Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-14-2012, 4:36 PM Reply   
I just saw Harley and Oli land the first w2w 10's in competition at Wake Games 2012! All thanks to the G23.

Now that the benchmark wakeboat has a MSRP of $107,706, training to be a professional wakeboarder will be far too expensive for most people. With 2,850 lbs of factory ballast, not many of us can afford the gas of running full ballast. If the cost of riding behind the Nautique flagship wasn't scary enough, just think of all the ACL's this boat will eat this season. Riders will go bigger and land harder.

By comparison, cable is much less expensive and much softer on the body.

Thanks for changing everything Nautique.
Old     (lalh20)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-14-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
lol, I have to laugh at the pic you threw in there. if you can add one like that to the rest of the posts in this thread, i'm subscribed!

-on topic, I agree, it makes it tough on the sport to have no upper limit on price tag there will be to the best training equipment. there's nothing that can be done though and I'm not saying anyone should try. behind-boat wakeboarding will never be like basketball or baseball where equipment is standardized. It'll always be pay-to-play. hence the value that cable has brought to our sport! The market came up with an awesome solution and the more people that have to go there due to cost, the more the cable boarding market will overtake the boat market.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2012, 5:05 PM Reply   
So if you can't afford an F1 car you can't participate and enjoy Motorsport? If your good enough you will get sponsored and can continue your development with access to the best wakes and equipment, if your not good enough you can enjoy the sport for what it is, FUN.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-14-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
I just saw Harley and Oli land the first w2w 10's in competition at Wake Games 2012! All thanks to the G23.

Now that the benchmark wakeboat has a MSRP of $107,706, training to be a professional wakeboarder will be far too expensive for most people. With 2,850 lbs of factory ballast, not many of us can afford the gas of running full ballast. If the cost of riding behind the Nautique flagship wasn't scary enough, just think of all the ACL's this boat will eat this season. Riders will go bigger and land harder.

By comparison, cable is much less expensive and much softer on the body.

Thanks for changing everything Nautique.
This from the guy who once threw a fit about boarding magazines having girls in bikinis in them. You continue to "impress" Cisco...

If the G23 helps keep people like you off the water and limited to cable parks, the G23 should win product of the year for the next decade.
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-14-2012, 5:57 PM Reply   
Don't get me wrong its sick what happen but let's not get a head of ourselves about this boat it was just an expression session both of them have landed wake to wake tens before on there boats at there houses and I have talked to people who have ridden behind the g23 and the wake is the same size as Last years xtsar
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-14-2012, 6:00 PM Reply   
Things being said about the G23 are the same things said about prior SANs and X-Stars... This marketing campaign is working really well.

This title should be, Nautique G23: 1 Big Push for FREE RIDING.

Keep politics out of wakeboarding.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            04-14-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
I spoke with riders who have '11 xstars and they said this wake of the g23 was wider than a normal nautique of course but that the wake was big compared to their xstar at home (but theyre also not using 5k of ballast n their xstars like some of the big guys).

If the wake isnt so big or game changing like some of you say...then why did they make the pro women ride with less ballast than stock?
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-14-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
Cable softer on the body? Have you ever seen Dean Smith boot off the kickers at cable parks? That's not softer. He's a machine.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-14-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
i rode the g23 a few days ago and is definitely the largest wake i have ridden behind in my life
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-14-2012, 7:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdsworth View Post
Cable softer on the body? Have you ever seen Dean Smith boot off the kickers at cable parks? That's not softer. He's a machine.
I mainly cable board as I don't have a boat. But boat is def harder on the body over cable. After 2 hrs on a boat I'm sorer then a whole day at the cable park.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-14-2012, 7:25 PM Reply   
Sure, the price of wake riding is a big factor in cable's growing popularity, but why single out the G23? It's far from the most expensive boat out there. The X-Stars that have been the standard for years were even worse, no?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-14-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaru View Post
I mainly cable board as I don't have a boat. But boat is def harder on the body over cable. After 2 hrs on a boat I'm sorer then a whole day at the cable park.
Totally agree. Falls behind the boat are way more brutal than cable. 7 mph is a huge speed difference (18-19 on the cable, 25+ behind the boat) and you can feel it on every fall).
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-14-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
Falls I can agree with... even 3 mph slower behind boat makes a world of difference. I'm talking on impact of landing itself. Speed vs amplitude are two very different things. Dean soars on cable. He takes it big on boat too, but I think he may boot higher on cable.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-14-2012, 8:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
This from the guy who once threw a fit about boarding magazines having girls in bikinis in them. You continue to "impress" Cisco...

