Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       04-19-2004, 12:53 PM Reply   
i see so many people fight of over the stupidest things at the launch, from a person backing down to launch their and being in someone else's way to spending to much time on the dock, some turning into throwing fists. Whats some of the stupidest things you have seen at the launch?
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-19-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
Never seen a fight at the launch but the stupidest thing was last year a guy un-hooked his trailer at the water,(for whp knows what reason, alls I can say is I didn't see his boat come out of the lake all weekend. Guess he wanted to add some structure for the fish
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-19-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
I've never seen any other than a couple husband / wife arguments because they can't get the truck backed up straight or get the boat on the trailer. Those can be amusing.

The two stupidest things I've seen was a drunk guy who couldn't back the trailer straight so he finally gave up and in frustration bounced it down the ramp jackknifed against the truck. I also watched another drunk completely sink his truck because everytime he tried to let out the clutch it kept rolling backward.

It must have been coors fault :-) (see lawsuit thread http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/150264.html?1082404622 )
Old     (wake_up_11)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-19-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
Twice I've seen a boat trailor w/boat on it come off vehicle and come screaming down the ramp (long 6 lane ramp, 250-350 feet). One time there was someone in the boat and they had a hell of a ride. Both times it caused multiple collisions at the bottom. Neither time was anyone seriously injured. Thank God.
Old    cam_warner            04-19-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
I can remember a time when there were these people with an I/O trying to drive their boat on to their trailer. They didn't bring their outdrive up and were just grinding the prop away on the ramp for a few miniutes. Once they finally got the boat on the trailer and out of the water, the prop was basically gone. All the blades were worn or broken off, and the owners looked a little embarassed onlookers stared at what used to be their prop....
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-19-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
I've never seen any real bad fight, but I did see a boat slide right off the trailer and onto the concrete. I was just backing my boat out away from the dock at the time.

Saw about 10 guys actually pick it up and put it back onto the trailer. About an hour later, here they are in the water driving along. I was really surprised.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-19-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
I saw a lady back her new SUV into the water (half way up the rear doors). Of course her husband was screaming NO NO NO NO NO!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-19-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
i saw another truck go under... a small pick up backing down to pull out a tin fishing boat and his back wheels were in the water, and he slowly started slipping... Everytime he tried to get out he just slide more. Finally he jumped out of the truck and watched it go completely under...

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=806

Also you cant forget beeper (city) Dave... Who was being stupid and for some reason, hit the gas on his hummer towing an offshore going head first down the ramp. Hit the breaks, but the weigh would not allow him to stop. Hummer goes completely under. To get it out they had to disconnect the offshore (the nose was half in the water) from the trailor, once they did that it popped up and floated forward anf the drives hit the hummer as it was floating over and cracked the outdrives... hahaha
Old    whitechocolate            04-19-2004, 3:04 PM Reply   

Ok this is what I found out. These Tent campsites are first come first serve. They said it starts filling wednesday night. Whats the best place to try and get a spot at, I guess all the spots close to the water are gone early???
Pine Knoll
Eagles Ridge
Sandy Point
Old    davidhoffman            04-19-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
As our friend was reversing the boat into the water, his 4 year old son decided to clime up into the drivers seat and take the parking brake off. Somehow the car didnt go all the way under but the trailer went on way and the car the other. Broken trailer, ruined day...
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-19-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
Not really a fight but funny...

Berryessa probably 10-12 years ago near Putah Creek when water level was low. The nice wide ramp funnelled down only one vehicle and trailer at a time. Anyways, this drunk guy decides to go "offroad" into the mud to pick up his boat. The wife and dog pull the boat onto the trailer. He then proceeds to stomp on the gas, covering his boat inside and out, dog and wife in two inches of mud. She starts screaming bloody murder and then starts crying. He gets out, looks at her without saying a word, locks the hubs to engage 4 wheel drive and drives away.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-19-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
Lake Sonoma-Foriegn fisherman puts his boat on the trailer,proceeds to drive up the ramp.His outdrive is still down,as he drags it part way up the ramp.
He jumps out the truck,into boat,raises outdrive.Parking brake is NOT set.Truck goes into the water all the way up to the top of the seats.
Boat runs into 3 boats tied up to the dock,punches hole in expensive bass boat held by BIG chick.
Fisherman decides he's gonna drive away when big chick rips him out of the truck.He screams"I did nothing,help me!"She slams him up against truck a couple times real hard.
Drunk morons directly behind him,drive all the way to top of ramp,about 200 yards,with outdrive down.Prop is gone.

