Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       09-30-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
A Supra Launch SSV went over the top of a Bayliner 19ft outboard at 10:30pm last night in a narrow channel and there was 1 dead and a bunch of injuries. The video shows both boats being hauled away. The Supra was mostly white with black accent stripes and had some distinct stickers on the front that said something like "Hydrofail" or something, but it wasnt easy to read in the video. I figure somebody on here knows them and can update if everybody else is ok.
http://www.king5.com/video/index.html?nvid=287887
Upload
Upload
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-30-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Sadly, there was another fatal boating accident on Lake Washington on Saturday evening.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008212041_boatingfatal29m.html
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-30-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Why do these idiots haul a$$ around in the dark? Heard about crashes on lakes and the ricer, with almost all the same circumstances. Almost all the boat crashes I hear about are driving at high speed at night, and hitting another boat. It is just tragic that someone has to be that careless and stupid.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
I think there are a few reasons these accidents happen. Some involve alcohol, some involve inexperience and some involve people being out at night without the proper lights.

I was out cruising the lake at dusk a few weeks ago and there were a couple dumb kids paddling a blow up canoe in the middle of the lake. When we were cruising towards where the sun set you could see them ok but going away from where the sun set you couldn't see them at all.

If you are out on a boat in the dark without lights you are asking to get hit.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-30-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
About 2 years ago a speedboat, coming from one of the marinas after drinking was hauling @$$ on the lake (we don't have a speed limit day or night) and ran into a fisherman in a pontoon. Killed the fisherman and the guy got probation for a year...Not banned from the lake, no jail even...just probation...frustrating to say the least...we don't generally go out too much in the night, due to things floating in the water or people that run wide open around the lake...
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-01-2008, 6:18 AM Reply   
Whenever I run at nite I keep all my tower lights on...they will light up anything within 50 yards of the boat. I'd rather pay a ticket than get in a wreck.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-01-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
Sam there is a reason it is illegal to do that. It blinds anybody coming at you.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-01-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
There's a couple other reason too. Navigation lights allow approaching boats to know what direction another boat is heading, and determine if an accident is possible or likely. Your tower lights can confuse oncoming boats by making it difficult for them to see the navigation lights.

And you'll get a ticket.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
The guy in the Supras name was Neil Larson according to the news report.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-01-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
That sucks.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-01-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
On 4th of July I was heading down river following a fireworks show. All of a sudden I heard screaming, powered down, and realized I had missed 2 drunkass girls in a raft about the size of a bathtub that were drifting, oarless, in the middle of the channel, with no lights. I picked them up and gave them a ride back to their campsite. That would have ruined the night, for sure.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-01-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
Robert, If you coudn't see them, you were going too fast. They may have been putting their lives in danger... but you were at fault too for going fast without knowing what was around you.

Just my $.02

(Message edited by phenom_1819 on October 01, 2008)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
How do you know Cal maybe he just wasn't paying attention.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-01-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
it doesn't matter if he was or wasn't paying attention going slow, or anything. you hit someone in your boat- you are going to be at least partially at fault- no ifs ands or buts. I would not want to be a party to anyone getting hurt or killed- even if it was totally out of my control.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-01-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
Or just maybe he was paying attention but it was extremely dark with no moon? Could be many reasons. Geez Cal, maybe hold your $.02 until the facts are known before ripping someone?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-01-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
That's where i'll disagree Will. Happened to a friend of mine a few years back. He was following all the rules and regs, in fact he was actually running below the required speed with all nav lights and safety precautions in place. Out of nowhere a dumba$$ cuts right across his bow and he T-boned him punching a nice hole in the other guys boat, couple people slightly injured. The investigation exonerated him from all wrong doing, placing ALL the blame on the other guy. He still felt like crap but at least he knew he did everything right.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-01-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
Razzman,

If it was "extremely dark with no moon" and he couldn't see... Um, if you can't see... Do I really need to explain??

Say you have to run when you can't see. I'd sure hpe that you would slow your boat enough that if you hit something, you wouldn't cause damage (i.e. idle). The fact that the he "heard screaming" and he said it would have been a bad way to end the night... come on.

Back to the point I was making.

There are lots of idiots out there. When you are driving a boat, you have to take personal responsibility for whatever damage your boat is capable of causing -- whether the law determines you are at fault or not. THAT was my point.

(Message edited by phenom_1819 on October 01, 2008)
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-01-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for clarifying that to me Cal! I guess where your from nobody ever gets caught in situations that weren't anticipated, i'll remember not to let that happen! (Note to self: never run at night no matter what!) I guess Robert was going too fast! And while he didn't specify his exact speed, i'm really glad to know that "Heading down river" must be too fast, ... again note to self. What really sets me straight is that two dumb drunk chicks in a small raft are are so totally & completely visible in the dark, moon or not! Man i wish i could boat where you do 'cause it's just plain a$$ dark on my lake, i can't see squat. Guess i need night vision. And i'm really, really excited to know that even if not at fault, i'm still personally responsible for every dumba$$ that might 'cause contact with his vessel or person. I'm going to sleep sooo good knowing all of this.

"Back to the point I was making", well maybe if you'd have said it that way to begin with it wouldn't have sounded like you were standing on your soapbox making assumptions.

THAT'S my point.
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       10-01-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
All points aside.
Someone was killed by a wakeboard boat on a lake that is very heavily boated. The driver of the Supra was going too fast (5 mph no-wake rule is in affect after twilight) and not only hit a boat, but went through and over the boat.
Bottom line is that the navigation lights are hard to see regardless of what speed you are going. Especially on a lake known for high density traffic.
Let's not diminish the fact that someone didn't go home that night due to someone else being reckless.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-02-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
there have been times where i have come incredibly close to other anchored boats (while im idling) at night cuz its so dark...doesnt happen anymore cuz i have the bow lights but if there were times when i barely saw a boat, i can def see not seeing people in the water...the real scary thing is that people are stupid.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-02-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
I keep an automotive 1 million candlepower spotlight on board that plugs in the 12 volt accessory. In Tn, you can run your spotlight for max of 20 second bursts, so I just kind of scan across the water and move along on my way...Not trying to get off subject, just trying to provide other thoughts but it depends on the state for the light bursts if they are even allowed....
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-02-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
I wasn't going very fast at all.... had just got up on plane. There were several factors contributing to the situation -- but the worst was that in my boat the anchor light was pretty much right in front of the drivers line of sight. This basically made you half-blind while you were driving. The next day I fab'd up a tower light and put a search light in the boat.