Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Hydrofoiling

Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-09-2003, 8:30 AM Reply   
Been foiling for a few months and starting to learn the wake jump. Question: does the size of the wake affect your height/distance jumping? In other words, do I need to fill the sacks or doesn't it matter?

-Keith
Old                02-09-2003, 4:21 PM Reply   
The answer is yes, and no. You'll get most of your height from good technique, i.e. solid pop at the right time and line loading. But a huge wake will amplify a good riders height. I rode behind a 19' Ski Supreme last summer and expected to get very little air, my technique had improved and I suprised myself. If you usually ride behind a small wake boat and then get behind something like an X Star of Super Air, it'll blow you away.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
I think that Jonathan is right, good technique is key.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-10-2003, 5:43 PM Reply   
Thanks guys - much appreciated. I am actually having some problems mastering the wake jump. I can jump in the flats fine, but for some reason the wake is throwing me off (I seem to be landing on my head - may be looking down). Any advice?
Old                02-11-2003, 6:21 AM Reply   
Not nkowing how you're jumping will affect that answer Keith.

When you jump in the flats, do you ride level then lean back? Or, do you ride level, then dip towards the water and then lean back ( dip and pop )?

If you're not doing a dip and pop, you should try and practice it. It helps your timing, as I've seen with some of our friends, when approaching the wake. Also, I've seen folks approach the wake with WAY too aggressive an angle of attack. When you statr with the wake jumps, try to picture youself landing in the middle between the wakes, right in the wash.

Also, keep the chin up, don't bother looking at the landing site. Keep your body in one position ( rocking chair position ) hand low by the knees.

Hopefully, this will help keeping you from the face plants.

One more thing - DON'T PUSH WITH YOUR FEET! That's a sure way to get the nose of the deck down and a face plant coming up. Keep the tip of the foil up, at about a 45 degree angle to the water.

Have Too Much Fun,
Matt

Old                02-14-2003, 6:28 AM Reply   
Keith, go to www.foilfreaks.com and check out their tutorials on jumping. The tutorials also include video clips of the jumps done correctly. This may help you see what you are doing different on the wake jumps. I, like you could do a flat jump pretty good but the wake jump kicked my butt, I found out I was taking off from the wake jump not squared up. Because of the cut to the boat I was leaning to the left or right get speed and jumped from the wake with the same angle, that tended to amplify itself in the air and over I went. I slowed down my boat speed and made sure I was perpendicular to the water when I started my wake jump. Hope this helps.

Jim
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-14-2003, 5:31 PM Reply   
All that is advice is awesome - if only it was warm enough to go out and foil! I know I am probably pushing with my feet, and not getting squared on the jump. Thanks again...