I swear you could sit there all day with a supply of beer and be entertained.

(Message edited by gunz on April 19, 2004)
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-19-2004, 6:53 PM Reply   
Saw one incident that should have been a very small problem with a simple solution turn into a near disaster. Mum, Dad and son putting the outboard ski boat in the water. Dad drops boat in with Mum aboard while son holds rope attached to boat. Son drops rope, boat floats out. Mum realises that bung isn't in boat. Rather then either leaning over the back and putting the bung in or rowing or driving the boat back to the trailer, Mum sits in observers seat and screams at Dad and son (who are trying to convince her to do one of the above). By the time they realise that they aren't going to convince her and for Dad to swim out to save the boat, the back half of the boat is underwater. Funny because it was a good 10 minutes for this all to happen.
Old    maverick_gear            04-19-2004, 10:14 PM Reply   
sunday on lake sammamish the whole lake was butter and we were riding the shoreline opposite the state park for about an hour, we were the only wake boat on the lake, we saw an X-star launch and they decided out of all the butter that ours was the best so they ran the same stretch of lake looking at me like im the idiot the whole time, worse thing they were pulling an inexperienced airchair and kept stopping and turning around everywhere making all the water after getting sick of the BS we drove off to find some lonely water, maybe its just me but im pretty sure i had the right away, that kind of stuff just pisses me off i've been riding that lake for near 20 years and it never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people can be. not to say i haven't made my share of dick moves but still...
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
Get your lawnchairs out and sit at any boat launch on Memorial weekend. Great show...
Lot's of new boaters, drunks and dim bulbs all trying to use the launch at the same time.
The best one I saw was the drunks that had thier truck die at the bottom of the ramp. His buddy who had already pulled his boat out, backs his boat up to the stalled truck and they tie a ski rope from the transom of the boat to the front of the truck to pull the boat up the ramp. After the rope broke 3 times they had he bright idea to use a chain...

Moral of the story...
Bayliner transoms are not designed to use as vehicle towing devices.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-20-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
Just this past weekend I saw four guys and two girls in a small runabout trying to unload at the ramp. They backed the boat/trailer not even half way in the water and then proceeded to push the boat off the trailer. After about 5 minutes of trying to muscle it off they realized the straps were still strapped on the transom. Then once they docked the boat they all went back to their SUV (parked about 75 yards away) and carried their boards, towels, coolers, etc. on the boat. People just make stuff harder than it really is. I sometimes wish I had a 12 pack of beer and a lawn chair by the ramp...that would make for some nice entertainment!
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
I'm a pretty level-headed guy, but this one dude chapped my arse. He was tandem towing like a 26' cruiser with a couple jets skis on trailer linked up to the boat trailer. Instead of pulling to the parking area to unload the jet skis and trailer while he launched the cruiser, he drops the trailer in the one-and-only access road to the ramp. So you have 2 open ramps, at least 5 boats waiting to come out, at least 7 tow vehicles waiting to launch/retrieve and this knucklehead decides to stop and carry-on a conversation while blocking all usage to the ramps. I yell a couple choice things which go unheard, but this big bubba was about at wits end. My wife had to 4WD it over parking barriers to get by. We were outta there, but I wouldn't be surprised if something happened later.
Talk about inconsiderate people!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-20-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
i miss the bleachers at orwoods setup just to watch people load and unload their boats at the ramp
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-20-2004, 11:14 AM Reply   
Lake Elsinore a couple of years ago. Just put my boat on the trailer. Getting ready to motor up the ramp. Here comes this sweet 4wd Ford excursion all done up cali style. Teen agers get out (obviously Dads set up),they drop the trailer into the water and have one of the other kids drive this brand new eliminator onto the trailer. Don't know why he did this, but he guns this souped up boat justas the boats nose reaches the back of the trailer and punches the boat right through the back of the excursion. Windows blow out, doors get smashed in and the kid looks at the others like "what just happened?" I fall down laughing, and ask if it is their first time to the lake. Dirty looks follow and I walk up to my truck still crying with my ribs killing me as they try to figure out how to tell dad what the hell happened once they get home.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-20-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
Once a lady couldnt back her waverunners in. So i asked her if I could help her in anyway, thinking id help guide her in... No she says "yeah can you back it in for me..Im like sure, as im backing it in, she walks 300 feet away to use the bathroom. Im all alone with her new Jeep wrangler and two brand new yamaha skis. Talk bout trust....Id never even met this person in my life. And she trusts me enough to let me back her rig in while she just walks the other direction not even paying attention. Finally her kid and her come down to the ramp after like 10 minutes and take the waverunners. I go park her jeep for her, walk back down to the ramp and give her the keys to her jeep.

