Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-24-2007, 4:06 AM Reply   
I keep reading about posting the scores with the names by division. I have seen the arguments and have made some of the same. But it has occured to me that it is really no different than every other tournament. You do not know what the standings are when you make your run. All you know is what the guys in front of you threw down. And in the finals of a national championship you better throw down your best run. The last guy off has the advantage to see every rider and can make some adjustments. That is kind of risky when you have 10 to 15 riders in front of you and almost impossible when there are 2 days of riding and the order is reversed on 2nd day.

This is no different. The difference is you get 2 full turns instead of one. If it was set up by heats and you advanced to finals you still don't know your standing in finals. I have been the biggest critic of that rule but it makes perfectly good sense. Skiing is totally different. You don't have different tricks. You get to the ball and get as many as possible, plain and simple. There is no strategy. So I have to say the INT knows what it is doing and I am now a convert to the system.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-24-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
Sounds like someone has been drinking the kool-ade
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-24-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
Poll the riders over the winter, pretty sure the vote will go to posting the scores. David (you have been the game for a long time and I respect your opinion) you know if a rider puts down a stand up 1st day and can see he sits in podium position, it could changes his stradagey for the 2nd day on going for that 900 or not, woulden't you agree?
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-25-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
I was told by "them" that if they post the scores some riders will not try as hard the 2nd pass. I think this is totally the opposite. As I think I understand Randy saying if you are on the podium, you would probably try to push a bigger sketchy trick. Since it is not an average of the two runs, why wouldn't the riders on their 2nd run push it very big? I just feel that compared to some of the other events, INT has some catching up to do. It is a long drug out 4 day event where they make you be there all 4 days. I understand that a big majority of the INT participants solely do INT, but for the ones that participate in the other events this is crazy to keep you there all 4 days if you dont ride until thursday why should you be there on tuesday. It is extra days that the little ones have to miss school that shouldnt have to be.
INT PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR RIDERS AND
1. POST THE SCORES
2. POST THE DAYS YOU COMPETE IN ADVANCE
3. try to find a deeper lake.

Scott
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-25-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
I am just saying no tournament has the luxury of knowing where you stand. You just have to throw down and hope it wins or podiums. The only strategy is watching the riders in front of you and that doesn't work at INT since there are 2 days and reversed order of riding. It is kind of like riding your first pass and checking with the judges where you stand. I am not against showing the scores I was just saying it should not affect how one rides.

To Taylor's point. I agree with posting days you ride and your score so you have the option of coming and going at your leisure. I know some divisions rode Weds and Thurs and it would have been nice to know if you podiumed or not so you could leave. I know INT wants people to be there the whole time for various reasons and most people would stay but if you want to leave or go that should be your choice. The lakes? Find 2 comp lakes with ammenities and let the INT know. Everyone is looking for good wakeboard venues.

Roger- no kool-aide but I do appreciate the INT. No INT and you would have no tournament. I would like to see judging addressed. No way should there be more than 1 judge from a state judging at 1 time. Also- some of the pros and upper riders who judge the little kids don't realize it is a big deal to the kids and familys and is more than just a cute family outing. I heard of remarks made by judges that indicated they didn't view it serious enough.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-25-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
David, is Austin going overseas for the world cup thing?
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-25-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
Randy- No. But I think JD, Rathey and he are going over there (Dubai) over Thanksgiving for something. Not sure what. He is trying to get though this semester and that is a whole week out for worlds.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-26-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
Hey Scott,
Tell Taylor that Delanie says Hi! Did you go over to Asia? If so, how did she do?

Mike
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-26-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
Mike
We are leaving the end of Nov. now. we were suppose to leave 2 days ago but some details didnt get fully worked out until last min.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-27-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
I'm digging a 6-lake site in MI. Not good for October....
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
Karl- Are those ski lakes or are there a couple of good wakeboartd lakes? Where in MI? Near major city with airport and hotels?