Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    steveaz            04-22-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
Thankfully I caught this before we left for WSSR. Another testimonial for Carlisle tires.

Needless to say the trailer gets all new Goodyear tires in about 3 hours.

Have a safe trip everyone.

Steve

Old    aka Bradley Beach            04-22-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
That makes it tough to pull to the lake, that's for sure!
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-22-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
How old were those tires?
Old    ladiesman            04-22-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
I think i better go check out my tires. Not that I am going anywhere but I don't need any accidents.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-22-2003, 12:03 PM Reply   
I guess you ran out of fix a flat?
Old    steveaz            04-22-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
The tires are 1 year old, don't usually sit for more than a week at a time, and the boat is kept in the garage.

No fix a flat, do you think I could get it retreaded?
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       04-22-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
I just replaced my tires. Don't have a pic, but nearly identical.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-22-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
Recap them baby's with some Firestone Wilderness A/T's. Bet you could get a real deal.
Old    whitechocolate            04-22-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
Hey I noticed that mt Tires are kinda Messed up also Ill post a Photo but I don't know if your gonna see what's wrong so Ill explane in case the photo dosen't show it this is with all 4 Tires the center tread is good but the outside and inner tread has smooth dips in it up and down like my when a car has bad shock's Whats up??? Thank's In Advance
Old    whitechocolate            04-22-2003, 12:44 PM Reply   

You can see the Center tread is good but the inner and outer Edge have cuping going on you would think I was driving in Circle's all day long? What causes this?????
Old    swpmwinc            04-22-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
Grant, mine are doing the same thing. Trailer is only a year old in May .Anyone got some ideas
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-22-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
Too much stereo equip??!!

Old    patrick_adams            04-22-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
I had a Carlisle tire blow out on me late last year as well I feel your pain. My tires were also only about two years old and properly inflated.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-22-2003, 1:20 PM Reply   
Grant:

When the edges of a tire wear like that it is an indication that wheels are not alligned. On a car, this usually means your front end alignement.

On a trailer, it usually means a bent (or bending) axel. A pigeon toe misalignment is unusual for a single axel trailer, on a dual axel trailer would be the result of the two axels not being aligned to each other. What is fairly common is that that an overloaded axel bends under load which creates a castor/camber type misalignment.

Old    matt_dettman            04-22-2003, 1:55 PM Reply   
When the outer edges of a trailer tire are scuffed and worn while the center tread is untouched, it means the center tread is not contacting the road due to UNDER-inflation! This is the number one cause of tire failure!
Old    whitechocolate            04-22-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
Rod And Matt Thank's
But Rod if the axle was bent wouldnt the tires be worn on on edge like how a car has a bad aligment it inner or outer tire gets messed up. It's more like what Matt said Underinflation" But what about the cupping, You see I noticed it when I saw the tire was low and went to fill it I found or saw the cupping in the tire and its the same on all 4
Old    damnation            04-22-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
TRASH THOSE CARLISLE TIRES ASAP!!! This happened to a friend while we were driving down the interstate at 75 mph. These were basically new Carlisles and had the EXACT same problem. Do not entrust your boat to these tires under any circumstances!
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2003, 2:55 PM Reply   
I think they had a recall on certain Carlisle tires last year. Call Carlisle, you may have some grip coming your way. I've had them on my trailers since '96 and never a problem, check to make sure they are inflated to the correct pressure frequently.
Old    matt_dettman            04-22-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
Also, trailer tires are sometimes installed on trailers whose gross vehicle weight(boat and trailer and gear) is at the high end of the tires maximum load rating. If you have you boat loaded with gear AND dead weight beyond the tires rating, any underinflation will be greatly magnified and the tires will overheat leading to failure. This is especially true in the summer when the road temperatures can easily reach 140 degrees!
Old    mattbroad            04-22-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
I had a brand new carlisle blow out on me last summer. I called Carlisle and told the story, but I had no pics to send them. They said there is no recall and there is nothing wrong with the tires, so tough luck. I replaced the other three at my expense anyway.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2003, 8:30 PM Reply   
Me too!! I had a Carlisle blow last summer. Only about 1000 miles on it and year old. Checked the tire presure about 1 hour before the blow. Thing just blew up, glad I have a tandem trailer.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-22-2003, 11:50 PM Reply   
Well to start to answer Grants question the lumpy tire problem (Highly technical term) is commonly caused by tire balance. This is extremely common as most do not come balanced from the factory. I prefer to have trailer tires balanced. As for those tires GET RID OF THE BIAS PLYS! Radials are the way to go. More puncture resistant etc.

Now for why they are wearing more on the outside than the inside has to do with tire pressure. Kick it up a few pounds and the wear pattern will even out.

Sorry but this is miss-information "What is fairly common is that an overloaded axel bends under load which creates a castor/camber type misalignment." Trailer axles do not have caster and camber will only cause wear on the inside or outside of a tire not both, nor will they be lumpy.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-23-2003, 7:59 AM Reply   
I had two Carlisle tires blow out on me two years ago on my single axle trailer. Now I have a tandem trailer and Goodyears!

I think if you search back many, many moons ago you might find a post about this, seems it was/sounds like it still is a real problem.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       04-23-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
Just confirmed that the tire I had separate just like the first post was a Carlisle also. Less than two years old and hardly any wear. Just a POS.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-23-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
I was talking to a local tire guy when I had new tires put on my previous trailer. He echoed a lot of what was said above: Radials are the way to go, get the heaviest (highest weight capacity) tire you can and get them balanced. He did have one other bit of advice that wasn't mentioned and could be some of cause for what Grant is seeing:

If the trailer is a tandem, lots of tight turns and circles will wear the outside of the tread more than the inside, the front tire usually faster than the rear (but I'm sure that this can change with different trailer types and axel placement). He said they see a lot of tread seperations on the front tires of tandem/triple axels that are used on boat or landscaping trailers that see a lot of "around town" type driving. He also recommended Goodyear trailer tires over anything else, and to rotate the tires once a year.
Old     (mikeh)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2003, 7:33 PM Reply   
I had a Carlisle tire blow last summer. The tires had less then a thousand miles on them. The tire just exploded after about ten minutes of towing. I called Carlisle and had a few choice words for them. In the end they sent me a new tire a few days later. Why do the trailer manufactures put these tires on rather than radials in the first place?