Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-09-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
After the welds snapped on my dbot5 surf rack and almost killed the person surfing, I have been thinking of building either my own cargo bimini or building a rack that would span the tower just above my existing bimini.

I know the z5 is the crem de la crem but I don't want to drop 2k on it. I like the monster bimini, but I am concerned with the size...I want something bigger. Plus, I have a perfectly good bimini, why not make something that incorporates it?

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on where to get bimini parts?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
I just made my own bimini for my boat. I'm sure it wouldn't be any different for making a cargo rack. I am also planning on getting a cargo net so I can put a few bags and gear on top.
Upload
Upload
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-09-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
I like it. What tubing did you use, and how did you attach it to the tower?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
Here's the right up.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/709331.html?1245773012
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
write up...........idiot!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
I just finished an over the tower bimini that I made with conduit and clamps, but I thought about doing a cargo style bimini with heavier conduit or exhaust pipe and having a muffler shop weld and bend the frame up.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
Stephen, Post Pics ! ! ! !
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-12-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
OMG Da Javu!!!
Nice top Dave! (wink, wink)
Looked for your original post but could not find it. That was a good post! So here we go again...

Upload
Upload
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-12-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
Now all we need is Todd here!
(he is working on his now i think)
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-12-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
Hey dave, todd, do you guys FBook?
I almost pulled off a 360 you guys ought to see!!
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-12-2009, 7:38 PM Reply   
Here you go Eric, Found it!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/679658.html?1242847779
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-13-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
Thanks Scott.

I have been taking a real close look at both the monster and the z5 biminis. It's easy to see why the z5 costs so much; there's a lot of work in that bimini between the welds, hardware and the bimini itself with all the pockets and what not on it.

The monster is clean and simple, but I want something a little more robust.

Does anyone know where to get the ball and socket tower clamps that z5 uses? I like the one piece design. I could always use a Taco flat deck socket attached to a speaker clamp.

Also, any reason to use stainless tubing over aluminum?
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-13-2009, 9:54 PM Reply   
So no DIY?
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-14-2009, 12:23 AM Reply   
Oh no, still diy. I was looking very close at the 2 for ideas for mine. I will weld a frame, versus clamping it together. I dont want any plastic. I also want to use clamps to attach it to the tower versus drilling mounts. Ive got my design and dimensions figured out, just need to decide on materials.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-15-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
My dealer has a local guy making a Z5 knock-off for my 210. This is the second attempt. The first one snapped in two in some wind. He is doing it with aluminum, but is using two diameters of tubing with one inside the other. The first one broke where there was a joint in the interior tubing. This one is to be made with one very long tube and only one joint in the middle of the back. The tower attachements are exactly the same as Z5 uses and the canvss is Sunbrella that is velcro'd around the tubing. For my boat the matching canvas look very sharp and I'll be very happy if they can get the frame as strong as the welded stainless on the Z5. When it is done and I'm happy I will post pictures.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-15-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
My dealer has a local guy making a Z5 knock-off for my 210. This is the second attempt. The first one snapped in two in some wind. He is doing it with aluminum, but is using two diameters of tubing with one inside the other. The first one broke where there was a joint in the interior tubing. This one is to be made with one very long tube and only one joint in the middle of the back. The tower attachements are exactly the same as Z5 uses and the canvss is Sunbrella that is velcro'd around the tubing. For my boat the matching canvas look very sharp and I'll be very happy if they can get the frame as strong as the welded stainless on the Z5. When it is done and I'm happy I will post pictures.