Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-01-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
Just out of curiousity, how much weight do you need to add to the new X-Stars to make a world-class wake?
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-02-2006, 12:01 AM Reply   
depends on what engine you have... Haha. I rode one with 4200lbs of ballast (Factory + 4 750lb sacks), and the wake was UNBELIEVABLE. I would have called it near-world class... maybe slightly under. It also barely got on plane with the MCX (350hp), though it needed a different prop as well.

it's so wide and has so little vee to the hull, it requires quite a bit of weight to really get it over the hump to "world class". Though with a little weight, the wake is still solid.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-02-2006, 4:56 AM Reply   
The boat had 4200lbs and was "near world class". What boat has a better wake than that? I have an 06' that has 3200lbs of ballast, and have had tons of the top riders in the world behind it, and they say it is the most fun wake they have ever ridden. I have the MCX with the OJ 14.25x14 and it handles it fine.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-02-2006, 4:57 AM Reply   
The boat had 4200lbs and was "near world class". What boat has a better wake than that? I have an 06' that has 3400lbs of ballast, and have had tons of the top riders in the world behind it, and they say it is the most fun wake they have ever ridden. I have the MCX with the OJ 14.25x14 and it handles it fine.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
If an xstar with 4200 lbs, that you claim is unbelievable, isn't world class what is??

Also what boat out there is gonna get on plane with 4200 lbs?
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-02-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
jeff,

an epic.

http://www.epicboats.com
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-02-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
I’m with Travis...we run the same weight and the wake is simply amazing...some of the best riders in Europe are totally blown away by it.

Around 3k, a few mates and you are not going to be disappointed. Ours even planed out with the stock prop & MCX (took a little while though) however, we are on a very long lake and have the time to wait.

Travis - we are thinking about the LY6 for the new boat. I have heard really good reports about the new 6.0 in the Star. Do you have any further insight? Will you stick with the MCX & 14.25x14 for your new boat?

I know you are running yours at the camp - ours is for training only and we only ever run slammed. I’m thinking the extra 50 horses may be a better option? Many thanks for letting me know your thoughts...
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-02-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
I ordered my 07' on Friday and I got the MCX again. I have been really happy with my setup this year. I haven't spent alot of time in the LY6. I drove Zane's for a bit and thought it was good. I'm just not sure about how the gas consumption compares.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-02-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
OK, thanks for the comments. I have a few months until we have to order - I will wait to hear from other folks out there that moved from the MCX to LY6 and hopefully hear how it goes with gas consumption.

Cheers,

Paul
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Charlie, so I hear. But till a few more people get there hands on one, I'll reserve an opinion. Not bashing the Epic, but hype is hype. It isn't a great boat just because a couple people that have ridden behind one once, think it rocks.
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-02-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
i have had two x-stars both with 8.1 L's and i ride with full ballast and then a 2 x 440 pound sack on each side in the rear and 2 x 280 pound sack one on each side in the front. i think thats the best setup. its still well balanced and easy to get out of the whole.
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-02-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Fly High has a 4 sac set-up available for the X-Star. *new* for 2007. Part #W715 It will be priced at $6-hundo and will fit perfectly in the 2 rear v-drive compartments and 2 under the bow seats up front.
Weight is aprox 2.5-3g's in addition to the factory ballast.
Same setup that we did for the Pro Tour Boat this past season as well as Zane's ride.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-02-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
I'm calling BS on the 4k thing. I'd love to actually weigh one of those 750 sacs and see what was really in them.

Charlie is right... The Epic does get on plane with 4k in ballast. Not only does it get on plane, but it does it fast. With 4k it'll outrun my X2 with half that much weight. Not sure about fuel consumption though. And yes, it still needs some bugs worked out.
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-02-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
Jeff,

I never said an epic rocks (not that you said I did). I just said it can get up on plane. I'm sure they wouldn't have that much weight if it couldn't handle it...cheers.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
Bad choice of words on my part. The Epic maybe great, but till I see one, and drive one, it'll be hype. I still have met very few that have first hand knowledge/experience of these boats.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-02-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
What Travis said!!!!!!!!!!!and I own a malibu
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-03-2006, 3:23 AM Reply   
We are runnning about 3500# of total ballast. We have the MCX and had to reprop for sure. Even with the new prop it is not ideal on a small lake setup (private lake) as it takes about 1/3 of the lake to set up.
But the wake is perfect. Everyone that has ridden behind out boat loves it.
We now have the custom Fly-High system and everything plumbed in to the standard ballast system, making it very easy to fill/empty.
My next X-Star will get more horses though...
Old     (big_b)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-03-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
in my 06 xstar we have the 385 motor. we use the factory ballast plus two 600lbs in the back and just like a 200lbs one in the bow. (plus all the people we pack in there) needless to say its a pretty nice wake
Old     (boarderx)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-03-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
what tipe op sacks do you use and where do you place it?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
Travis, don't forget your dog thats another 3 lbs. lol
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-03-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
Come on man, he's a solid 15. Plus we put him all the way in the back. Upload
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-03-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
Haha... I say "near-world class" because I'm not a world-class rider. The "near" was my disclaimer: it seemed world-class to me, but what do I know? To me, the X-Star wake was UN-BE-LIEVABLE. That's all I know. Perfect shape, size, firmness. BUT, that's for me, and I'm no world-class rider.

Why call BS on the 4,000lbs Evan?? Guilty until proven innocent? I understand the sacks probably weren't completely full, but there were multiple people in the boat as well.

By the by, Nick Jones (CWB rider) claims he packs 10,000lbs of ballast in his boat (at least told his local dealership so), so we should track him down to ask how the wake is...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-04-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
Wow Travis hes grown since I saw him at Liquid Sports. He doesnt look like a mouse with long legs anymore.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-04-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
10k ballast in a new Star? I have heard of a certain pro rider dropping 7k in one...10k must be fun to plane out.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-04-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
It was pretty funny to see Travis's dog in the boat at the Graveltour last WE. He is obviously used to being in the boat all the time. He just stands on the sundeck when the boat takes off.

