Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (smknsmly)      Join Date: May 2007       06-08-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
My boat driver likes to always drink on my boat. Im wondering if he gets a BUI or something else, will i get in any trouble since I own the boat...

Anybody know?
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-08-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
If hes drinking enough to get a bui then he shouldnt be driving a boat.
Old     (smknsmly)      Join Date: May 2007       06-08-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
No doubt, but its possible. Im wondering if it unknowingly happens, will I be at fault for anything since i'm the boat owner.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-08-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Your boat will get towed in and will cost you around a grand to get it back in California
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-08-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
If he gets a BUI, no.

If he causes damage/injuries, yes.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-08-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
From what I understand if a driver is arrested so long as there someone sober of leagal age to drive they'll let you take care of getting the boat back to the ramp.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-08-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
All depends on the officer. Most boaters on the delta well get their boat towed and have to get it the next day.

One guy got stopped at the marina where he launched and they wouldn't let him have his brother pull it out and take it home.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-08-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
It does all depend on the area you are in and of course the cop. Here he driver would get the ticket and a sober legal driver could continue the voyage. But if he had an accident the owner would be liable for that.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-08-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
If you are the owner of a boat, or car, and the driver is impaired you have liablility for damage that the boat causes. If the driver is drunk and you are drunk he can get an impaired and you can get convicted for being in the care and control of a vehicle while impaired.
Old     (smknsmly)      Join Date: May 2007       06-08-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I'm in AL, and the usual situation would be, I would be sober and boarding while he is pulling me. I would be sober, so I hope the police would let me take the boat in. I just wondered if the cop could charge me for letting him drive. Im becoming more strict on my boat with everything. Once the cops see beer, it usually gets nasty.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-08-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
That last thing you should be thinking about is what kind of trouble you can get in. You should be a little more responsible and think about who is going to get hurt. And who is legally responsible for letting some drunk fool drive their boat.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-08-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
I agree with Rich. If its your boat its your responabillity, bottom line. If your being towed by someone you know may be impared then your knowingly putting yourself and others at risk.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-08-2008, 10:23 PM Reply   
And, What if he hurts you while coming around to pick you up? How dumb will you feel, if he smacks you with your own boat?
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-08-2008, 11:42 PM Reply   
Its your boat, you need to be the responsible one. I never drink when I am driving the boat, and I won't let anyone drive my boat if they have drank. You should not worry about the law, because whatever happens with the law could be the best situation.

If you or your driver do anything that harms someone, rest assured your arss is getting sued to the hilt. If your driver is drinking, whether drunk or not, you are probably going to lose. And that isn't even the worse part. If he kills someone you wouldn't want any part of the guilt that goes with that.

If he wants to drink, have him pull you first, before he cracks a beer. Then let him get smashed when you drive. Boats are dangerous enough, be smart, and be responsible, even if your friends can't be. You are not the only one on the lake and you need to
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-09-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
Just find another driver.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-09-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
Geez i can't even believe it took that many posts before rich(or anyone) spoke the truth about whats going on here. Are you Crazy having a impaired driver drive your boat? Don't get me wrong i def do my fair share of drinking but never on the water unless i know i will not have to drive at all for the rest of the day.

Not to be a Pri*k but you really need to check your priorities and think of the other boaters you are putting in harms way by allowing someone impaired to drive your boat.

Please wize up seeing as you are smart enough to not drink when you go out riding /driving. i am sure if you post in the find a third forum you could find someone to pull you who is a little more responsible.
Old     (rocketdogg)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-10-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
I gotta agree here. I don't think it would kill someone if you asked them not to drink and drive.