Danny Turner
HYPOXIC FILMS
hypoxicfilms.com
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
At the local lake I watched two couples pull up in a little Jeep CJ pulling what looked to be a new 23' Crownline. They pulled up to the ramp and loaded two chicks, one dude and two coolers in the boat and started down the ramp towards water. Half way down he hit the breaks, the boat pulled the Jeep about 10 more feet. So then we unloaded the boat and put everyone back in the Jeep for weight. Once the boat was in the water it was reloaded and pulled away from the dock/ramp and the Jeep went to park. As I pulled out to park our truck & trailer asked the guy driving the Jeep if the boat was new & if this was their first time out. He said it's his first boat but is was used. I told him he will need two things…

1st - "You will need something bigger to get that boat out of the water with all that extra water weight." He asked, "What water weight?"

2nd - I asked him, "Did you put the plug in??? -Rookie"
Another… Family with new bayliner backing down the ramp with a little Volvo. Dad was having some troubles, the mom was yelling at him, the kids were going crazy and dad was yelling at the kids. This went on for more that 5min before I offered to help. Dad sad, "no, I got it." And mom said "just let him help so we can get out of everyone's way." A few mins later dad got a good run, and ran the side of the boat down the side of the boat dock putting a nice deep scratch in their new boat. Mom & dad got out and started in on one in other then got back in the Volvo and sped off.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-20-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
A guy towing a aluminum fishing boat with his cadillac. He is actually trying to load the boat. Couldn't get the boat on the trailer so he backs up until the front wheels are in the water. When he gets the boat loaded he heads over to his camp site and drills holes in the tunk and back seats to let the water drain out.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-20-2004, 12:23 PM Reply   
Kathrines, Lake Mohave 15 years ago. Old lady pulls brand new truck down and backs up to water. Old man drives boat from side dock towards back of truck making a huge wake of whitewater. Drives boat up to truck, hooks tongue of trailer to back of truck. Rips the old gal a new one. Unhooks the boat from the trailer and backs the boat off. We found out later it was their first boat. The old man told her to unhook the boat when she backed down and she thought that meant the trailer from the truck.
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-20-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
My wife and I used to live in Sacramento right next to the Delta near the Garcia Bend municipal boat ramp. This was before we had a boat so every night we would go on a walk and end up at the boat ramp around dusk and dream about owning a boat someday, etc... My wife grew up around boats so we would always enjoy the lively discussions that occurred between husbands and wives at the ramp. It was well known at this ramp that there was a big pothole under the water that you didn't want to get your trailer wheel stuck in. It was a fairly narrow ramp with not a really good transition area so not a lot of room to reposition. That said, it would be no big deal to pull up and reposition the trailer if you got stuck.

