that on vynil it works great, and deffinetly get some babes or 303 on it after.