Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                07-25-2005, 8:33 PM Reply   
I've been trying a backroll the last 2 times out and have been having some trouble. When I come my closest I come all the way around and come down the opposite wake but then my board just slips right out from under me. I believe it's due to momentum and I just keep rotating. So i guess I'm asking how do I stop rotating and just come down straight?

I watched Detention and it looks like he moves the handle to his front hip, will this help? Any input will help, thanks
Old    stoked27            07-26-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
If you're over rotating, letting go with your back hand towards the end of the trick will help slow your rotation. If you're landing on your board and not your back, then you're most likely not over rotating. If I know that I hit the wake well, and I'm gonna getting more air than normal, I let go with my back hand.

I used to land on the board, but would fall backwards when the board would slip out from me towards the boat. I fixed it by making sure that I was standing tall right before I hit the wake.

I'm not completely sure what you're doing wrong, but maybe that'll help. good luck
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-26-2005, 9:29 AM Reply   
Evan...you might not have helped Dan, but I think you just helped me. Right now, I am getting good pop and getting to what I think is all the way around (I see the water coming and everything), but I keep landing in my extreme heelside edge and slipping out with the board going towards the boat. Sounds like the exact same problem that you were having. So, next time out, I'll make sure I stand tall right before the wake and see if that helps. Thanks for the post.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-26-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
Remember guys that how you leave the wake dictates how you land. If you are land well over on your heels its because you left with too much weight on your heels and are in a porr position throughout. My friend does it like this & he like raley cuts the thing & then is way screwed up when he lands. Think about cruising in on a nice easy edge and at the bottom of the wake really sinking the rails and leaving the wake nice and even. you really don't need a hard edge and it helps to try and take it up more than out. DO NOT throw your head down, you gotta take everything up & lead it with your chin. It's always better to hold on with both hands.

Check this link out, it's a video I made & has a few different folks doing backrolls the guy riding the Transcend at the end is my bro who does them over edged and then me on my Absolute at the very end is the guy who does them right.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=14800
Old                07-27-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
here's a video of me trying (sorry about the quality) but might help w/ suggestions. Thanks for the input so far!

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=16358
Old                07-27-2005, 9:01 PM Reply   
you're rotating to quickly, and initiating the roll just a little early. wait for the pop, then roll, then land.
Old                07-28-2005, 6:37 AM Reply   
Thanks I'll try and hold a little longer and see how that goes, thanks Cody.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-29-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
Dan...you also might try standing a little taller and trying to "load and release" the trick. It will help with your pop..."the Book" talks about this. I am also close on my back roll, I am just having a tough time sticking the landing like you are...except, I am slipping out on my heelside edge and not keeping the rope in close enough...thus I'm rotating too slow.

Trying loading the line a little more...I think it will help with your pop. Also, try a shorter aproach with a taller stance...it will take you more up than out which looks like part of your problem.

But I'm also trying to stick this trick, so I am by no means an expert.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-29-2005, 2:03 PM Reply   
What Andrew said, basically if you look at it what you are trying to do is throw the trick around. Basically hucking it. Granted you get around but the reason you slide out & have no control is because you are 22 inches off the water and have hucked the board behind you. Watch my video & pay attention to the way I ride through the wake. This trick isn't thrown. All you have to do is hit the wake with a good edge and lead the trick up with your chin. Less huck more....uhh stuck, yeah that rhymes. Big Heavy out.
Old     (elcarteros)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-01-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
I've been trying backrolls for a bit, with no luck. I keep landing switch. Can't figure out why. Where are you directing your chin to go. Over your lead shoulder?
Old                08-04-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
I've been working on the backroll for 2 years now and have experienced the over rotation due to going way too big and landing 10 feet or more into the flats. Before that I was always hucking myself too quick and having to spin so fast that I could never spot the landing. I landed my first two back rolls in a row last night after taking a medium cut and waiting until I was well clear of the wake to start my rotation, taking the trick up instead of out and relaxing. The other major correction I've made is really focus on having the handle in tight for control otherwise you feel this strange tug at the apex almost like when you do a raley that pulls you way off balance. As for the landing switch my buddy had me do a few without my back hand until I got the feel for doing the pulling with my lead hand and then it felt natural to put the other hand back on the handle and try, may not work for all but it helped me get the feel for the balance of tension between my two hands on the handle. If nothing else just keep trying you won't believe how good it feels to finally set that board down on the water and realize your still standing.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-05-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
Keep the handle as close to your body as you can when your doing the roll part. What that does it helps you spin faster. Then when you spot your landing let the rope back out and that will slow your rotaion down so you dont overrotate.