Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cbaker87)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-19-2014, 1:58 PM Reply   
I am thinking about getting 2 of these for my X45. Anyone have a review of them? Are there better lights in that price range $350-400 ea?

Thanks
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-19-2014, 2:54 PM Reply   
Here's the link for those who don't know what he's referring to. I had to look it up myself. Needless to say, I don't have any experience with them, but they look like they will be very bright. 3400 Lumens is no joke. I have a 500 lumen flashlight and it literally makes night into day, you can see it brightly in the day time.
If the water is clear enough, I could see you using that to look for dropped goodies in a party cove at night time lol
http://www.abysslite.com/product/min...hip-led-light/
Old    MJHSupra            03-19-2014, 4:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker87 View Post
I am thinking about getting 2 of these for my X45. Anyone have a review of them? Are there better lights in that price range $350-400 ea?

Thanks
I would also like to hear a few reviews from someone. I wa thinking of 2 blues ones. They appear to be bright at 2.6A and 3400 lumens. I like the size.

SeaBlaze3 has something out there at 2.5A. About the same price point.

I've also looked at OceanLEDs and Shadow Casters. They get great reviews but are more $$$.

Mark
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-19-2014, 5:36 PM Reply   
GET THEM!!!! I had the Abyss S800 series and they are very bright so I'm sure these will be even better. On my new boat I'm getting the mini starfish in blue as well.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-19-2014, 5:51 PM Reply   
Lumens is an unqualified spec within the underwater light biz and very hard to compare from brand to brand. It's almost meaningless.
Look at the amperage draw. The efficiency of underwater LED lights run fairly consistent. In my experience, the amperage draw and brightness ran parallel.
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-20-2014, 7:17 AM Reply   
I have the MC stock ones, and I love them. They are beautiful at night, and really add an atmosphere that I dont want to ever give up. Its a little hard to surf with them on if you arent weighted properly, as the lights wont always be underwater and shine and your eyes. I will say I wish I could change the colors on mine with a switch or with my onboard computer (the technology exists... common MC get with it).

I will say, I know for a fact that it makes me more visible at night. Which if anyone has ever driven a lot at night in a boat, knows thats a good thing, as people get a bit tipsy, not always pay attention, etc. So I find people give me a lot more room when I have them on.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-20-2014, 7:32 AM Reply   
I can't speak for the Abyss but I have (2) Lumitec Seablaze 3s in blue and they are amazing. Probably not quite as bright as the one listed due to slightly less amp draw but you can almost get two of them for the price of one Abyss...

http://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/L...8_p_92725.html
Attached Images

Old    MJHSupra            03-20-2014, 5:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShredSAN View Post
I can't speak for the Abyss but I have (2) Lumitec Seablaze 3s in blue and they are amazing. Probably not quite as bright as the one listed due to slightly less amp draw but you can almost get two of them for the price of one Abyss...

http://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/L...8_p_92725.html

Nice pic.

The regular Starfish Abyss are $639ish @3.8A.
Mini Starfish are $369ish @ 2.6A. Hard to beat the small size - 3"
SeaBlaze3 are $250ish @ 2.5A. Two good lights for $500 is pretty good.

Since the boat is in storage, I'm not sure what is going to fit under the 2007 Supra 22'.
Could probably do any of them.

Mark
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2014, 8:15 PM Reply   
Have you looked at the Lumitec Sea BlazeX? They're a little larger (4") and draw 3.6A but you can get them for about $$290.
Lots of color choices too.
http://www.lumiteclighting.com/produ...laze/seablazex
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-21-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
What about the Hurley Puck light @ $175

http://hurleymarine.com/shop/drain-p...k-light/#reset

Are they SeaBlaze lights able to do White & Blue color??

Last edited by BlitzedVLX; 03-21-2014 at 7:58 AM.
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-23-2014, 6:06 AM Reply   
Has anyone used Hurley Puck light, that screws into the drain plug.?? Seems like a cool Idea ..
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-29-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
I put in an order for a couple of the Sea Blaze X light's. The price is hard to beat. the shadow casters @3.5 amps the Abyss starfish @ 3.8 amps and the Seablaze X @ 3.6 amps made it an easy choice. I got two lights for $630 with shipping.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-13-2015, 7:01 AM Reply   
For those that don't want to drill into their hull, these plugs are almost half off at wholesale marine. - http://www.wholesalemarine.com/under...rd-drains.html
Old     (wkndsurfer05)      Join Date: Jun 2015       12-14-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
There's an interesting thread on PN about Roswell underwater lights. I've surfed a few nights with these behind the boat. Pretty unreal. No experience with the Abyss lights. http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/fo...derwater-led-s
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       12-15-2015, 11:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojedi View Post
Has anyone used Hurley Puck light, that screws into the drain plug.?? Seems like a cool Idea ..
I bought a cheap drain plug light off of Amazon to try it out. Didn't think about the center wake plate on my 02 Supra. I had a very bight wake plate and no light in the water.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-16-2015, 4:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by annq42 View Post
I have the MC stock ones, and I love them. They are beautiful at night, and really add an atmosphere that I dont want to ever give up. Its a little hard to surf with them on if you arent weighted properly, as the lights wont always be underwater and shine and your eyes. I will say I wish I could change the colors on mine with a switch or with my onboard computer (the technology exists... common MC get with it).

I will say, I know for a fact that it makes me more visible at night. Which if anyone has ever driven a lot at night in a boat, knows thats a good thing, as people get a bit tipsy, not always pay attention, etc. So I find people give me a lot more room when I have them on.
Stock MC U/W lights are Abyss mini starfish. They are nice lights.

IMO, you really get what you pay for with UW lights. I did a couple different plug type ones, and they were all garbage. Besides that, they didn't have a wide pattern at all. Since then, I have had lifeforms, abyss starfish, and shadowcasters. All of which were really good lights. Nice wide beam and 10x brighter than a plug light. Out of all of them, I liked the Abyss RGB Starfish the best, and ordered those for the new boat again. The big starfish lights are ridiculous bright, and they have an awesome controller.
Old     (Rakkasan3187)      Join Date: Apr 2015       01-16-2016, 12:52 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of the mini Starfish on my Supra.

And here is the only picture i have of them in the water. I apologize for the blurry picture.
Old    r33pwrd            01-16-2016, 1:12 PM Reply   
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1452978705935.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  21.7 KBhere are my lifeform 9s the water is shallow as the boat is at the dock but they work even better in deap water