Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-13-2012, 7:32 PM Reply   
I've been wakesurfing for about 5 years now and just haven't been able to progress to the level that I wanted to on the various boards that I have owned so I decided to sell a few of them and buy a new board. I wanted something that would allow me and my friends to get some air, even though we are all 185 - 220 lbs, something fast and something that we could kick back and not have to work so hard on. So I sold my Inland Yellow Loogey and our Phase 5 Prop and decided to go with The Walker Project. I called up Dennis and he told me about a new model for this year and it sounded perfect, the 4'9" Bomb Pop. How could you go wrong with a name like that? I took delivery about 2 weeks ago and I have to say, I couldn't be happier.

On my old boards, I was nowhere near figuring out how to get air and after only 2 times out on this board, I feel like I am already getting close! The board is stupid fast, most of the time I am riding on my back foot and then when you want to go, it goes! My brother who is 220 just can't believe that he is able to ride a board that is this agile, this light and this fast at his weight! I will keep updating this thread as the season goes on but I just wanted to get my initial impressions and some quick pics out there so people could get their orders in now!

If you are looking for a board to compare it to, I would say it's really close to a Soulcraft Jetty but has a little more rocker (maybe?) as it doesn't pearl as easy.

Here's a couple of pics, I am close to going vertical...hopefully in a few weeks I can post a real picture up! Thanks to The Walker Project and Dennis Horton for making my summer a whole lot more fun!
Attached Images

Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-14-2012, 2:31 AM Reply   
Very nice board, good luck with it. What was the turn around time on the board?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2012, 5:41 AM Reply   
We are building them right now for inventory. Should be able to get them in a week or so from this batch. Custom airbrush or carbon deck will take a little longer.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
hey man, this board sounds like the shiz!

PLEASE PLEASE keep us updated on how it performs (I too roll heavy 200+ and my brothers even more so)
we ride aggressive, and want something that can help us!
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-21-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
I couldn't agree more....Timmy had the BP with him at a Demo we did and it truly fits him well. As soon as we have a surf comp in
the Denver area look out, timmy will be ready. Question is, "will you"?

Timmy, Nice sticker Bro!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2012, 3:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwhit View Post
hey man, this board sounds like the shiz!

PLEASE PLEASE keep us updated on how it performs (I too roll heavy 200+ and my brothers even more so)
we ride aggressive, and want something that can help us!
I am happy to report that my brother who is 220lbs is also throwing down the best riding of his life. I think you should order one up!
Here's a pic of him. He is learning to do some slides which he could never do before because he couldn't keep up with the boat.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2012, 3:58 PM Reply   
Here's another nice action shot in the shallow section of the lake we ride at (only 6' deep so the wave doesn't develop). Rider in this pic is 200lbs.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-21-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
RJ has been getting some good time on both the TWP Bomb Pop and the new Signature model from TWP. Both of these boards seem like a big step forward. They are both FAST, very fast. RJ giggles when he puts his foot down. The thing that seems to make them a great step forward, is that they seem VERY forgiving. That is not just from watching RJ, but several others ride them, like Dennis, Chris Martinez, Maddie and Whitney, a pretty wide range of riders and skill levels. RJ rode the 4.9 sizes of both boards first, and then got a chance to try the 4.5s. When he rode the 4.9s he felt that they were faster than the original flyboy, and definitely much more forgiving. However, its a longer board, so that should be the case. For instance, if he widened his stance too much on the 4.5 original flyboy it would go down fast and he would pearl and faceplant. He still loved the board, a game changer when it came out no doubt. As he grew and widened his stance more, he became more and more uncomfortable riding it, having to narrow his stance more, due to his growing like a weed. RJ is now 6'. So RJ gets to ride the 4.5 signature and bomb pop, and whoah, it was all over his face. He loved the speed, but he kept looking at me with amazement and saying, "Dad, I can't pearl it!" He was accelerating forward and then pressing his foot down, trying to pearl it, and it didn't go down.

As for the Bomb Pop, its the same with 2 added benefits. It pops you off the lip like no other board for RJ yet, hence the name. Also, RJ seems to have more control when stalling revert or doing anything in reverse. The only negative is that with the thicker tail the rails in the back seem to catch on landings and spins and stuff. Its minimal, but enough to make him tell Dennis about it and explain what he felt. Overall, 2 amazing boards. Maddie doesn't want to surf much anymore when the 4.5 signature isn't around. More control, less pearling, and I saw the difference right away, she can recover from VERY far back. Maddie stinks at pumping and we are always turning around to get her. The 4.5 Signature is going to save me gas! Keep in mind she is coming from an older 4.0 Signature, but she has ridden other boards, this board gave her the extra speed, added control and extra forgiveness, all things a budding surfer could use. Now for some pics.

