Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (msutton)      Join Date: May 2001       05-01-2003, 5:09 PM Reply   
I've got an '84 Nautique 2001 with the original CC trailer from, I assume, the same year. The metal sticker that the VIN was on is totally faded and the VIN can not be made out. I just moved to PA from DE and PA doesn't want to title my trailer because they can't verify the VIN. This must not be a completely uncommon problem. I can keep trying notaries until one lets me by, but there must be some legal solution. Any ideas or experience with this?

Mike
Old    kiwihottie            05-01-2003, 6:14 PM Reply   
Mike,
Does the trailer need to be titled for that state?
I know in Idaho we only had to title the boat and they didn't bother with the trailer?
Might check local laws to see if it is necessary?

If so, are you the original owner? If not, try to locate previous owner and request the paperwork they used to register the boat trailer initially?

Just some random ideas, I'll try to do a little research because now you got me curious?

I'll let you know......
Old    leggester            05-02-2003, 6:04 AM Reply   
Well, this may be a bit far out, but:

You can slap a mechanics lean against the trailer. Then you'll be able to register the thing. After awhile, you can then 'own' the trailer.

This is used when restoring old cars that all the paper work is gone on. A mechanics lean allows the vehicle to be registered and a search for the 'true' owner to be processed. After a time period ( 3 months in CO IIRC ), the mechanics lean defaults to ownership.

Something to check out if all else fails.
Old     (msutton)      Join Date: May 2001       05-02-2003, 8:59 AM Reply   
Delaware DMV says to just by metal stamps and put the vin back on the trailer so PA can read it. Seems like that could leave me open to accusations of attempting something shady, but I'm not really sure what else to do.

It's not really a question of paperwork, PA's problem is they want to see the VIN on the trailer and it just can't be made out. I guess I am off to the hardware store.

In PA and DE the boat needs only to be registered, but the trailer needs to be titled.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-02-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
Call the CC dealership and ask them where they put a second sticker on it. Usually 2 second number is placed some where tricky where if it is stolen on the police can find it. The same thing happened to me when I bought my boat from Washington and I tried to register it her in Oregon. The State Police are the ones that figured out where the second vin # was. Mine was inside a tube on the trailer well out of the way. Take everything off, lights off anything that can be removed and look under the part you remove. The Police have places they can turn to, to figure this out.
Old     (msutton)      Join Date: May 2001       05-02-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
I spoke to CC this morning and they didn't mention anything like that. They only said they don't have records that go back that far. I will go out and take a (very close) look at it though.

Thanks.