Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-17-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
So a few months back my I went out with just my captain (no 3rd) for a few runs. We were doing just fine until the last run.

We had this plan to drive from Disco Bay to the twins, turn around and wakeboard back. Like I said it was working all day. Well on the last run we got a little greedy and turned around at Disco Bay (with out scooping for cops) for a few more jumps. As soon as we hit the first turn what did we see.... yep a cop. Well at this point there is nothing we could do so we just keep going passed right by him and nothing. I thought we have just gotten away from a ticket, but what do you know around the 2nd turn was another cop an this one was coming right for us. The cop was pretty cool though and just gave me the ticket and was on his way.

Well I just got the ticket in the mail yesterday and it was $180.00 OUCH.

I guess we won't be trying that again.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-17-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
Get a blow up doll and duct tape the flag to its arm. If you you blow it up enough the flag goes down when the boar gets up to speed then comes back up when you stop.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-17-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
Thats why I bought my blow up doll, honest

(Message edited by dbjts on August 17, 2004)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-17-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
what's a third? I always thought it was my mirror!
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-17-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
Too bad, I just hate it when people are penalized for being unsafe on the water.
Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-17-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
Really... Don't any of you see the safety issue? You have a third for a reason. The cops aren't just being jerks about it. I was surprised to see the post from that point of view! I'm new to the sport, and I still see the importance of a third.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-17-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
Ouch... That one will hurt the pockets
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
I've gotta say that we've ridden with only two on the boat before and I've never really thought it unsafe under the circumstances. It's not something we try to do, but when you're fiending for a ride and you can't find a third what are you gonna do...

Safety wise, I try to be as safe as possible and the only time I would ever consider riding like that is during a weekday or night. You also have to be vigilant and pay close attention to your rider. I've never had it become a problem with a good mirror and partially due to the fact that you don't have anyone else on the boat to pay attention to.

Regardless... I've always known the penalty is steep and have been willing to pay if I get caught. The guys I ride with kinda share the agreement that if one of us gets a fine we both split it.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-17-2004, 5:47 PM Reply   
You should check the state laws. It isnt against the law here to only have one person in the boat if you have a mirror. But cops still give tickets for it, which is wrong because there is no law against it.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-17-2004, 7:05 PM Reply   
It is certainly against the law in California to not have a third.

Thirds generally aren't too hard to find! If nothing else I check the cruiser docks and look for anyone over 12 who wants to go for a ride! If you can plan it a few days in advance you can usually pick up a third from here!

Rod
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       08-17-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
Sucks man. my lake is always dead, so its no big deal. shoot, my neighbors joke saying they're calling the cops, I holla back, "ya think it'll stop me?", to which their answer is, "nope, have a good night, we'll sit and watch from here!". But what you, I and many of us should look into is getting certified for a tourney/comp driving. Check it out, don't quote me on it, but I heard that with a certain certification you can legally drive w/o a spotter. Again, don't quote me on it, but check it out...I know I am just because.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-17-2004, 8:13 PM Reply   
safety issue? well I dont really see a safety issue, obviously they do but if you know what your doen, your know what your doen and I see no problem with it
I got busted this summer too, judge was cool, let me off with a lil less than 180 but def will never do it again... wait I did it today, will never do it again on a weekend... You'll call me ignorant but I know what my rider is doing at all times and I can monitor what is going on around me as well and not have to keep my eyes glued on him, its all feel, I can feel the rider, see the rider and see whats goen on, but I guess thats me, its hard for alot of people to register so many things at once...
anywho, try to get a 3rd, or a 10th... more ppl the sicker the wake anyway and 180 bucks... it might be worse if your a second offense

-Duane
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-17-2004, 8:59 PM Reply   
Safety issue certainly......
What happens if your rider knocks himself/herself out and you have to pull them from the water. What are you going to do? DRIVE the boat or SAVE your rider?
Not to mention if they need medical help and you have to run back to the dock.
With a 3rd, somebody is there to do what you can't normally do if you're driving.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2004, 12:31 AM Reply   
Or another scenario, your rider tries a new trick and goes down hard. You can't see where they land so you start looking behind you and all around. Meaning you aren't concentrating on driving the boat and can collide into a number of things. With a third/spotter you can focus on driving solely and concentrate on making a turn and getting back to your rider without causing an accident.

Which also leads us to the flag debate. In CA a flag is raised when a rider is in the water (not being towed). The flag alerts other drivers to drive extra careful so as not to hit the rider in the water. Can you honestly say you can hold a flag up and drive the boat back to your rider safely? Or think about it the other way. You are constantly watching your rider in your mirror so you don't see the downed rider from another boat directly in your path. Accident just waiting to happen. The law is there for a reason.
Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-18-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
Good points A.P. and Wakejunky. I wasn't trying to bust any balls here... I just think people should be extra safe. Like I said, I'm new to the sport. There are a lot of things I could still learn, but there are just too many dangers involved to not be careful. A few little extra steps to ensure that nobody gets hurt... Totally worth it!
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-18-2004, 10:33 AM Reply   
Having a third in the boat is not only a good idea for safety, but also because this sport revolves around hangin' with the bro's! I'm sure many of us have gone riding with no observer- isn't this usually when no-one else is around? There are many things that can go wrong, so if you do ride with no observer, be very confident of who's driving the boat......

I teach at a ski school- many times i'm driving and instructing, with no observer. Granted, we run 3 boats on a pretty decent sized lake, so traffic is not a problem. But we are CPR certified, s well s AWSA certified instructors. I'm not sure if that makes it legal though.... Anyone know for sure?
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
If you are the only one in the boat who opens the beer bottles whilst you drive
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-19-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   
Dave, I open the beer bottles, hold constant speed without perfect pass, watch the rider, watch other boats and the shore and carry on conversation on a phone all without a spotter. Wait till you see what I can do when I get PP jk boys

but in reality like jeff said, it doesnt make it legal but I have also been trained in cpr and first aid and also it depends whose driving, many people cannot handle driving alone, the one person I do trust he and I drive for eachother and even when there are other people in the boat, we are focussed on the rider, my boat is clicked into neutral as a rider downs before they say down sometimes...
AP valid concern, but what you describe would be a hazard with power turning, as soon as the rider falls you should dump the throttle, therefore theres nothing in front of/next to me, I can look back while turning at a slow speed to find the rider and then approach quicker if needed... Not saying its right and or legal and I dont trust people when I see it, but when the lake is not busy and the sheriff isnt out and we're dieing to ride then it happens... also AP you are riding the delta... it all depends on conditions and where I am on the lake...
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
I can focus on my rider and drive at the same time without a problem. I usually know that my rider is down before my observer tells me. Our lake is dead and often times it's just us..We still don't ride without a third, ever.
If my rider gets hurt and requires help, I can't do it alone. Ever tried to pull even a 100 lbs wet rider out of the water with his board/vest on, perform first-aid/CPR and drive? No thanks.. besides the obvious safety factor, you have liability to worry about.

B-
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-19-2004, 5:34 PM Reply   
There is no law in Texas for a third, and I can open my beer just fine by myself.I do not need government looking out for my safety.
Old    buttacup            08-19-2004, 11:58 PM Reply   
bug- you're lucky nobody was gunnel barring, that's a heftier fine. Hope to see you boys out on the water soon.