Before I show the pics, we forgot the battery for the Canon SLR this day, and so I used a go pro hero2. Not as good in color or clarity, but I felt comfortable hanging it over the side so had some fun there.

Here is Maddie, first time on the board, and the first time she ever got the fins out of the water, can't make stuff like that up.

GOPR2412 by wake9, on Flickr

Here is Whitney about to ride, her riding pics were too dark, but you can see the shape and tail here. Notice the 4.5, front traction goes all the way to the logo.

GOPR2614 by wake9, on Flickr

This is dennis on the 4.5, that's 280 lbs on the 4.5. The only 4.5 he could ride before this was the orignal flyboy. Dennis rode it faster and farther back than I can remember, at least the same.

GOPR2643 by wake9, on Flickr

Here he is on the 4.9, he was able to ride almost as far back as his 5.3 goofy board, but I didn't get a shot all the way back this day, hard on the go pro.

GOPR2666 by wake9, on Flickr

Here he is attempting air. D'oh!

GOPR2679 by wake9, on Flickr

This is the best pic I have of the shape and size, its a small board.

GOPR2755 by wake9, on Flickr

RJ had no problem riding the 4.5 as far back as any board.

GOPR2784 by wake9, on Flickr

GOPR2788 by wake9, on Flickr

RJ got some good air on the 4.5.

GOPR2810 by wake9, on Flickr

This is my favorite air picture of him on the 4.5, this is behind the Harrington's Supreme.

IMG_6565 by wake9, on Flickr

You can't miss that fat tail of the Bomb Pop.

GOPR2986 by wake9, on Flickr

This one is less distorted by the GoPro.

GOPR2991 by wake9, on Flickr

RJ loved going in reverse on this board, he felt he had lots of control.

GOPR3154 by wake9, on Flickr

Now here is the thing, the Z3 gives him good pop, and then add the Bomb Pop, he got higher than any other board I have seen to date consitently. He gets great air on the Soulcraft Jetty and the Shred Stixx Custom Pro, but the pictures don't lie.

GOPR3075 by wake9, on Flickr

GOPR3076 by wake9, on Flickr

Anyway, great board, and don't take our word for it, demo it. I know johnboy is coming up this weekend and going to get a good ride. I was actually working on some video, which I will finish later tonight and post.

I was gonna start a new thread, but Timmy beat me to it, so I thought I would jump in here, been working on this for a while, but wanted to get some good time on the boards.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2012, 6:18 PM Reply   
Dayum! RJ is boosting there! I need to learn the technique so I can try and get some air!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-21-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
Well get your butt down here and lets ride, bring squid with you. ;-)
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
Well get your butt down here and lets ride, bring squid with you. ;-)
Maybe this fall! Polar bear!
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-21-2012, 9:19 PM Reply   

Timmy working his BP n the sun set!
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-21-2012, 9:21 PM Reply   
Polar bear It is Timmy.....The Squids are planning on it!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-21-2012, 9:28 PM Reply   
That's a great pic...
Old     (Rob17)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-22-2012, 12:16 AM Reply   
Squid, that pict is flipping fantastic! Can't wait to see ya back in Nor Cal!
Come on out and play!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Timmy working his BP n the sun set!
People are really digging this and the other pics that my brother took on Wed night. He's getting the hang of his new Nikon D7000.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
Looks killer! Pretty impressed that the 4'5" can hold a guy Dennis' size. I love TWP and have two of Mikes boards now. Maybe time for a 3rd.
Old     (SacSurfer)      Join Date: May 2012       06-22-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
I'm only 195 but 6' I have ridden both the original flyboy and the IS flyboy, SS Elevation and SS Custom Pro, I would love to try this board in the 4'9"

