Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-05-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
I would like to get some input from those who ride cable on a few things. First let me give you a little background. I have only been to one cable park, the Texas Ski Ranch. Even still, I have only rode there a few times. I am interested in the different setups that those who ride a lot at cables enjoy.

1. What shape cable park do you find the most enjoyable?
2. What type of sliders, kickers, etc. do you prefer on a cable lake?
3. Would you consider a 6 tower system to be a large advantage over a 5 tower system and if you would, what would be the most satisfying shape for you?
4. What type of amenities do like to see at a cable facility? Hot food, pro shop, etc.
5. Do you prefer more kickers or more sliders?
6. How far would you be willing to drive to ride a cable on a daily basis?
7. What other attractions would you enjoy while taking a break from the cable? (skatepark, batting cages, driving range, etc. )

Just a few questions I have been thinking about. Thanks for the input.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-05-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
I've ridden cable a good bit and am by no means an expert but I'll give it a shot...

1. Circle with an island in the middle (smoother water).
2. Roof top, Kink, A-frame and wall ride
3. 6 tower to smooth out both turns
4. I want to see a conveyor belt like at the snow park to cart my fat a** back to the dock ;), and nicer handles.
5. Sliders. One kicker is just right.
6. Daily... 35 minutes. Every weekend... 2 hours
7. Skate park, bar inside with TVs and such.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-05-2009, 6:02 PM Reply   
2 kickers, one on the inside of the line one on the outside
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-05-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
1. Any shape with an island in the center (other than a 4 corner rectangle)
2. good mix of rails, fun boxes, wallrides, and kickers. There should be at least one transfer box.
3. 5 is perfect.
4. Good food, bar, board shop.
5. 2 kickers- one on the inside and one on the outside. Transition a plus.
6. I drive 40 minutes to TSR at least 3 times a week during the summer. The drive is worth it.
7. a two tower easy start system on the side for beginners.
Old     (joshrice)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-05-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
Just talk to the guys at cablewakeparks.com they can answer any questions you have about anything cable because they sell and install them.

But in my opinion...
1. TSR's is good because the two straightaways aren't too long which 1. makes the cable feel "tight" everywhere and 2. allows you to put obstacles on both the inside and the outside at each straightaway. They took the third tower and displaced it a bit further away which allows room for two more obstacles. Of course, there's two short stretches which are perfect for air tricks because there's NO obstacles there. But not two short stretches in a row like OWC or CWC.

2. The type of obstacles should depend on the general skill level of the riders in the area. If it's going in Orlando, the obstacles should cater to riders that are already pretty able, meaning, more technical obstacles. If the cable is going up in an area where wakeboarding is not so prominent, maybe build obstacles that are a bit more beginner-friendly. It will still be fun.

3. Six towers doesn't mean it's one better. I'll agree with Louise, 5 is perfect. The only things six towers are good for is more straightaways for obstacles and maybe larger angles. Of course, you can have the same number of carriers on a five tower system as you can on a six tower system. And the motor tower has to be pretty close to 90 degrees for the drive system to work optimally.

4. At least a pro shop. You gotta have something on site other than just the cable or it's gonna be hard to pay bills.

5. It should be a good mix between kickers and sliders. You'll want to be able to host good contests where riders will want to come and show off their skills in both areas.

6. Daily? Hmm....an hour I guess.

7. Civilization would be nice. As opposed to building a cable in the middle of nowhere.
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       01-07-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
I like how KCW is set up. it would be even sicker if it had rails like owc

(Message edited by inty399 on January 07, 2009)
Old     (kasumi)      Join Date: May 2007       01-07-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
A small lake with slow speed cable just for Noobz would be nice.

4. A demo shop like what they have at ski resorts would be nice. So you do not have to pay to rent.

Someone mentioned parks near civilization and I agree with this.

6. 30 minutes max distance is what I drive

7. A mountainboard park or flowrider
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-07-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
Since I'm a regular at OWC I may be biased to their cable, but OWC seems to have the ideal layout with one cable for beginners and another for experienced riders. My biggest complaint about OWC is that it lacks an island in the middle to cut down on chop. And there's no boat roller protection.

3) I prefer a shorter cable to cut down on the walking.

4) A shaded area where people can get out of the sun. And snacks/food.

5) I like kickers and sliders equally.

6) I drive 40 min to OWC regularly.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-07-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
1. Island is nice, also not super long or the hike sucks

2. Kickers on both sides is nice - wall rides are fun - stuff that can be do without much though but has potential to get tech on it

3. 6 might be nice, but I donno if that would cut out air tricks.... lots of people like those

4. Food is nice, Drinks more important, i get thirsty when I ride - reasonable price, some way of picking up riders and driving them to a dock would be great, little trolly thing, golf cart, or even like a "lazy river" at waterparks were you could just float in the current back to the dock, something...anything would be nice.

