Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jzelt)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-06-2015, 6:28 AM Reply   
My son really wants to wakeboard. He is currently riding his E-Z ski ~18 mph so I can wakeboard with him. (He has wrecked and knows he is ok).
Looking to buy a wakeboard for him to use/enjoy. (No, we won't be towing him anywhere past getting up speed until he tells us to).
He is currently going to turn 4 yr old.
I know we can buy a new one ~$180.
Was looking for something cheaper if possible for him to try.
Looking for shipping to 16059.
Looking at 109 + unless others have another suggested size.
Thanks.
Old     (jsans)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-06-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
I have a LF fury 111 for my 6yo and 3yo. I don't think the 3yo is hindered by the size. The cheapest option may be to find a nemesis used on Craigslist.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-06-2015, 10:15 AM Reply   
bought a 119 divine with bindings under 200 last week. and I SEARCHED high and low for better options. there was an ebay auction on a used CWB; got into a bidding war and backed out as it approached 200.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2015, 12:59 PM Reply   
After a few years experience with my son, I've come to believe that the board size is less important than the fit of the bindings. My son has rotated back and forth between a LF Nemesis 118 finless and Ronix Vision 120. He is now 7 and about 50 pounds. The other day he had chance to ride and neither of his boards were available, so I put him on an old school Blindside Five-O 138 with the fins removed. He loved it - popped right up, was charging with more confidence and even started working on some surface 360s as the larger platform seemed to give him more stability and confidence. Now he only wants to ride the 138. All of this makes sense to me considering the success that Slingshot is having with the Nomad "longboard" concept and the reasons people are liking these.

But when his bindings don't fit properly, he is unhappy regardless.

The one liability I can see with a bigger board is if they get flipped over while preparing to start, it can be harder to get oriented back into the proper starting position if the board is big and heavy for them. But that can be overcome with a little practice in between sets.

Last edited by dococ; 08-06-2015 at 1:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old     (jzelt)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-27-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
Bought 121 Fury. He loved it and the color as it is his favorite.
He can't wait to hit the water.

Video trying to jump...Are we in trouble or what?
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-30-2015, 9:27 PM Reply   
Here is a 10 second clip of my four yr old riding cable. He rides boat a good bit as well. He can hit the small beginner features at the park. He's doing some one wake jumps and riding switch, and has a pretty good ollie as you can see in the last second of the video. We started at 3 on the Ronix vision and it has been a great board for him. I don't regret buying it at all and it looks like it will last him for a few more seasons as he grows and progresses. Don't limit him, it's amazing how they can progress with enough water time. On the flip side, don't push him either.

Make sure to get him a helmet. We use shredready. He is small and the board is big. Your son is also very flexible at that age. If he falls on his stomach it is very easy for the board to come up from behind and hit him in the head. Get him the best protective gear you can.

There is nothing more fun to me than a day on the water with my little buddy. Riding doubles with him keeps a smile on my face all day. Have fun!

https://video-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hv...2e&oe=55E3EE1B

Last edited by jward10; 08-30-2015 at 9:36 PM.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-18-2015, 8:50 PM Reply   
Sorry just realized that link didn't work.

Hope your little man has been loving the board!