Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (k_korenek)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-08-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
i'm 6'1" about 260 and i'm a beginner wanting to get in the sport a little late i know but better late than never but i was wanting some help on figuring out what kind of board to buy i want some thing that will be easy to learn on but as i advance i dont want to have to buy another board
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-08-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/9TDTV

this board and these bindings are a pretty good setup. It will definitely let you progress from beginner to high-intermediate level without buying anything new. The board is a great/very popular shape, and the cwb hinge bindings are pretty comfortable and very easy to get into. Although, if at all possible, I would see if you have a local dealer in your area because they can usually make you a pretty good deal on a setup
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-08-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
Hyperlite State 145

Liquid Force Trip series
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-09-2009, 6:08 AM Reply   
Whoa whoa whoa..

Do NOT buy that first board linked. You are 260 lbs - you need a MUCH bigger board than a 134 like the one linked.

Go with what JT said. Find a State or a Trip in 145.. That will be the ticket.. Good beginner board that you can progress with. Find bindings you like and go for it.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-09-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
I have a LF Trip 143 with CWB faction bindings and love the set up. If you are just beginning, buy a binding that is easy to get in and out of at first. When I started I tried a binding that I almost had to wear home to cut off and swore I would never go again. Tried the CWB's and been loving it ever since.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-09-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
^^ Good advice.

CWB's hinge is a REALLY nice feature for ease of entry/exit.

Anthony has been blowing out the 2008 CWB Zeus (hinge) for cheap lately. For a bigger guy - an easy in/out binding is a good option.

CWB Zeus binding and find a board you like. 143-146 would be a good length for your weight.
Old     (k_korenek)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-09-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
thanks for all the help
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-09-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
The L.F. Trip 146 would be a good start for someone your size.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-09-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
DEMO if at all possible! its the best way to see if you like 3 stage or continuous boards, more flex or less flex, etc. but i personally realize how difficult that can be at times. the listed boards are all good suggestions that will work with MOST all people effectively.

boots, however are a lot easier to "demo", since you can put them on in the store like buying shoes. its different to actually demo the boots while riding, but a very good idea can be gained on dry land. all feet are different find something comfortable for YOU.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-09-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
sorry, I pulled up that link pretty fast. I 134 might be too small. I would ride a much bigger one. Any of the boards suggested would work
Old     (spridle)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-21-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
BBB has the Zeus XL for 99bux today!
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-21-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
Welcome to our sport.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-21-2009, 8:48 PM Reply   
I would go for the Trip 146 as well for someone your size. Its a good board to learn on but you can progress as far as you want and you will not outskill the board. Try going on the classified ads on wakeworld and you can find a good deal for a used setup that is still in good shape.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-21-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
I agree with the trip. Great beginner board but you can really grow with it. It was Lyman's board of choice before he got his. If LYMAN likes it, you know its good. Plus its been around for a long time so it has stood the test of time. It holds its edge well, soft landings and is an all around fun board. Plus you could get a brand new 08 or 09 for CHEAP. You really can't find anything better than the trip to start out with. Guaranteed.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-21-2009, 10:22 PM Reply   
+ 1 for the trip, mainly because i dont like cwb boards or bindings. the hinge doesnt feel it makes and impact at all of getting in and out of them for me. get somethen long wide and with comfy bindings. the thing with first boards i found was i adapted my riding style to all the different boards within a few hours anyway, i think you just need something forgiving and stable, but then again i guess advanced boards could stunt your progression or put u off.