Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-25-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
Not sure if anyone has seen this little guy... but it looks to be awesome, shipping is backed up so I haven't tried myself.

It is a small dongle that connects to a HDTV via HDMI.... then connects to your WIFI and allows streaming from any of your devices (tablet / phone / etc) through to the device. Sort of like Mac's airplay.

Seems to work great and the best part, $35. I figured my first one would be used in the bedroom to get netflix to the TV without needing any extra boxes/devices (not a wifi/smart tv).

....fingers crossed we'll see a XBMC (or similar program) that will allow for streaming as well... this will make linking the HTPC to any tv sooooooo simple.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...s-hard-to-get/
Old    bigdtx            07-25-2013, 5:16 PM Reply   
I'm interested in this one. I have an old WD TV box plugged into an external USB HD with a few hundred movies on it. I've been thinking about doing an XBMC box but haven't had the time. I'm on a few forums and it seems like people have a lot of problems with it - but obviously nobody posts their success stories. Do you have an XBMC box? If so how do you like it?
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-25-2013, 5:33 PM Reply   
I just ordered one of these from best buy. they are opening it up to the android developer market. i'm sure we will have ways to stream from our in house HTPCs Best part is if you have Netflix it really is only 11 bucks b/c you get a 3 month free code
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-26-2013, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Do you have an XBMC box? If so how do you like it?
Right now my HTPC is hardwired via HDMI to my receiver....so I have been just running XBMC that way.... with that said I do have a RapsberryPi in the bedroom with Raspbmc on it, this works quite well. I've never had it struggle even with 1080p and 5.1 audio. The Pi is only $35 too (need wifi dongle and sd card too).

Quote:
they are opening it up to the android developer market.
Because of this, my guess is that there will be an XBMC or Plex app in the very near future.

I think this little guy is going to be a homerun for google, and love the fact they've opened the door to HDMI dongle devices.... they'll be flooding the market soon.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-29-2013, 8:24 AM Reply   
Hey Nick. Do you have a remote that works with the Pi?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-30-2013, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hey Nick. Do you have a remote that works with the Pi?
This list is pretty spot on - http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals -

Search the list for " USB Remotes " for all that are verified working for the RPi