The tail looks super flat, is that why it's breaking loose for more "Pop" off the lip?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
The 4'9" will definitely be faster for you than the Flyboy. The 4'9" is also lighter than the Flyboy too. I think that full traction pad from IS weighs that board down some.
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       06-22-2012, 9:35 PM Reply   
I have a 4'5 carbon Bomb pop and I have have progressed more in two sessions on it than I did in two years. It is light, responsive and an overall blast to ride.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-22-2012, 10:18 PM Reply   
Great pics and nice looking boat.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-22-2012, 10:28 PM Reply   
I have been watching video of RJ on the 4.5 and 4.9 Signatures, and then the 4.9 Bomb pop, and I will be sharing, almost done. But I am not sure he would be better off with the 4.9, he was really rocking on the 4.5, I am thinking he only needs like a 4.7. He didn't have any issues with pearling at all on the 4.5 and it didn't force him to shrink his stance.
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       06-22-2012, 10:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Great pics and nice looking boat.
Yeah I miss that boat!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-22-2012, 10:44 PM Reply   
We crossed 100 hours today, crazy, just before we ran out of gas about 300 yds from the slip, D'oh! 11+ hours on a 48 gallon tank is pretty good though, I thought we could give nathan one more run and make it back. Tomorrow john boy and nathan get to try out TWP sigs and hopefully a bomb pop.
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-23-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
Props to Timmy's Brother, I did not take that pic....Just re-posted it because its an amazing pic. Rob, congrats on the new vessel. See you at the Polar Bear...

Thats right Ragboy, hide your keys....
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-24-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
We crossed 100 hours today, crazy, just before we ran out of gas about 300 yds from the slip, D'oh! 11+ hours on a 48 gallon tank is pretty good though, I thought we could give nathan one more run and make it back. Tomorrow john boy and nathan get to try out TWP sigs and hopefully a bomb pop.
That is a pretty impressive fuel consumption rate. We run about 2200 #'s of ballast in our 23' Enzo and use just under 8 gallons per hour.

What prop do you have on your Z3?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-25-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
We have the 1235 on it, it had the 381 stock. The 381 just didn't have enough pulling power for any extra weight. The 1235 worked perfect on our 24Ve with the 340HP motor, top speed only dropped from like 42 to 41mph. On the Z3 with the PCM 409 engine, the 1235 wants to rev the engine too much when cruising, which we don't do often. I have a couple of other props to try, one is the 5 blade, the other is the same diameter as the 1235, but different pitch to better match the motor.

With the 1235 the Z3 gets 4GPH if nothing but surfing. If we do any amount of cruising also, it seems to go to about 5 GPH. I think if we get the prop right, we should be at 4 GPH even when cruising around 25-28mph, our usual.

It really is great when hosting another family like we do many times and you surf ALL DAY. We can 10-11 hours of solid wakesurfing without coming in for gas, so it lasts all day on the 48 gallon tank.
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2012, 11:10 AM Reply   
http://youtu.be/X-tPXuWCZ2Q

RJ going easy on Chris Martinez's new Carbon BP! sorry for the pore video quality, the iPhone was hard to hold after a long day on the lake.

Notice RJ's sun burnt left knee, boat naps will do that to ya.
Old    JasonDJ            06-25-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
http://youtu.be/X-tPXuWCZ2Q

RJ going easy on Chris Martinez's new Carbon BP! sorry for the pore video quality, the iPhone was hard to hold after a long day on the lake.

Notice RJ's sun burnt left knee, boat naps will do that to ya.
Nice riding RJ,

Allan, check out this PSA on Vertical Video Syndrome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

Sorry, just had to post it ....lol
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-25-2012, 3:41 PM Reply   
Thumbs up Jason, that was great, RJ and I were laughing out loud on that one. We have been dealing with that issue on mywake with several videos. I was on the boat yesterday with a couple we hosted to give some surf time to and she is holding the iPhone vertical and shooting video. It took all I had to not grab the phone, lol. Now I will keep a copy of this video on my iPhone for just such an occasion.
Old    JasonDJ            06-25-2012, 4:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thumbs up Jason, that was great, RJ and I were laughing out loud on that one. We have been dealing with that issue on mywake with several videos. I was on the boat yesterday with a couple we hosted to give some surf time to and she is holding the iPhone vertical and shooting video. It took all I had to not grab the phone, lol. Now I will keep a copy of this video on my iPhone for just such an occasion.
LOL...yeah It’s a pet peeve of mine.
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
That was awesome! and educational!
Old     (TheWoons)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-06-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
I've got two of these Bomb Pops coming, one for myself and one for my wife and we can't wait to ride them.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
Post pics and how you like them when you ride, great boards.
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-06-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
Hearing all this talk about the Polar Bear...do we have a date on that yet?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
working on it..
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-06-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
i wonder what this board would ride like in a 4'7?