Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (mnwakeboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-24-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
Im looking for a wakeboard with some crazy huge straight up pop and i cant decide what board to get. any suggestions?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-24-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
Slingshot Recoil.
most pop of any board I've ever been on...

notable others (but not nearly as good):
LF Shane
Ronix Ibex
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-24-2009, 9:27 PM Reply   
funny...i didn't think slingshot was anywhere near as good as my board (shane 140).
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       12-24-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
From what I rode:
Parks
Wakeology

Look at a 3 stage but get ready for some boot! If you looking at using it at rails also, the Wakeology has a great flat center that would kill it on cable and on rails...
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-24-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Everyone jousting for their own...

Ronix Ibex has huge straight up pop.
LF Shane, huge straight up pop.
SS Recoil huge straight up pop, super soft landings.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-24-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
*edit to mine:

"notable others (but not as good for me):"
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-24-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
my personal preference/ biased opinion is the slingshot recoil as well

other boards to add to the list besides this, shane, and the ibex, are:
LF FLX
Company Severance
LF Watson (several cores and shapes available now, including a gybrid flex core)
Obrien Natural
Obrien Decade

* of these additional boards i have only ridden the Obrien Natural. definitely one of my more favorite foam core boards, but for me i am converted to cores utilizing flex such as with slingshot. I would like to try the decade some day though. every rider i have heard from who has tried a board with obrien's delta pattern says it indeed speeds it up on the water more than without.
Old    walt            12-24-2009, 11:22 PM Reply   

quote:

funny...i didn't think slingshot was anywhere near as good as my board (shane 140).

It didn't do much for me either.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-25-2009, 5:02 AM Reply   
of all the boards i've ridden (watson, lymnan, shane, player, natural, decade, recoil, response, coven, one, legend (vandalls gator board), 3DS), i found the Watson to have the most straight up vertical pop.
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       12-25-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
Watson. It's amazing.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-25-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
Lyman, Shane, ibex. If you like continuous go with the viva.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-25-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
***oops i meant to say that i have only ridden the obrien PLAYER... so that is a third to add to the obrien list.

BASICALLY Check out any board that is labeled as purely a 3 stage or aggressive 3 stage rocker. these will have the most straight up pop. Demo if at all possible, "proven/ popular shapes" fit the masses and maybe not the individual. if you are able and have time check the progressive 3 stage or hybrid styles too (such as the lyman suggested)

Sine wakeboards (*blended 3 stage rocker*) have a really kool demo program that they build a board FOR YOU and ship it for you to try. only company to offer that kind of service, might be worth looking at
http://sinewakeboards.com/demo.html

(Message edited by wakerider111 on December 25, 2009)
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-25-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard.asp?boardid=109
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-25-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
Recoil for me, because you get booted but also you don't have to worry about the landings as they are super soft.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-25-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   

quote:

By Brent Boucher (supernatural) on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 2:39 pm:

Recoil for me, because you get booted but also you don't have to worry about the landings as they are super soft.

sounds just like the shane for me as i haven't ridden a board w/ softer landings, but i got way bigger pop on the shane. landings on the slingshot was hard for me.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-25-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
The way a board rides is 90% the person on it.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-25-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
^^^^agreed.
ive been told the lyman is one of the softest landing boards ever. and i think it lands brutally.
Old    wiz            12-26-2009, 6:25 AM Reply   
i'm an older rider @ 36 with not-so-great knees. i've tried 'em all & the flex boards pop better & land softer. they take alittle getting use to. more than just a couple of sets. they have def allowed me to have more fun taking stuff out to the flats than a traditional board will. demo, demo, demo..but flex is where its at!
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-26-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
CWB Absolute Platinum with "Special" big guy lay-up! It's the stiffest board I have ever ridden and pops straight up HUGE every time!
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-26-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
I can't believe so many people were baited onto this thread...

Hey all, what is the best boat manufacturer?...
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-26-2009, 10:45 PM Reply   
well that would be mastercraft of course!!!!

But back to boards.... I just got the slingshot response and although i have not road it yet, i would like to think it has the greatest pop of all
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-26-2009, 11:32 PM Reply   
Most pop is obviously the Marius because its the widest...
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-28-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
SS Recoil (what a feeling)
Shane... love to ride my Shane between to Recoil ride!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-28-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
Well I have to toss the 2010 O'brien Decade in the Mix here, that thing is amazing. No only does it have insane pop it is the fastest 3-stage I have ever had the oppotunity to ride, its down right amaizing.

Get a Decade it will change your life.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-28-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
+1 on the decade. Broke my shane and was riding an ibex in a comp. After I demo'd a witness 1st and then a decade. Got tossed on my 1st jump because i wasn't used to it. SO MUCH POP!
That being said though i am getting a recoil/severence but if you dont wanna go flex, get the decade
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-28-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
Nothing tops the '05 Hyperlite Parks in my opinion... like riding a vertical popping bronco.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-28-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Wow all these posts and no Byerly?

I think the Monarch with the Nova core is the biggest strait up poppin board out. Butch's 8" flat spots are the biggest 3 stage rockers on the market. Add the nova core and it not contest.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-28-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
my link was to one of byerly's original wake tech boards. That board had a ton of pop.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-28-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
no way its all about the Double Up Keith Kidberg 139. so fast and huge pop... im rocking it right now because of a broken watson and im trying to figure out why i switched in the first place.
Old     (mnwakeboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-28-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. it helped a lot
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-28-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
The "LOG".
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-29-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Getting "straight up" pop obviously has to do with the board, whether it's 3 stage vs continuous...but it also hasalot to do with your riding. You can get straight up pop riding a continuous if you aproach the wake slower and load up before you get to the top. That being said it works vice versa as well. A buddy of mine charges hard and takes everything way out in the flats and seems to get more and gets more "out" rather than up pop and he rides a 3 stage. The board does have something to do with straight up pop buts it's not everything.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-29-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Wierd, a guy with no posts sets off a pimping session about an attribute like "pop" which has next to nothing to do with the board you ride and much more to do with how you ride it.

Asking which board has more pop is like asking which board is more fuel efficient. Sure you can make an arguement that the board that a rider is most comfortable on will result in less falls thus saves fuel, but it has nothing to do with the attributes of the board. Most of the guys answering know this, but see it as an opportunity to push their product/sponsors.

Eric, if you are real, find a board that moves in the water the way you like and is size appropriate for your strength/weight. Learn to pop on it.

/thread
Old     (mnwakeboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-31-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
I understand that good wakeboarding has very little to do with the wakeboard and is almost all about the rider. i was just having a hard time decided what board to buy and wanted to get some input.
Jason, if you are real, understand that i was just looking for some suggestions on some peoples favorite boards