Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-31-2018, 4:37 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever tried to make a makeshift "no profile" lift by adding decking to a normal vertical boat lift?

Besides the weight, I'm wondering if there would be any difficulties.

https://noprofileboatlifts.com/
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-31-2018, 8:09 PM Reply   
Man that would add a ton of weight. You'd have to get a lift way oversized as compared to your boat that I don't see why it would be worth it.

You're not talking adding 50 lbs, but thousands.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2018, 10:58 AM Reply   
Man thoes lifts are nice.
What if you just doubled a traditional hydro hoist’s lifting tanks. 2 tanks instead of 1.I can’t see the extra decking and supports weighing more then Another boat? I could see issues with my idea, what if 1 of the 2 tanks failed or did not fill/empty you would have some serious listing
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-02-2018, 5:31 AM Reply   
Man that thing is sick
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-02-2018, 7:58 AM Reply   
Never seen that before but those are sweet!

Seems like it might be overkill for the traditional covered lake dock. Looks great for more open style saltwater/bay docks
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-03-2018, 12:13 AM Reply   
wow those are impressive. maybe instead of multiple tanks G, just have two much larger ones. Houseboats in our area sit on 2 pontoons and they float hundreds of thousands of pounds. I think ours weighs around 240k. I think the trick with these is how it comes together so polished, not necessarily the amount of weight

Last edited by bass10after; 04-03-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-03-2018, 3:30 AM Reply   
The seagulls and other birds would love a platform like that to hangout on in my area.
Old     (sse01)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-03-2018, 8:11 PM Reply   
We did it on our floating dock, with overhead cable lifts. In my opinion, it is the best part of our dock. Instead of an in-usable hole in the dock, you have usable space. It does add weight, so that must be designed into the capacity of the lifts.

The best part of decked lifts are that you can easily wipe down or clean the boat, since you can walk all around the boat. Another nice thing is that we drop the lift into 6"-12" of water during the summer and set up chairs on it (when we have large crowds, we take one boat out so that we have an open lift!).

Items to consider:
-wave action causes the lift to bounce more than a traditional lift, even if the deck surface is heavier than water.
-you need a track to keep the lift from moving around. Ours has four wheels that ride up and down in the track.
-the lift will need additional structure to support the decking

As stated above, ours is a cabled lift. I had some ideas on how to do it with a Hydro-hoist approach, but did not end up going that way. I felt that it complicated the design.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-05-2018, 9:31 AM Reply   
@sse01 do you know how much weight the decking and additional support added?

Our dock has a permanent cable lift so adding a larger motor and possibly cables wouldn't be too expensive. Also, for the track is this something that you made yourself or bought as a kit? We currently have a 7000# lift and a 4500# boat so I'm assuming the decking would bring the total weight over the limit.
Old     (sse01)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-06-2018, 6:30 AM Reply   
It looks like Trex weighs 2.3 pounds/linear tt (4.6 pounds/square ft). The additional structure probably weighs 500 pounds. Those two combined to approximately 1,500 additional pounds. Based upon these numbers, you would be close!!!

Everything was made by a custom dock builder. The track is made from channel that extends under water. Send me a private message, I can send pictures and rough drawings.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-06-2018, 7:33 AM Reply   
This is a dream dock for sure, love the fact that you could walk around boat to wipe it down, wax it, etc