Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    SamIngram            02-11-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
I saw this article today and thought I would share. I think it's a great idea, but I think they should take it further and have the unemployed do all of the state's unskilled labor and skilled labor positions when they can find someone with the appropriate skills.

Florida Considers Forcing Jobless to Volunteer for Unemployment Checks

I personally know at least four people who are collecting unemployment and are not even looking for a job...
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       02-11-2011, 3:35 PM Reply   
It's a great idea. one of my roomates is the laziest piece of crap ever. worthless. sits on his fat ass all day collecting unemployment.... This fool makes my blood boil I can't wait to switch houses. Did I mention he also gets financial aid? while i'm working my ass off in nursing school while working 2 jobs because my parents make too much money.....
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2011, 11:09 PM Reply   
Replace the word 'unemployment' with 'assistance'.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-12-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
I couldn't agree more.... Welfare, Un-employment, Section 8. Put them all to work. Why should the state/government pay your way when you aren't even looking.

Quick sidestory: One of the young guys at our shop was looking for a new place to live last week. He looked at some nearby rental condos. They had the same condos listed, one section 8, the other standard wages. The section 8 was available, the standard had a waiting list. He was laughing at all the Mercedes and BMW's parked in the section 8 area's lot. Amazing. Standard story... Cheap government assisted housing with blinged out BMW's parked out front. Awesome system we've got.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Yeah, 70k dollar vehicles parked in a rental garage.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-12-2011, 5:09 PM Reply   
I think it's a great idea! Same should go for prison inmates. You don't work, you don't eat. If you don't like it, don't commit crimes.

I will go a step further and say that if your child receives free breakfast or lunch, then you as a parent should have your finances overseen by whomever provides the free meal (in most cases the government).I'm not one for more government control, but I also don't think kids should starve because their parents suck at parenting. It's ridiculous how many families have Escalades, flat screen TV's, designer clothes, etc...and yet they can't provide meals for their kids, so the rest of us have to foot the bill.

Last edited by jetskiprosx; 02-12-2011 at 5:12 PM. Reason: Poor grammer
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-12-2011, 7:40 PM Reply   
I collected unemployment for about ten months while looking for work. the sad thing is, they dont even ask for clarification. that is the problem. you should be required to show proof of your actual job searches before you can collect. it is so easy to just collect. once I stopped looking, I stopped filling out the forms. 20 years ago you were required to show up at the unemployment office and meet with someone. they used to even help set up interviews for you. nothing like that nowadays. the government feels it is best to keep doling out the money, so it gets put back into the community in some form.
I always felt birth control should be a requirement for collecting benefits. that, and also drug and alcohol testing. if you can afford booze and drugs, you dont need any help from the govt.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-12-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
It's better than the current system, but ideally unemployment should be eliminated altogether. The money folks save could be used however they see fit. Responsible people would save this money so they can take care of themselves if they lose their job. It's what I do now, and what many others do. Those who aren't responsible and live paycheck to paycheck would be up **** creek without a paddle, and that's not my problem. I shouldn't be forced to pay for other people's poor decisions.

The flip side to putting unemployment collecting people to work is they would not be able to dedicate the same amount of time to finding a job. Of course since many aren't even looking, or won't take what they can get, this may not be all that relevant. I know several people who collected unemployment for months (years?) and quickly gave up looking for a job. They realized they were making more on unemployment than most jobs they could find, and would work under the table while collecting or just not work at all and "enjoy the free time".

An alternative solution, since in this yuppie world we live in eliminating entitlement programs such as unemployment will never happen, is to have it be an opt-in or opt-out program. When you work you can pay the unemployment tax as you do now and if you lose your job you can apply for unemployment as you can now. Alternatively you could choose to not pay the unemployment tax, and never be eligible for unemployment compensation. The system would be forced to be self-sustaining by those who opt-in. The rest of us can take care of ourselves.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-13-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
^Cory, that is very presumptuous of you. Just because someone lives paycheck-to-paycheck (which at the time hovers around 70% of the country) does not automatically mean that they are making "poor decisions". Ten years ago, when I first got out of the Navy, I was forced to take a low-paying job. I lived paycheck to paycheck, yet I paid all of my bills. I wasn't going out and blowing money on unnecessary items, I was just making ends meet. As a matter of fact, there was no extra money to go out and blow. And I was able to keep about 500.00 bucks in savings, but that wouldn't have gotten me very far if I would have lost my job.

Because of our economy, many are forced to taking lower paying jobs. It doesn't make them any less of a responsible person than you, they are just doing what they have to do.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-13-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
If you're paying unemployment tax and can't save any money then with the additional money from not paying unemployment tax you would be able to save at least that amount without affecting your lifestyle or ability to pay your bills. Paying less taxes frees up some of your gross income to use as you see fit. That was my point. Even if it's only $20/mo that's better than not building a safety net for yourself.