Well, one night we happened upon the ramp right around dusk and watched some serious drama unfold. Some drunk dumbass in a 2-wheel drive F150 has his boat on the trailer and is spinning his wheels like crazy trying to pull his boat out of the water. Obviously, his wheel was stuck in the well-known rut but was too stupid to realize it. So, instead of just taking the boat off the trailer and repositioning it, he enlists the help of some "friends". The first friend was a toyota 4x4 that backed in front of his F150 and chained himself to the bumper of the other truck. I guess they figured the two vehicles pulling together could get the job done. So, they start pulling together until the bumper rips off the front of the F150. They're not done yet! They rechain the Toyota to the F150 and then another "friend" in a flatbad truck hooks himself up to the Toyota. So, now, you have 3 trucks chained together trying to pull one 21' SeaRay or some such IO out of the water.

About this point the boat owners wife happens by laughing her butt off. Laughing because she's sick and tired of being yelled at and she told him to go screw himself...she's going home. We sat and chatted with her for a few minutes and off she went.

So, back at the ramp you have 3 trucks all chained together. Now these 3 knuckleheads hit it together. And nothing. The flatbed is screeching and the bed is jumping all over the place. The Toyota (jacked up by the way) is lurching and looks like it's about to be pulled apart and the F150 is still smoking his tires to no avail at the end of this "train". HILARIOUS! This whole time the boat is just sitting on the trailer with not so much as a nudge forward.

Now, finally, they all unhook and instead of the F150 repositioning himself and just calling it a day he gets in his boat and takes off up the river towards another ramp about 2 miles North. He enlisted the help of a stranger to drive his truck up to the other ramp and that was that.

I can't tell you how many times I have retold that story and it just seems funnier every time I do. My wife and I still laugh about it and remember it anytime things get a little tense between us at the launch ramp.

I have always said that launch ramp drama is one of America's best spectator sports.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-20-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
I hate to admit this but many times I do sit up the hill from the ramp and just watch the stupid things that go on.

My buddies and I usually tip back a few beers and wipe the boat down get it all organized with the tunes playin and make fun of people.

It's better than most reality showns on t.v.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-20-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
Bring your video cameras this spring and video tape some of this stuff. A good bit of combined footage from all of us could make a pretty funny movie.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-20-2004, 1:06 PM Reply   
That is a great idea
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       04-20-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
haha, im definetly gonna have to bring my camera and sit there. The worst thing i have seen was one saturday evening when its crazy and eveyone is trying to pull out and some trying to put in, on a 3 lane launch, i was just iddling waiting in line to be next to pull out, i see some guy just back down with his boat, wanting to put in his boat, blocking 2 people who dont even have there boats on their trailers yet, the guy who is blocked freaks out (anyone probably would) cause this dude doesnt know what he is doing, lots of choice words being screamed at each other, then some physical contact, both guys are shoving, trying to throw punches at one another, while the daughter of one guy tries to seperate, them, eventually the guy who is blocking hime drives away. The whole Marina had a show that day, and nobody did anything about it.
Old    tom_schimizzi            04-20-2004, 3:01 PM Reply   
Although it is great and funny to watch these stupid occurences, why not get out and help these people in need? I'm sure we all weren't perfect launchers when we started boating, and we all made stupid mistakes. So next time you see a truck sunk in 4 foot of water on the ramp, get out your tow strap and offer to help him out.
Old    bandit33            04-20-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
I agree with Tom; sometimes you just have to help, even though you may be trying not to LOL. Usually they will gladly accept the help and advice, maybe not always.
The most memorable ramp occurance I witnessed was several years ago. A guy had launched his boat with two young children in it. It got away from him and about that time his P\U started sliding into the water. The kids were screaming and he freaked over the truck and then tried to swim out to the boat. Evidently he couldn't swim and almost drowned. We were in our boat and got over there quickly and picked him up while some of our buddies in another boat went and got the boat with the kids. The one funny thing about this whole thing (since no one was hurt) was all the empty beer cans that floated out of the bed of the P/U went it submerged. We spent several minutes gathering those up....
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-20-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
Last year,Memorial Day,Lake Sonoma.Rookie day was kicked off with 3 morons taking up space on the launch,all with their engine boxes up.Seems they all neede a jump.Dumb,dumb,dumb!Check the equipment before you leave the house.