If the G23 helps keep people like you off the water and limited to cable parks, the G23 should win product of the year for the next decade.
I get your point in noticing Ciscos contradiction by posting the random hot girl...but...

Since you bring it up you do have to admit its kind of odd (and more of a contradiction)to have very talented guys and girls (beautiful in their own right-Amber, nicola, Emily, Dallas, etc) being highlighted for their talent on one page of a wake mag/site, then random objectified girls on the next. I suppose it's all in a feeble attempt to garner more mag sales....let Sports Illustrated do what it does.

There's a reason the mags don't push having the pro women of our sport acting as pinups because it would be blatantly stupid, and simply weird. I would love to hear some of the top pro women discuss it.

Back to topic though-this will always be a major issue of our sport and thank God for cable being somewhat of a balancing agent because the bare essentials of our sport are astromical. Thankfully most of the boat companies make a great product allowing a healthy used market, but at the end of the day we all love a big clean green wake on a glassy lake behind a boat that is very pricey.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-14-2012, 8:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj2up10 View Post
I get your point in noticing Ciscos contradiction by posting the random hot girl...but...

Since you bring it up you do have to admit its kind of odd (and more of a contradiction)to have very talented guys and girls (beautiful in their own right-Amber, nicola, Emily, Dallas, etc) being highlighted for their talent on one page of a wake mag/site, then random objectified girls on the next. I suppose it's all in a feeble attempt to garner more mag sales....let Sports Illustrated do what it does.

There's a reason the mags don't push having the pro women of our sport acting as pinups because it would be blatantly stupid, and simply weird. I would love to hear some of the top pro women discuss it.

Back to topic though-this will always be a major issue of our sport and thank God for cable being somewhat of a balancing agent because the bare essentials of our sport are astromical. Thankfully most of the boat companies make a great product allowing a healthy used market, but at the end of the day we all love a big clean green wake on a glassy lake behind a boat that is very pricey.
While I am not completely in line with your thinking, I don't fault you for it or feel the need to disagree; at the same time you aren't posting the picture that Cisco did. No contradiction, no issue.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-15-2012, 6:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
So if you can't afford an F1 car you can't participate and enjoy Motorsport? If your good enough you will get sponsored and can continue your development with access to the best wakes and equipment, if your not good enough you can enjoy the sport for what it is, FUN.
I agree with this. If you have to have a wake as big as the G23 (or any other top wake boat sacked right out) to learn new tricks, you better be getting paid to wakeboard. I learn all my new tricks behind an I/O, and its a lot of fun to ride. Does that mean that I don't have plans to buy a V-drive at some point down the road? No way! Riding big wakes is way more fun, and if I have the means to buy a bigger boat, I will probably do so.

Sure the G23 is aimed at the top pros, but that doesn't mean the end of boat riding, it just means one more option for those that want the best.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-15-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
Well the g23 already ate Murray...
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-15-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
I never had a problem with girls in bikinis. Fat chicks who wear tights...that's a growing problem. I complained about WBM promoting a picture of a girl in lingerie lying on a bar inside some tavern. I'm not contradicting myself in this thread because I didn't post a girl indoors wearing lingerie. The girl above was at the CWC cable and I'm talking about cable in this thread. You guys gotta try harder than that if you wanna trip up the ol' GQ!! Haha
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-15-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
Did Shaun get hurt?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-15-2012, 3:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_sledge View Post
Did Shaun get hurt?
Broke his ribs on a kgb
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-15-2012, 5:05 PM Reply   
never even heard of the g23 before this thread... sounds sick
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-15-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Totally agree. Falls behind the boat are way more brutal than cable. 7 mph is a huge speed difference (18-19 on the cable, 25+ behind the boat) and you can feel it on every fall).
My local cable changes the speed during the week compared to weekends when it's a family park lol.
Even not falling I still think the boat is harder on the body.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-15-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
I don't think that pic is of a "random" hot girl. Isn't it Dallas??