Quick example, in your scenario starting with $500 and adding $20 monthly to a savings account at 1.1% by the end of year 2 you've got $1000 and at year 5 you're nearly to $1800. better than nothing and should float you at least a month to get another job (any job). Presumably after a couple years you would be making more money, saving a higher amount from not being taxed, and have more discretionary income to boost your emergency savings to a more healthy level, so realistically most people would have significantly more savings by year 5 if they wanted to have their own safety net.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-13-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
WOW
I thought most wakeboarders would be liberals.
Makes a difference in our attitudes when we are working a couple of jobs and being careful about what we spend, while seeing others live the life on credit
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-14-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
If you're paying unemployment tax and can't save any money then with the additional money from not paying unemployment tax you would be able to save at least that amount without affecting your lifestyle or ability to pay your bills. Paying less taxes frees up some of your gross income to use as you see fit. That was my point. Even if it's only $20/mo that's better than not building a safety net for yourself.
Individuals don't pay unemployment tax. The employer pays it.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-14-2011, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
Individuals don't pay unemployment tax. The employer pays it.
In NJ both employer and employee are taxed for unemployment and disability. I believe this is also the case in Pennsylvania and probably a few others too. Regardless of the ratio of who pays, it is bad for both businesses and individuals.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-13-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Train, sounds like the unemployment definitely helped you out, that is good, nothing wrong with unemployment, here in ohio you get a certain amount of unemployment that can be used for six months or eighteen months, even the welfare checks are supposed to have checks and balances, this is at the state level. Then we go to the federal level and the people that get money from social security is ridiculous, you are supposed to be working in the system for at least five years before you collect, right? then why are kids getting social security benefits? the parents get the money, about $600-$800 dollars a month and the kid didn't work a day in his life, can't even get a job or they will lose their benefits when they turn 18!
Patrick, last time I heard each prison inmate cost tax payers $45,000 what a waist, with 4 million inmates in the U.S. this is about 50 Billion dollars a year! these scumbags, the ones that steal or injure people, are getting more money than the people on welfare or social security, they should have to pay there own way! pay for their meals and pay for their shelter. Why should they get an air conditioned room? They should even have to pay for the guards that have to watch them.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-13-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
it took us a while to figure out how we could make it without the unemployment coming in. once we figured that out, it was pretty easy. I am still occasionally looking for work, but I am not willing to go get a job that would pay me $20k less per year than I was making. at that point, it is just working for daycare. I would rather spend the time with my kids, and focus on finally getting an education. doing those two things are more important to me than working a $12/hr job that may or may not have a future. unemployment is good for those who actually NEED it, but I am not one of them (luckily).

our prison system is a joke. we have more "elderly" inmates than ever before right now. they cost almost twice as much annually as our younger inmates because of healthcare. it is a joke how much money our govt wastes on completely unecessary items. I would hate to see that kind of behavior from the general public. oh wait. nevermind.
Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-13-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
Unemployment came up in discussion in my online class, and at least four people chimed in with people that they knew that were on unemployment and not looking for a job. So many people work the system it is ridiculous. It makes me angry too tj! This sounds like a good step in fixing that problem.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-13-2011, 3:55 PM Reply   
I agree the prison system is a cruel joke, and the joke is on us who pay a ridiculous amount to imprison people. Most prisoners are locked up for non-violent victimless crimes, that is to say drug related crimes. If there is no victim, there is no crime. The solution to this problem is to legalize all drugs. Instantly we cut the prison population in half or more. Prohibition does not work, and people's personal problems (drug addictions) are none of governments business. In addition to the savings from decreased prison population there would be tremendous savings in requiring less police, eliminating the DEA, less costs to protect our boarders, etc. The rug would be pulled out form under the drug cartels as legal drugs means lower prices and these violent organizations have no market. Addicts would go to a package store or similar like you do for alcohol. Beyond the immense savings, you also gain tax revenue as recreational drugs are taxed more heavily than regular purchases (i.e. alcohol and tobacco).
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-14-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
That's why some other countries have lessened the amount of time someone could collect unemployment because people would stop looking or just ride the gravy train. I think you should only be able to collect for up to a year.....if that. Otherwise it's pretty clear you aren't looking for a job.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-14-2011, 10:33 AM Reply   
"Patrick, last time I heard each prison inmate cost tax payers $45,000 what a waist, with 4 million inmates in the U.S. this is about 50 Billion dollars a year! these scumbags, the ones that steal or injure people, are getting more money than the people on welfare or social security, they should have to pay there own way! pay for their meals and pay for their shelter. Why should they get an air conditioned room? They should even have to pay for the guards that have to watch them."

Man, I couldn't agree more. My last house didn't even have air conditioning. I suffered during the summer when it would be 100+ all night long, but I still got up in the morning and went to work to pay my bills. This country is soft. Full of soft lazy people. Our founding fathers would roll in their graves if they could see it.

Those of us that work hard and pay taxes are penalized for it. The more you make, the more you're penalized until you become a millionaire and get to start working the system a bit. I'm going to be pissed when I got to retire and don't get social security after paying in my whole life. The government is a joke. If we all ran our finances like that we'd be broke, too, except there would be penalties for us.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-14-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
The reason why prisoners should get TV and air conditioning is because it should be distasteful (as in expensive) for us to be throwing people in prison.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-14-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
There goes John again, spewing his pro capital punishment propaganda.