Neighbor across the street from me has done this twice.After winter,just take it to the lake,no starting,checking fluids,any of that.Within about an hour he always comes back,and puts it on the battery charger.You'd think he'd of figured this out by now.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-20-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
First time I went to back my friends boat down it was at Orwood,and the bleachers were packed.I put it in park,got out,and walked back to the boat.Told him NO WAY!He ended up doing it.LOL.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-20-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
They actually have bleachers by the ramp just for watching the morons? Talk about pressure!
Old    ag4ever            04-20-2004, 5:38 PM Reply   
I bet the bleacher make you think twice about doing something really stupid. I also bet it helps keep people moving, as who wants to spend time on stage.
Old    walt            04-20-2004, 6:04 PM Reply   
Rich,I think We need to set up bleachers at Sonoma
Old     (tktige)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-20-2004, 7:01 PM Reply   
Saw a guy In Orlando trying to pull a waterlogger Bayliner Ariva out of a ramp with a front wheel drive 1998 Honda Accord. After watching him fry the tires and seeing 4 of his buddies sitting on the front end he still could not get the boat out. I offered to pull it out for with my Jeep if we could get the wheels blocked. Got it out for hit and watched him drive off with an over heating car.

Moral of the story Honda Accords should not have a trailer hitch (not a factory option)
Old    proskier            04-20-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
i havnt see to many, but i have seen a fisherman leave his motor toter on and back the boat in and then try to lower the motor and it wouldnt go down of course and then suddenly it worked and he drove around a bit before raising up his engine and realizing the it was still attatched and amazingly still in one piece....looked like someone put it in a sausage grinder, but still in a single piece. i have also seen many guys w/ i/o pull their boats out of the water w/o ever raising the engine and dragging the scag the whole way up.

thats the extent we see around here. other than the occasional grandpa
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-21-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
Saw one couple at Anderson years ago, put in an old runabout, some off name. Anyways, they were launching with a early 80's Pontiac 4 door, while I was waiting for my buddy to get his truck so we could pull his boat out. Their boat goes in the water, and promptly drifts sideways, blocking both lanes at the ramp. While the wife is trying to start the boat, the guy drives his "rig" up to the parking lot. I throw a rope to the wife, and pull her to the dock so she's out of the way at least. I'm not really paying too much attention at this point, there's lots of people trying to launch and recover, and I'm still waiting on my buddy, he's in line waiting. Hubby finally comes back, and you can hear the stress in his voice as he's asking his wife why the boat isn't started yet. Then she notices the water . He starts pulling seat cushions, digging for something, and I casually ask if he's got his plug in. His response was classic. "If I can just get the battery out of the water, I think I can get her started and pump all this water out." I tried as hard as I could to keep a straight face, and asked about the plug again. His wife starts in about "no wonder we got this boat so cheap." Finally I convince him that he needs to go get his trailer and pull his boat out until he learns what a plug is. All this time, he's blocking the one good lane, and pretty much only bass boats are coming in and out. There were some choice words thrown at him as he ran back to get his car, pass up everyone in line, and finally spin his tires all the way up the ramp. haha, good times. Good times.
Old     (boardordie)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-21-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
Brookville Lake, Indiana

Older couple pulling out a brand new ranger bass boat with a huge 200 hp outboard with a fairly new Cadillac. The husband backs down the ramp and has the wife "drive" the boat onto the trailer. She comes in slow like she should and everything looks normal. Apparently the guy wants her to get the boat all the way up on the trailer the first time without stopping and waiting for the trailer to get the boat settled. After 3 attempts the guy is getting loud and cussing the wife for not being able to get the boat on the trailer. The wife by this time is MAD she backs up about 25 feet and hammers the throttle. The boat comes to rest on top of the Cadillac's roof... all windows are blown out and roof is now 6 inches shorter. Wife gets out of boat and storms up the ramp with a shot over the shoulder about "Is that F%@#ing far enough on the trailer."

I still laugh to this day about that show.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
Nothing better than a super windy day, a pontoon boat and a husband and wife team!

Eric