Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
Just installed a Sony MEX 1HD deck into my Malibu. Its wired into a 1000 watt 2/1 channel Sony Xplod amp. It plays fine and can get pretty loud on FM, but HDD and CD I can only get so loud and it shuts the power off to the head unit? It attempts to restart itself, but shuts itself off again until I turn it down. I know this unit and set up can push louder - am I missing something? It never did this in my truck (where the deck came from)- but it wasn't hooked into an amp then either? The old Sony head unit pushed louder with no problems (until I soaked it in a Florida monsoon...)
Help?
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
when you turn up the sound it makes the amps work harder this = more heat. When most amps gets hot they will shut themselves off automatically to prevent damage.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
But it never did that before? Its wired in the exact same way as the last unit?
Old     (fig)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
This could also be an undervoltage protection. 1000W is pretty steep even with a spare battery. The pure source of CD or HDD will result in a higher gain from the amp due to higher input voltage. What type of alternator is on that thing? What speakers and loads are you driving?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
I'm talking about running a CD or HDD for a few seconds at a louder volume and it shuts off - not after a while. Maybe the settings in the head unit?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
Stock alternator, blue top battery - no spare battery yet. Defcon IV on the tower and 4 six inch standard Sony Xplod speakers...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
FIGS - why wouldnt it have done that before with the less fancy sony deck? Maybe the new deck pushes more?
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
Check your grounds. Make sure you are using the correct guage wiring. Is the CD skipping when it turns off? Make sure nothing is shorting out. Put a volt meter on the power and gnd, verify input voltage when playing. Sounds as if something is loose.

That 1000w sony amp should have not issues with your alternator, since these boats use high amperage alternators. Verify that the RCA's are connected to the correct inputs.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
As long as I stay at a certain volume level - it doesnt happen, so I dont think its a short - but Ill check it tomorrow - ran out of sunlight.. I dont think its the gauge of wire - its the same connector and configuration as the last deck.
What if the RCAs are not connected to the correct inputs? Seems like it wouldnt play at all?
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
Mostly true but I had a friend hook up a sub RCA coming out of the deck to a high pass input on a Amp which was making it cut out when it was turned up. Frying the input signal amplifier

Does the deck turn off when the FM is playing loud?
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
Did this deck currently work with this setup somewhere else?
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
Check your input voltage again since when it is loud and the Voltage decreases the Current will increase thus going into protection mode lke someone stated earlier.

Are you running speakers off this deck? Is the inline fuse blowing?
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-13-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
Turn your gain down to were you can crank the volume and it is not load. If it still cuts out then heat and/or excessive gain would not be your problem. If it does not cut out then turn your volume to 3/4 and increase your gain till it sounds like you want it. If it then cuts out back the gain down a little till it does not cutout.
Why would it do it now and not before? Could be because your new head unit puts out more than your old unit.
Old     (357)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-13-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Good luck, its a sony. Like everyone else said check the wires. I would run a preamp to eliminate the volt output on the deck and have a constant voltage output from the preamp. I had the same problems on my alpine. When I preamped the system it stopped all together.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-13-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
Same thing happens to me...I can bet you are not getting enough power to your amp...I can run my stereo all day and when the battery starts to run down I can not turn the volume up without it shutting off...I can almost promise thats ur problem
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
I had the same problem once so I ran a larger gauge power and ground to the amp and it solved the problem
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2007, 5:52 AM Reply   
I can go a lot louder with the FM, but it turns off eventually too.
All the speakers are run out of the amp. Where would the inline fuse be?
You lost me at preamp - ?
Maybe I should try it while the engine is running instead of straight off the battery? That should give me more power?
When I had this deck installed in my truck, there was no amp and it ran factory speakers with no issue.
The old deck that went bad in my boat ran off this same configuration, but it just sounded shiaty when I turned it up?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
Maybe your power wire is connected to your wedge and when it fell off it pulled the wires out of your stereo.
Or maybe some of Duffys hair coloring or gel got in the wiring.
J/K
I agree with J Montgomery I think your not getting enough power to support it. I would try a heavier gauge wire and see if that works.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-14-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
I had this problem on my new 210. The second amp I installed for my tower speakers was a bigger amp than what they install factory. I solved my problem by changing the amp #2 breaker from a 30 amp to a 50 amp.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-14-2007, 6:49 AM Reply   
I bet it is your amp turn on wire from the radio. I had the same issue when I upgraded my amp. The amp is drawing too much off the turn on wire, and causing it to clip. Hook you amp turn on wire to an extra auxillary switch on your dash. See if that helps. BTW, when that happened to me, it took me about an hour to intall everything, and about 4 hours to determin that was the problem, so I'll send you a bill, lol...
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-14-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
Aaron, it is only coencidence that changing that breaker made the problem go away.

As someone metnioned earlier...first problem was buying a sony deck. this is obviously either a bad deck, or more likely a low voltage issue, or impeadence issue.

And the 1000 watt sony amp proabbly really does abotu 100 watts maybe 200.

Save yourself the headache take it to someone who knwos what they are doing and pay them $20....this can be fixed /diagnosed in a matter of minutes.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
Yea unfortunately I think they're like 300 max output
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
Damn, brand affiliation is like gang affiliation on this site!! I better watch out - The Alpine's and the Rockford's are gonna come and do a drive by on my Sony ass now!
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-14-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
Sony has some very high end stuff that is regarded as good and will hold up, but a higher percentage of sony HU have issues vs many others. It's not just this board...search around on caraudio forums. IMO fosgate is only a tad better than sony.

As you've seen this board is dominated by JL/fosgate/kicker....all of which are decent. JL has good sub amps. There is alot better out there especaially for the money, unfortunately sony is not one of them.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
lol :-) we're not hatin' on you we're just speaking the truth
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Kraco is the SHyt.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
I have a pioneer amp running my mids and it only pushes 600w max 450w rms but it's rated at 800w
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-14-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Mine does the same thing. Sometimes it turns itself off, and then other times, I only have bass. We turn everything off, and then turn it back on. Sometimes that works, other times we just wait, b/c we thought it overheated. We deal with it.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
Dealin with it is fine for a while, but when girls are on the boat messing with the stereo - this kinda makes everything a headache.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Yea for real who just wants to deal with their expensive stuff not working correctly I sure as hell don't . . . Nothing ruins my day faster than when something I spent a lot of money isn't working properly

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on September 14, 2007)
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
Yep, its killin me. $65 an hour at Ultimate Audio - I think Ill take it to them Monday.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
unfortunately it's more than likely something little that would be a cheap fix if you didn't have to pay the $65 labor