Can't wait to try the G23 wake myself!
Old     (JohnP)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-15-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakekat15 View Post
I don't think that pic is of a "random" hot girl. Isn't it Dallas??

Can't wait to try the G23 wake myself!
It looks like it from this angle. We need a good height reference in the picture
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       04-15-2012, 7:14 PM Reply   
**Now that the benchmark wakeboat has a MSRP of $107,706**
I don't get why this is such a talked about subject? Did people really think the MSRP was going to be under 100k? I was stoked to see it wasn't 150K. It sure isn't the only 100k plus boat.

And as far as not affording to run a boat with stock 2850lbs of ballast, if someone spends 100k+ on a boat, I think they can afford filling it up. Im sure there are plenty of riders out there that are willing to spend more gas money to ride a big wake, including my poor college student self.

I have also gotten destroyed out on the cable just as hard as behind the boat, landings off kickers are a lot harder than a wake to wake.

Just my .02, and after watching the G23 pass by all day long at wake games, I gotta say the Boat and the wake looked awesome.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-15-2012, 7:24 PM Reply   
cool picture!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-16-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
Travis, that is the reality. If you can handle the fixed costs associated with owning a new "flagship" wake boat (X-star, G-23, VLX, etc.), the $4 gas isn't much. In fact, the more gas you burn, the more you delute the fixed cost through use. If you can buy a one of these big boats, but can't afford to run it, you need to re-evaluate your finances. If you love boat riding, you better stay in school, get a career that pays and still be ready for fork over some cash.

I do think it is a shame that when the first wake boat (maybe not the first), the pro-air came out in 1997 you could buy one for about $25-30k, but times change and the boats are much bigger and more comfortable.

I love cable and I do think it will be a permenant fixture in the future of wakeboarding for several reasons, cost being one of them, But it is tough to beat a day on the lake. Butter mornings, beaching and partying through the day and surfing til sunset. You can't do that at the cable park.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-16-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
so do you think you can't progress without having a 100k+ boat with the wake that it makes? i doubt that every pro rider grew up owning these kinds of boats! (insert byerly vid here, or an old shapiro vid for that matter). If you are going to quit riding just because you can't afford the best and most expensive stuff then the sport is probably not for you anyway. I think its also unfair to say that "the boat" is what caused murray to get hurt. he's been riding behind this boat longer than anyone at the competition! i think he's used to the wake. I would like to think that if you can throw a whole bag of tricks and do well in comps at a young age, then you have a shot at getting a sponsor. you aren't going to see the guys at any manufacturer go out and say, "ehhh he learned those tricks behind a direct drive, he won't make it all the way." i think it would be more along the lines of...."dayum, if he learned all that behind a direct drive, lets get him behind a boat with some size and see what he could be capable of!" stop hating on everything. I'm sick of hearing about the price of this boat too! i can't afford one, but its an awesome boat, i'm not crying about it though haha.
Old     (Brian)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-16-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
I can't comment on any of this, because I really can't get over the thinking about that girl sitting on me face
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-16-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
^^^^ hahahhhaha loooove it!
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-16-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I can't comment on any of this, because I really can't get over the thinking about that girl sitting on me face
post of the year.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-16-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
It must be warming up. This thread would have turned into a fight only a few months ago. I bet the boat-bun thread is just around the corner...
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-16-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
^ yeah - can we hurry on that already.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-16-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
Talked to some pro's who have rode the G23 and they all have said it is an insane wake, but when you have to bring 10 gallons of Premium vs 5 of regular just to take one set, the costs are just too high. Not to mention the $120,000 price tag.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-16-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
http://www.iwake.com/Video/492
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
just watched phil's winning run at the nautique games, the wake doesn't look any bigger than videos of the 230 or harleys xstar...
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
mallenger, thanks for the link...... wow!