10K is impossible if you ask me. That would be like our boat with all the ballast and an extra 30-40 (!!) people ?!? I guess what is meant 10K total, boat, ballast, gas, people ?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-04-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
I just call BS because the companies making the Sacs seem to fudge their numbers pretty badly. Getting a true 750 in one sac it would have to entirely fill one of the rear compartments. I'm just saying I'd like to weigh some boats that people claim numbers on and see where they really are.

10k I would have to see in person. I'm pretty sure that'd make a X-star go straight to the bottom of a lake. The only numbers I truly believe are weights in lead. I don't even take MC's word on how much ballast they claim as factory.

Travis, how about posting your set ups? Not sure if you keep your secret recipes under wraps or not, but I've heard how dialed your boats are. I'd love to know what you think about weighting all the boats. X1, X2 and X-star. We're trying to make our mind up about a boat for next year. I'd love to hear what you think about the choices.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-04-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
The Fly-High sacks are supposed to be 825 each. The almost fill the complete compartment next to the engine.
The swimplatform goes from being 3 inches out of the water to just under water. It is a lot of weight.
Old     (boarderx)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
Travis, how about posting your set ups? Not sure if you keep your secret recipes under wraps or not, but I've heard how dialed your boats are. I'd love to know what you think about weighting all the boats. X1, X2 and X-star. We're trying to make our mind up about a boat for next year. I'd love to hear what you think about the choices.
Old     (boarderx)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
Travis, how about posting your set ups? Not sure if you keep your secret recipes under wraps or not, but I've heard how dialed your boats are. I'd love to know what you think about weighting all the boats. X1, X2 and X-star.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-04-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
uhhhh.....

George, Huh??? I never knew I was that quoteworthy.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-04-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
In my boat I run the stock ballast, the 750's in the rear, and the 260's up front. I also run another 3-400lbs of lead in the nose. I can usually put 6-7 people in the boat with all of that, as long as one or two people are in the bow. I like the nose heavy. You have to be a little more careful driving, but it makes it plane quicker and handle better under speed.

As far as the X2 I haven't spend a lot of time in one, but the best one I was in, had near 1000lbs of lead in the bow, and 550 on each side of the engine. I had one at the camp for a couple of days and only had 350 on each side and probably 600 up front and was pretty happy with it, with 5-6 people in it. I think it's the best handling boat out right now.

My old X1 setup was about the same as everyone else probably. I had about 800 in the nose, and I would just but side sacks on each side of the stock tanks in the back. I ran the back a little lighter than a lot of people to take a little of that lip off of it. I would even leave the stock tanks empty sometimes depending on how many people were in the boat. The wake is so firm, it doesn't need it. People use the freak out because my platform wasn't under water, and then they would ride and love it.

I think most people run their stuff about the same, I am just a big supporter of heavily weighting the bow.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-04-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
And, I am going to agree, there is no way in hell anyone put 10,000lbs in one in less they opted for the jet engine, or have another one towing them.
Old    sandvign            10-04-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
Hey Travis...Does running that 14.25x14 XMP Edge prop doing any harm to your engine. Unfortunately I the boat I have now will be the boat I have forever, so I need to keep her in tip top shape. Does that prop make it run at a high RPM? What about gas consumption running that? Better or worse? I have considered making a switch to an aftermarket prop, and the XMP Edge was at the top of my list, but its hard to find someone that really knows what they are talking about in my area. Also, what do you know about cup size? Does that really make a difference? Which size do you recommend? By the way...thanks for your help in advance.

(Message edited by sandvign on October 04, 2006)
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-05-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
It actually runs lower rpm's. That's the beauty of it. It's quicker out of the hole, runs lower rpm's, and saves gas. It's the miracle prop. I highly recommend it. It completely changes the boat.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-05-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
Travis, so what is your rpm reading at around 23mph ?
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
shelstad- "Fly High has a 4 sac set-up available for the X-Star. *new* for 2007. Part #W715 It will be priced at $6-hundo and will fit perfectly in the 2 rear v-drive compartments and 2 under the bow seats up front."

I can not find these anywhere. do you know where i could get them?
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
travis- what cup are you running. will it benefit to run the prop with out the extra weight yet.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-05-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
Have to give the nod out to 14.25x14.5 prop. Used to run a 14x16 then got turned on to the new OJ XMP Edge. Prop definately makes the boat plane a lot faster!

Monkeying with the weight distribution we tried 2000lbs of lead in the rear plus stock balance. The boat would get on plane with a little work--but stopping was pretty scary! (Bow would start to point at the sky and felt like the boat wanted to do a Titanic.) Steep as hell wake--moving 600lbs to the bow made the boat much safer to drive.

(Message edited by Whit on October 05, 2006)
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-05-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
I'm just using the standard one they send on that prop. We talked about modifying it a little for when the boat is really weighted, but it would've raised the rpm's a bit.

And, Eddy, I would guess I'm running around 3600-700 at 23. Really the only people that ride with the boat fully weighted ride closer to 25, and I'm just under 3900. That's a pretty huge improvement from my LQ9 with the 13.7x15 that was at 4600.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
Travis' wake was sick as hell!! I was digging it a lot.

Travis.......you smell.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-05-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
One of my riding buddies has an 05 or 06 and has 3500 in it with the XMP Edge. It gets on plane in 7 seconds (we timed it) and the wake is ridiculous. I always say that even though I love my boat (05 LSV), if I get a new one in the next few years, it's going to be a tough choice between the MC and Malibu.