Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
Well after this weekend I have noticed that my steering is not as easy as it once was. It has gotten super tight. The thing is like turning a car w/o power steering. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot that?

FORWARNED I AM NOT A BOAT MECHANIC AT ALL SO TAKE WHAT I SAY AS JUST A HUNCH after just taking a look see.
I took the side compartment off and noticed what looked like (for description purposes) "a shock" that met the rudded that seems to have grease inside. I noticed that the part that slides inside the shock has old grease stains but is bone dry and not slippery at all. Could that be the culprit? Also noticed there seems to be a cap on the end that kind of looks like it screws off. Was thinking that is how you refill the cartridge with grease. Take that cap off......Again just me toying around and taking a look getting to know the boat a little better.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-06-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
Sounds to me like your steering cable is sticking. All you need to do is put in a new one and problem solved. Pretty easy install you can do by yourself with a friend or you can take it to the dealer.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
Yeah its the cable. Straight forward to do.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
A tip for replacing the cable: tie a string to the end of the old one when you take it out and then tie it to the new one when you put it in and it will help guide it through.

lol I don't know if that made any sense though.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-07-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
pull the center floor panel when changing the cable. It will save you some frustration. It's simple to do to.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-07-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
I always heard to tie a rope to the cable, in changing one in a Supra for a friend we tried pulling the old one out and could not get it. After removing the floor panel found the cable zip-tied with other wires. Once the floor panel is removed there is no need for a rope on the cable.
Old     (noel_peterson)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-07-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
Swatguy, I just replaced one in an 02 x-star. Don't bother with a rope, use the cable that is in the boat now to pull the new cable through. 2 people a must. Pull floor, this is easier if you loosen the rear seat just a little. Tape, (lots) the new rudder end onto old steering rack end. My 13 old daughter pulled while I fed the new cable through the boat. Will get sticky as you past the bulkhead at the gastank but just be patience. You'll be done in under and hour after you've dis-connected the old one from the rudder.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
I second the duct tape attaching the two together....and second the patience. Much much patience. Mine only took an hour, felt like 3 cuz I was rushing thinking it should take 20 minutes.