Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
I've always noticed a little creak noise here and there, but lately, my trailer has been noisier and noisier when I'm towing my boat.

I'm assuming this noise is coming from my trailer tounge, although it's hard to tell from the drivers seat.

The only thing I have noticed, is that there is a little bit of play on the latch of my trailer tounge (the piece that locks the ball into the tounge). Is this normal, or should there be litte-to-no play at all?

Thanks
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
I hear the same thing with mine. I have an 86 supra and my trailer has seen its better days. It may be as easy as greasing your ball and reciever. I havent done that to mine yet but It may help.
Old     (skinnyj)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
Does it clunk when taking off from a stop?
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       07-20-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
Jack,

Check the hitch area for any signs of fatigued welds. I had a trailer where the "cup" pulled completely apart from the rest of the hitch (this was on a Unique Functional Products (UFP) swing-away tongue). Never did much research into it, but based on my [limited] materials knowledge, it was a poorly penetrated weld that gave. The trailer was never loaded beyond allowance. Anyway, just check for that kind of thing.

I've also had the bolt of the swing-away shear off. The threads of the bolt were inside the hitch, which is not right. Force is never supposed to be exerted to the threads - only the shoulder.

Either of these things is definitely potentially deadly if it fails catastrophically while at speed. I got lucky and the cup thing happened at 3MPH and I noticed the broken bolt when the boat was sitting in my drive way.

On a side note, in my experience, trailers always make a ton of noise. Mine sounds pretty clapped out right now.
Danny
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
I always think it's interesting when I see a big, good looking 4wd truck with a nice shiney tow ball on the back. Do they ever use it? Mine was shiney for about a week. Then it got noisy & I greased it. Now I keep it covered because it'll make a mess of things if anything touches it.

Mine is making the clunk now days. My to-do list includes bleeding the brakes. Maybe next winter I'll check & replace the brake pads too.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
If your trailer is "clunking" taking off from a stop, it is probably the shock absorber up inside the tongue. It acts in conjunction with the brake actuator (on some models). These go bad just like regular shocks and occasionally need replacing. We usually have these in stock at our shop.

I've never had luck with grease. It just makes a mess.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-21-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
Thanks, everyone, for the insight.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
i've never greased the ball either, it gets nasty enough on its own.

check your brake fluid level and you also might check the receiver/hitch on your truck. they can get sloppy sometimes too.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-21-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
The clunking can also occur from the need to re-bleed the brakes. I had a similar situation and after I bled the brakes (boat was new to me at time) it went away.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
If you have a lot of slop in the reciever/hitch pin, it can make some noise too. I've been thinking about getting one of these silent hitch pins like this. Looks like it might be a bit of a pain to assemble, but once it's there, it would stay.

Hey Salty, what is it that is nasty? Rust? Flaking chrome? Old grease from when your trailer was assembled? I clean mine up, then put clean grease on it maybe once a year, then keep a cover on it anytime I'm not pulling a trailer.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
Could also be the trailers spring packs under the axle. Mine made a whole lots of noise a few months before one side snapped sending my wheel/tire up into the fender.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
bill....yep....rust and whatever grime, chrome dust. nasty to rub against. i never thought of putting a cover on it.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-21-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
These look like they would help solve the problem.
No experience with them, and a little pricey, but if it works...

http://www.schuckhitches.com/hitches.htm
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
Yea, just clean up the ball, and inside the tongue on your trailer. Then regrease it. Doesn't have to be done very often & it definitely helps. I just use one of these.
Upload
But the guy who comes up with a cool looking ball cover has free advertising on trucks all over the country. Everyone of us have tow rigs, and I'd be willing to bet that over 1/2 of us leave the receiver in there & just need a cover to keep from getting greasy or knockin our knees on it.

Something like this with WakeWorld on it would sell like crazy around here.

Or how about a group buy on some dice?

Lots of others out there too, golf balls, soccer balls, footballs, deer head, fish, etc.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-23-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
yeah, it clunks when taking off from a stop, and creaks when I'm doing anyhing other than maintaining a constant speed in a straight line.