Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (2waterbabies)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-31-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
Now that gas prices are getting so high, does any one knows if you get better fuel economy if you sack your bu vs the wedge? I have a 2006 VLX and I am running all four ballast tanks and the stock prop that came with the boat. Also how does the wake compare with ballast and fat sacks instead of ballast and wedge? I haven't experimented with it much, yet. Any info is appreciated!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-31-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
They should be so close that you won't know the difference on gas. the wedge will give the wake more of a lip.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-31-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
I hardly ever use the wedge. I pretty much use the stock 4 ballast tanks, and about 420 in lead bags. It seems that most my riders don't need more than that. I have only had a couple riders need more, and I have plenty of sacks if they do. Once in a great while I will drop the wedge. It does make the wake a bit steeper, and gives a bit more pop. Only takes a few seconds compared to filling sacks. I also usually have quite a few peeps in the boat, so like I said, not a big need for more weight.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-31-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
I never used the wedge when I had over stock ballast or a lot of people. The wedge was more effective for light boat loads.

As far as gas, if your normal line has a lot of turns or turn-arounds, DON'T use the wedge. It eats gas on sharp turns. Going straight, I didn't notice it using any more gas than an extra sack would.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-31-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
I never use the wedge either. Just sacs.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-31-2008, 9:08 PM Reply   
Buzz, we ought to try the wedge while wakesurfing. Get that wake up even higher!
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-31-2008, 9:52 PM Reply   
We always run the wedge. If we have a lot of people in the boat we run it all the way down. If we have just a few people we run it about 7/8ths of the way down. We also always have 4 sacks and 1200 lbs of lead in the boat.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       03-31-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
I always use the wedge and ballast. The boat is a normal size direct drive. I like the lip on the wake the wedge puts out. I would be willing to bet that gas consumption will be similar with lots of weight or the wedge.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-01-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
I tend to think the wedge eats a little more especially getting out of the hole.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-01-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
If I use a bunch of extra sacs, then I don't use (or feel like I need) the wedge. With only stock ballast and a few people the wedge can make a big difference.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-01-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
^^^

Agree with ol Eubanks. One of the reasons I like the VLX is stock wake with Wedge. Any stock wake that can send my sorry skills riding into the flats is good enough. Add a few people and it's even better.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-01-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
Last summer I had stock ballast full, wedge down, and 10 people in the boat and HO-LE-CHIT.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-01-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Shane - Where have you been Sir?? NOBODY was at Lavon on Saturday. You should have seen the water at the dam...it put the Brazos to shame.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Like Buzz said and personally riding behind his..We took the wedge off and use about the same combo as him. WITH the wedge the wake had a "crust"on it and seemed less consistent... anyone that has riden behind ours has LOVED it.

Side note: Dont worry about gas consumption and ride and have fun.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-01-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
Working and hunting since October.

Speaking of Talk to the BIll, that's where I was, and it was soooooo perfect. Besides my boat stays down there. I have my Dallas boats when I need to borrow a ride.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-01-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
Ok, maybe I'll see you out there when you're with TalleyHo. I haven't seen him this year yet either. I had to start my season early since it ends in June 6th when my first squid is born.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-01-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
Nu Bu,

Been there...dam much more than I knew what to do with.
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-01-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
Dude, thats only because your a water skier, and not a wakeboarder. Your wife didn't have any problems with it.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-01-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
Shut your pie hole....

Hey I got some air....:-)