Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-24-2004, 7:56 PM Reply   
I was in a buddies boat this weekend and he ran his stereo battery dead...he then put the perko switch to the starter battery and started the boat...once under way I asked if he wanted me to switch the perko to ALL. He then says that he was told not to switch while the engine was running and he would just charge the battery back at the dock????????

Isn't that the purpose of the Perko switch, to be able to start on one battery then switch over and charge both of them??? I know you are not supposed to switch them to off while the engine is running, but switching to 1, 2 or All is fine, right?

Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 8:32 PM Reply   
I dont see a problem with it. I thought that was the whole point so you can charge them both.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-24-2004, 8:54 PM Reply   
No, it is not all right unless his switch has the AFD (alternator field disconnect) or the continous connection between positions. Some of the cheaper switches do not offer protection between "one", "both", or "two" positions. As you pointed out, you never want to move the switch to "off" while the engine is running.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-25-2004, 2:39 AM Reply   
I happen to have one that is either on or off as in you are either charging all batteries or just the one,can you turn that one while the engine is running.
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-25-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
I just found Perko's website and they seem to think that it is fine to switch between all/1/2 because the switch is setup with a Make before Break connection. Therefore the alternator never loses connection when switching from one battery to the other one. So as I understand it it should be fine to switch between All/1/2, but you cannot switch to OFF.

I only ask because I wanted to install my perko switch this weekend...since I have had all kinds of battery trouble. The problem has been for about three years and for some reason something drains my battery if the boat sits for more than a day (usually 2-3 days) so I have been forced to disconnect the battery cables when I put the boat on the lift and when I return a few days later I have to hook everything up again... I had posted a few questions about this earlier, but I never got anywhere...anyway, I thought the problem was the alternator or the batteries so when I redid the stereo a few weeks ago I put in a new 150 Amp alternator and two blue tops...but the problem came back...So the only way I see to make sure the battery stays charged is to be able to disconnect the batteries. I just cannot figure out how I should hook them up to the Perko...

The diagram shows that you hook the starter up to the common stud on the perko and then each battery up to its respective post...so I have to rewire the starter???what guage wire should I pull to the starter?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-25-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
Sounds like you may have Amps that are not shutting down all the way, are your using a trigger wire to them?? Is the power wire to the amps connected directly to the batt?? If there are inline fuses between the batt and the amps, pull them instead of the batt cable. If your batt stays charged then you may have found your problem.

Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
Richard, just a question.
Couldn't you have put the switch to both and started your buddies boat?
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-25-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
All lights shut off on the amp if the key is not on...so I think they are shutting down all the way.

Yeah we probably could have put it to All and started the boat...I don't know, I haven't put one in yet
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-26-2004, 12:47 PM Reply   
i can tell you from expierence that on my boat we drain down our #2 battery at the beach all the time, switch it to the #1 battery start it up and drive away while were at speed someone switches the perko to "all" and we never have had a problem
Old    dliguori            06-26-2004, 6:13 PM Reply   
Doesn't having it at All mean that you are running on 24 volts? Isn't that a bad thing? I always switch between 1 and 2 and never put it on all but I'm self admittedly dumb.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-29-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
"all" does not mean you are running 24 volts. You will still be running 12 volts.
Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-29-2004, 12:47 PM Reply   
so let me get this straight...is it as simple as having the perko between the two batteries? If this is a pretty easy/quick install maybe I'll try and do it friday afternoon before the holliday weeekend.
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-29-2004, 9:30 PM Reply   
if you have the right crimper and ends for the battery terminals it shouldnt take you more then 1hr depending on how far away you ran your second battery and how clean you run all your battery cable. theres really nothing more then running the main starter wire to the common post on the perko, the + from one battery to post #1, the + from the other battery to the #2 post and make sure you have good grounds and your done
Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
the main starter wire? Which one is that, is it connected to the one battery I have now?
I also have a fuse connect to the battery now for the stereo equip, would I probably want to use this + for battery #2?