5. I personally like kickers, more possibilities, but a happy medium is better....
6. I would drive 45-1hr 3/4 times a week... 2 maybe 1/2 a week

7. A little pool/hottub would be nice on cold days, a flowrider surfing thing would be fun between sets....a bar/restaurant would be nice for people after riding or there just watching... Having the cable park in a dome, not a full building but like the Metrodome in MN couldn't be that terribly expensive and would allow glassy conditions all day, winter riding in colder climates.... if I had the money that is what I would do.... srufing/wakeboarding between chicago, milwaukee, madison, janesville, rockford area
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-07-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
What about if the Cable Park is really big, but they have a hot chick in a golf cart with non alcoholic beverages of course, giving rides back to the start area, what do you think?
You just tell the lady to put that drink on your tab and then you can settle up at the end of your day.
Old     (joshrice)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-07-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
sorry, a hot chick wouldn't motivate me...
Honestly, I don't mind the walk back to the dock at TSR, though I would mind the walk at a huge cable like at the Philippines.

Actually, another thing I'd recommend is a masseuse or masseur. They had massage therapists at CWC. I had a daily massages while there and I NEVER got sore. Of course they only cost the equivalent of $5
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-07-2009, 5:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys....keep them coming, I am taking notes.
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-07-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
innov8actionsports- Awesome idea! I'm going to be visiting the park your are opening at least 4 times a week this summer. Who on earth would complain about an attractive girl giving them a ride in a golf cart?!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-07-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
then i'll stress that it MUST be located in Rome, WI.... 54457... thats where you should put it
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-07-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
Opps! I accidently posted under Josh Rice's name. We share the same computer and Josh never logged out. Josh Rice would prefer a hot girl driving him back to the dock.
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-07-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
Good thing I didn't post under Josh's name that I'd prefer an attractive man driving people back to the dock...
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-07-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
Ha! That's funny.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-08-2009, 6:20 AM Reply   
1. Having an island in the middle is nice, but that normally means the cable will be really long...and im not a fan of walking.
2. wallrides, long flat bars
3. never rideen a 6 tower system but im guessing it would be better as the cable would be tighter all the way round therefore making it easier for air tricks everywhere.
4. A good chill out area. flat screen TV's, comfy sofas, bar, pool table, hot tub/swimming pool, skate park, cafe, decent pro shop
5. Sliders... kickers are still necessary though.
6. 40 mins.
7. flat screen TV's, comfy sofas, bar, pool table, hot tub/swimming pool, skate park, cafe, decent pro shop, yeah golf is cool too also a flowrider would be epic.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-08-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
HIJACK!

Louise, I think Josh would prefer me to take him back to the dock on a moped similar to what Harry and Loyd had in Dumb and Dumber! lol

Are you guys doing the freezeride? I'm thinking about it. I think it would be fun to go out with no warmup and not riding for 4 months and see how I do.

Hope all is well with you 2. Looking forward to warmer weather!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-08-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
Makes sure all the carriers can handle the ample man loading the line. Nothing like warming up on the front stretch only to do your first air trick on the back stretch and pulling the line off the carrier. After the walk of shame being told, "oh, I didnt know YOU were gonna do air tricks." LOL! What do you mean "you people"? HAHA!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-08-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Just look at www.cwcwake.com and that is how a cable park is supposed to be built.

End of discussion..
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-08-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
1. pentagon or something similar (5 tower)
2. a frames, flat bars, c rails, s boxes, wall rides and transfer boxes.
3. 5 tower is just fine.
4. pro shop, restaurant, though a hot tub would be a nice addition.
5. even spread of both. combination of kickers/wallrides is always good
6. currently drive about 30 miles each way, willing to go about 40 each way
7. skatepark & arcade.
Old     (joshrice)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-08-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
Ha Ha Ben....If we do Freezride we might be able to pull off that scene on Dumb & Dumber. But I would have to pee on you.

Hey Toby how's it going? FYI....more towers do not necessarily make a tighter feel. The shorter stretches do. And to be able to walk all the way around a cable is a luxury...I've been on cables in big ass lakes where if you fall on the far side, you have to swim all the way across the lake, past the near stretch, and then swim some more to get to the shore.

Another thing that would be cool and would bring in extra income would be lodging. CWC has on site lodging which is cool. The cable in Berlin has little log homes you can rent out and a community bathroom. Dunaharatzi, Hungary has a bunch of cabins also. I like going to cables overseas and not have to worry about finding a hotel. This would make it more traveler-friendly for not only domestic travelers but also international riders. It could even be some sort of camp ground. Whenever I go to KCW, I stay at the camp ground which is about 5 miles away.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-11-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
we have a cable park close to Montréal..

the good part: 40min drive. 5 tower with 2 long straight runs

the bad part: water is filthy (man made pond), bottom of the lake is filled with algae and 3 eyed fish , kickers/sliders are not properly secured so they might turn 45 degrees while you're busting a F/S board , not enough sliders/jumps/boxes. food is expensive, crowd is half pill poppers half latino killers (it's also a club, hence the name, www.beachclub.com )and only a handful of riders. did I mention the 30min lineups?
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-11-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
latino killers hahaha