Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (chrisdurcan)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-25-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
I have a 06 X1...1000lbs in the rear 370 in the center and a 400 pushed toward the middle/front and with that setup my wake is real washy. When I dont add the 400 and and 2 people sit in the back and 1 in the front its a little better..still kinda washy but not as big as I want. Also, I normally ride at about 21-22......23 is a little fast for me. What Ideas do you all have that will help get me the HUGE Rampy wake that the X1 is suppose to have! Thanks!!!!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-25-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
you are riding too slow with that much weight and you dont have enough weight in the nose. i had an x1 and weighted it very similar except i put a 750 in the nose walkway with often times a 300 pounder on top depending on if i had a 550 on the floor against the back seat which i generally did. This plus ballast and you have what i think is the best wake in the game but 21mph isn't enough speed and 22 is pushing it. You need to be at around 23-25 depending on rope length with that much weight, and with that much weight im assuming your ability level shouldnt have a problem with that speed. if you think it feels to fast, go back 5 more feet and it will feel slower.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-25-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
the boat is still planing at 21 with 3000 pounds lol
Old     (chrisdurcan)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-25-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
I will give it a shot...what length did you ride at?? I am riding anywhere between 65-75ft
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-25-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
You're going too slow- that's why your wake is crumbling. 24-25 on that boat with that weight.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-25-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
if you want to sky you have to fly speed up to 24-25 m.p.h. and more weight in the nose 750 sounds good!
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-25-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
i will trade boats.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-25-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
Dang I ride a SANTE with the stock 900 and ride 24 mph, Chirs it's time to bump up that speed a bit. In a few set's you will get used to it!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-25-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
Not to be offensive but if you're only comfortable riding at 21 or 22, 3000 pounds of ballast seems unnecessary.

What we've found works really well is stock weight in the rear tanks and ski locker, a 400 sac in the walkthrough, and if short on people another 400 in the cockpit. Add about 300 in lead, mostly in the bow, and it is perfect at 75 feet out around 23-24 mph.

just uploaded a short video of my buddy hitting some dubs behind this wake today, check it out if you'd like. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMJXTYt6qI
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-25-2010, 11:29 PM Reply   
IMO you need to weight the boat so the platform is just level with the water. If it is below the water either take some weight out of the back or add more to the front. At the moment you have too much rear bias
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-26-2010, 3:16 AM Reply   
get a bu...
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-26-2010, 4:16 AM Reply   
like everyone else said...more weight up front, or less weight in the back, and take it up a few mph. we ride at 26-27 behind mine.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-26-2010, 4:36 AM Reply   
Had the exact same boat. Like everyone has mentioned, you need more weight in the nose. With a comparable configuration to yours, we usually rode at 23.5 to 24. Once you fine tune it, you will have one of the greatest wakes of all time.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-26-2010, 5:02 AM Reply   
Maybe it's just me, but given I ride behind so many different boat weighted so differently, I usually ride between 23 and 27. Honestly I just get up and thumb up or down till the wake starts curling just right that gives you that 'christmas time' feeling. It doesn't really 'feel' any faster/slower back there to me but then again Im paying more attention to the wake shape than I am the speed my board is traveling across the water. Never ridden behind an X-1 but I know behind a loaded big block x-star 26.5-27 was perfect. Not sure it would even plane at 23. Also Id rather be going a hair too fast than a little slow so as to prevent washing out from edging in super hard or the driver unintentionally turning out slightly.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-26-2010, 5:14 AM Reply   
Chris I ride at about 82 feet (my rope has many "customizations") and at about 24-24.5 mph. On the x-1 I rode at 80 at 23.7-24.3 I believe and it was the most perfect wake ever. I will admit that I think it was better than my super air wake. Less steep but still steep but had a little more transition to it that really let you manipulate exactly what you wanted to do. I couldn't land Petes behind my 210 because I just kept screwing up the pop. Buddies picked us up for a quick set on their x-1 and boom, perfect method Pete still remember that exact trick. I grabbed it right when I got in the air and didn't let go until I passed the handle when i hit the water. The only way to describe the feeling was like when they slomo a guy going off a kicker snowboarding and he is just spinning inverted with a grab the entire time. It is one of the coolest feelings in the world and was my first boat mobe done PROPER.

I love how in wakeboarding there are just some tricks that feel cool. To me it's a method Pete, stale glide, hoochie glide, nuclear glide, a real method grab, method scarecrow super grabbed with front knee just crunched, and suprisingly a nice toeside Indy backroll (not women pro tour style) grab in the beginning to slow the trick down and really snap back and just land cruising down the lake. I hate when the girls go and do them and have their knees barely bent and kind of skip when they hit the second wake. Thankfully now that trend is lessening with the new girls out there but you still see it.
Old     (chrisdurcan)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-26-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
Thanks guys for all the advice!! I am going to keep my 2, 550 in the rear 370 in the ski locker and add a 550 to the bow and see how that works...I still have another 550 bag to use if nessessary... will try it at 24.5-26 @ 75ft and let you all know how it turns out. If any of you ride in the DFW hit me up,,,could always use some help on some tricks. durcanchris@yahoo.com
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-26-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
Chris,

Just keep an eye out on your bow with the added weight. Real easy to dunk the nose.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-26-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
These guys are right on.... The weighting sounds close, but you're riding too slow. 80' at 24-25 was always about right on that boat for me.

If you're comfortable at 23 and 75', then back the weight down a bit. No need to go where you're not comfortable. The faster you ride the more weight you need for the same size wake. I don't think there is anyone on here that learned at 3k pounds and 25mph. I spent a long time riding with 1000, then 2000, then 3000lbs before getting to the point we're at now. Heck, I learned all my basics behind a 18' tri-hull with no ballast at all.

I'm just saying....... Don't add weight because everyone on here talks about it. That boat will make a great wake at 70' and 21mph with stock 3 tank ballast (tank/bag) and 8 people on board.
Old     (chrisdurcan)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-26-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
Took it out today...added a 500 to the front...rode at 75ft 24mph and the wake was perfect!!!! Going back to stock is kinda out of the question..the 2 550 in the rear and the 370 in the ski locker are plummed in . .........Thanks again guys!!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-27-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
There is no rule that says you have to fill up your bags/tanks all the way - plumbed or not. I agree with CIE, ride at the speed you are comfortable and add or take out weight to clean it up. Riding with a macking wake right of the box doesn't usually develop the best ridng habits anyway.
Old    sperbet            05-27-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779103