Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-10-2012, 8:30 PM Reply   
We did this project over the winter, but I'm finally getting around to posting it up. I've spent years looking at other people's posts as I undertook different projects on the boat so I hope this may help some of you and give you some ideas.

My parents bought this boat new in 97 and we'll turn over 1500 hours on it this summer. Over the last 15 years we've added a ballast system, a tower, and upgraded the stereo. We took good care of it but 15 years of scratches, dings and wear were starting to show. We decided it was time to do a refresh and really didn't realize what we were getting ourselves into. There was a massive amount of time put into this project and in the end we had fixed the gelcoat blemishes, wetsanded and buffed the entire boat, replaced the steering assembly, painted the trailer, replaced the bunks, added a new boat buddy and boat buckle straps, and repainted the window frame. Plenty of other small repairs were done as well. I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Name:  Strippeddown.jpg
Views: 3615
Size:  79.8 KB
Stripped down and ready to get to work
Name:  Sidedamage.jpg
Views: 2698
Size:  71.0 KB
A small look at the type of damage we were dealing with. Nothing major, but small stuff all over the boat.
Name:  Applyinggelcoat.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  157.4 KB
We got the gel coat from gel coat products in Seattle, the only place that had Sanger colors.
Name:  Gelcoat.jpg
Views: 2768
Size:  72.1 KB
Name:  gelcoat2.jpg
Views: 2600
Size:  71.0 KB

It's very nerve wracking taking sandpaper to your boat for the first time. I got used to it, but by the time I worked through all the grits to get it smooth again my shoulders were killing me.
Name:  Gelcoat3.jpg
Views: 2744
Size:  63.9 KB
We used aqua buff 1000 and 2000 for buffing. This project is the extent of my experience, but I was happy with how it worked and would use it again.
Name:  Gelcoat4.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  Buffing.jpg
Views: 2650
Size:  77.2 KB
It was nice to see it start shine again.
Name:  Windowframe.jpg
Views: 2638
Size:  90.7 KB
Newly painted window frame. If you disassemble your window make sure to mark it well, it was quite the puzzle fitting it all back together.

The original steering cable that was used on our boat was discontinued, so we were forced to replace the entire helm assembly to fit a new cable. We had tried to retrofit a cable to fit on the original helm a few years back but the steering was never perfect and it quickly tightened up. With this new setup we're back to one finger turns. This is asked about pretty often by Sanger owners so I thought I'd put plenty of pics up. You'll also notice the three switches on the right side of the wheel which we added for our custom ballast sysem. We did our best to make them look stock.
Name:  Dashwithplate.jpg
Views: 2556
Size:  82.5 KB
We made this plate to fit the new helm and blend in with the rest of the dash.
Name:  Dashwithbracket.jpg
Views: 2890
Size:  109.3 KB
Name:  Dashwithhelm1.jpg
Views: 2535
Size:  83.9 KB
Name:  Dashwithhelm.jpg
Views: 2576
Size:  192.9 KB
Name:  Dashwithwheel.jpg
Views: 2607
Size:  187.2 KB
My dad, a lifetime farmer, came up with the method for getting the boat set up on blocks and then back on the trailer. I thought WW might get a laugh out of the setup.
Name:  Noselifted.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  196.4 KB
Seeing the boat hanging like this made me REALLY nervous.
Name:  Backontrailer.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  75.5 KB
The straps were connected to vehicles to hold the boat in place as we backed the trailer under the boat again. Big sigh of relief from me at this point.
Name:  Trailerfinished.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  121.1 KB
The trailer with a fresh coat of paint, new bunks and carpet, and boat buckle straps added on. New boat owners may take these for granted but after 15 years of taking straps on and off the back it really makes me smile ever time I cinch these things up.
Name:  Trailer.jpg
Views: 2703
Size:  79.9 KB
So there she is minus the rub rail, which we weren't expecting to replace. Like many other parts on this boat the original had been discontinued, so we went to the newer stainless rubrail and I love it. And if you're wondering what the PVC pipe over the ski pole is that's our "tusk" which we rest the tower on when it folds down. This was of course dad's idea, since PVC pipe is only slightly down the list from duct tape, WD40, and baling wire when it comes to standard farm repair materials.
Name:  Finished.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  83.1 KB
And there she is after a day on the lake. It's hard to tell from the pic but we did give the teak some much needed love. Also my brother hit the side decal with some acetone which is why it's a bit faded. I still haven't quite forgiven him... Can anyone make a duplicate?

It was a lot of work, but we are thrilled with the results and couldn't be happier with our Sanger. That being said, I hope I never have to do any type of gel coat work again. If you think having someone do gelcoat repair on your boat is spendy, it's only because you haven't tried it yourself. What a tremendous pain in the ass!
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-10-2012, 8:40 PM Reply   
Wow that looks fresh
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-10-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   
While I'm I'll put up some pics of my front ballast setup. Those of you who know V210's know they like weight in the front. I didn't want to put a bunch of lead up front because I use the boat for skiing, but I didn't want to have to mess around with extra pumps. The solution I came up with was to use a reversible pump with a diverting valve. I happened to have a friend with an extra valve from his Flyhigh Xstar system. If you look at doing something like this I would say the valve is worth the money, you can buy them from wakemakers I believe.

Anyway I have a sack under the floor which I usually leave full for everything but skiing. When I want to load the boat up to ride I take my bow sack out from under the front seat and my support board out from the rear compartment. It rests up against the side of the compartment and takes up virtually no space. On the 97's and probably some other years of V210 the front bow cushion can be removed and exposes a hole. I have a hose run from the diverting valve up to the hole with standard 1" flyhigh connectors on the end. I set the triangle sack on the board as pictured and attach a second extension hose that goes from the bow hole to the sack. This allows me to fill the bow bag with no external pumps and put as much weight as I need in the front.

There are plenty of compromises with this system, but I think it's the best setup for me. The reversible pump isn't the fastest, but fills the bag in around 10 minutes. The hose routing has lots of bends which reduces flow, but again it's still fast enough for me. There is a little setup involved, but once it's hooked up I can fill and empty as I please, which is nice when switching between riders of different skill levels. I couldn't think of another setup that would allow for as much weight as a V210 needs in the front without lead or external pumps, so again I'm very happy with the results.

And yes, stereo guys, I realize there is some re routing to do with the wires under there.
Attached Images

Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-10-2012, 10:26 PM Reply   
Wow -
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-11-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
Great job!!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-11-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Nice work. That is one of the best color combo V210's I have ever seen and it has the black scorpion to boot. I didnt' realize the black scorpion had that same intake cover thing back in 97. Looks like it is ready for another 1500 hours. Is that the original engine and transmission.

Get us some on the water pics. I bet that boat looks great on the water.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-11-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
The engine and transmission are both original and have required nothing but routine maintenance. The Walter V-drives come with a paper gasket material on one main gasket that leaks, but once we replaced it with a different gasket there have been no problems. We keep the boat moving when we're out, so not a whole lot of those hours are idling or cruising.

This is the only decent picture I have of it on the water, but there should be more to come.
Name:  GOPR0114.jpg
Views: 2081
Size:  92.4 KB
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-11-2012, 5:36 PM Reply   
That is badazz!!!
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
Wow, great work! Curious, how difficult was it to pull your interior? I'm looking at doing a new carpet install in the next year or so.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-11-2012, 8:01 PM Reply   
If you have a 97 or year with similar interior it's not bad. The seat backs are all one large U shaped piece which is a little tough to remove, otherwise it's just basic work with a screwdriver. The seat backs in the bow were the tough part, I filled my forearms with fiberglass shards reaching around to undo the bolts in the back.