Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2004, 6:12 PM Reply   
In Sundays paper, I quote:

El Capitan: 25 miles east of San Diego. Water skiing, jet skiing and sailboarding Saturday through Monday in summer.

I never new they allowed water contact at El Cap on Mondays, so I thought I'd pass this along to anyone that may be interested:-)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-19-2004, 6:58 PM Reply   
Probably a little more accurate info, from the City Lakes Department website:

El Capitan is open on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday schedule for fishing and boating. There will not be a concession at the lake, but vending machines are being installed for the convenience of patrons. Use of personal watercraft (jetskis, waverunners) is also now open on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday schedule. However, these is still no towing of anyone at any time.
Old    akman            05-19-2004, 8:46 PM Reply   
El Cap hasn't been open for towing of any kind in the past 5 years, the lake is down over 100' it can't handle much more than 40 boats before the water goes to crap. It has a better view in my opinion than San V, but it also sits in a wind tunnel and gets blown out bad.

One of our 2 water contact lakes in San Diego and we can't use it.

Just think in 2 years when they expand the damn at San V there won't be a lake in San Diego to use for water contact.

That's our tax $$ hard at work for you......

Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-20-2004, 10:06 AM Reply   
Aki, When they start on the dam expansion they will open up El Cap for towing(maybe). You're right about the conditions at El Cap except for one thing; I've been there when only 10 boats cause the water to crap out as they confine all towing to an oval in the main bay.

Sweetwater reservoir is huge with no water contact, Lower Otay is butter heaven with no water contact, Morena and Hodges allow limited water contact but are at 10% capacities, and on and on...........

Your and Dave's places on the river are looking better and better all the time!
Old    akman            05-20-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
I grew up right next to Otay and it was built along the same guidelines as Diamond Valley. It has nice bathrooms, nice pic-nic area, concession stand and great parking.......

Low and behold the fisherman got hold of it and lobbied against water contact.......

It is butter almost all day, has protected areas from wind and is about the size of San V.

There is scuttle about opening El Cap to boating when San V closes, however like Mike says 10 boats and the water is basically useless.

Just think of what San V will be like once they raise the damn 80 to 100 feet from how high it is now, what little wind protection the lake had will be gone and all the little fingers and arms will be wide.........no more slalom or wakeboard coarse, they will want to use the whole lake and the only remaining arm will be the back kiddie arm and we all know with the steep vertical walls that place doesn't work.....

Hello Mission Bay...........NOT!!!
Old    swass            05-20-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
Roh roh
Old    akman            05-20-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
Swass, it won't happen as much as the bay is butter mid week and I have time to ride I can honestly say I won't be sticking the SANTE in the salty bay very soon....

Perris, Elsinore or drag it North if needed.

Maybe I will move to Colorado so I can hang out with the Standley Lake "909" crew.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-20-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
Gramps, butter every weekday till the wind picks up. IF it is not windy, the lake will stay glassy smooth till peeps start showing up after work. Oh yea, it is also only about 12 blocks from the house. Weekends it is not bad till around noon. Only drawback, the 7 months it is closed.
Old    swass            05-20-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
Gramps moving to Colorado...yeah, right.
Old    akman            05-20-2004, 11:44 AM Reply   
Sausage, I will never move!

I love San Diego and all that it has to offer......for those of you looking to move here MEDIAN HOME prices just hit $439,000!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20040520-9999-1n20housing.html

Thank God I bought my house in 99'

Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       05-20-2004, 1:21 PM Reply   
I bought my house about 8 months ago in Santee, I've made about $100k already. Stupid.

What can we do to make sure we have a fresh water lake to ride once San V closes to water contact? 3 hours to Fishers is fine for weekend trips, but I try to hit San V at least once a week before I go to work in the morning.

-gvb
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-20-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
you have too many damn hippies in California ruining your riding spots.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2004, 4:34 PM Reply   
Last I checked, most fishermen were not hippies.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-20-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
My bad, but I have to ask why the fishermen are against water contact?

(Message edited by colorider on May 20, 2004)
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2004, 11:14 PM Reply   
Big wakes, loud music, and idiotic behavior seem to be the main alleged reasons.
Old    tutman            05-21-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
GRAMPS - you're not knockin' MB are ya'? haha

We need to convice the fisherman we are scaring all the fish their way. Besides, what's not to like about "big wakes, loud music, and idiotic behavior"?
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-21-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
I think I'm the reason we have lousy access.
Got pulled over AGAIN at San V by some new Ranger guy and his large girlfriend last Saturday. Claims we were closer than the allowable 100' to his boat as we rode by(gee, that never goes on at San V). Of course in this particular area the lake isn't even 200' wide so I'm not quite sure how we are suppose to abide by this rule that's enforced oh, I don't know, maybe NEVER!! Later as we rounded a corner with a rider he bolts out of the course area at a high rate of speed forcing our driver to make a sharp right turn toward shore as to avoid a collision, oblivious to the situation. Even later we observed him giving lectures to all the boats signed up for the 10--2 courses. Aki, you would love this guy--he's a piece of work. Seems to be on a MAJOR POWER TRIP.
Old    stormrider            05-24-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
Last summer I spoke with a number of different representatives from various governmental agencies about why Diamond Valley Lake was closed to wakeboarding. I don't remember hearing that it had anything to do with ballast, stereos or boat speed. I do remember hearing about how, primarily, the Orange County Water District people were strongly against water contact because they felt that any water contact would pollute the drinking water and, secondarily, they were motivated by aesthetic concerns.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2004, 2:22 PM Reply   
Andrew:

quote:

My bad, but I have to ask why the fishermen are against water contact?

Me:

quote:

Big wakes, loud music, and idiotic behavior seem to be the main alleged reasons.

Steve:

quote:

Last summer I spoke with a number of different representatives from various governmental agencies about why Diamond Valley Lake was closed to wakeboarding. I don't remember hearing that it had anything to do with ballast, stereos or boat speed.

I was responding to why fishermen are against water contact, not why the Orange County Water District people were/are against it.
Old    akman            05-24-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
One reason Otay isn't open is because the fisherman lobbied that the boat noise, wakes and people in the water would lessen the fish spawn in certain areas of the lake.

The fisherman at San V are trying to say the same thing about certain areas of the lake so don't be surprised if they close part of San V to wakeboarding.

Mike: A HAPPY park ranger is one that doesn't have to get out on the lake and patrol....IE: doing their JOB, they would be most happy if only fisherman came to the lake......less hassles.

The Rangers rarely come out of the booth to help new people launch, they don't patrol the ramp when people take 20 minutes to launch or retrieve, they don't ask people to move off the ramp to the area above to wipe down their boats, they want to sit in the booth with their feet up drinking coffee.

I was told point blank last year by a member of the Rangers staff after I told them the way they treat wakeboarders has soured me towards using the lake....."Great that's one less boat and wakeboarder to deal with"

Since that day I have been to San V 2 times.....

Loud music, big wakes, having fun, and enjoying the California sun is not the picture San V wants to promote.

Family lake, tranquility.........now that's a Rangers paradise......

I know how you feel Mike, I went a few weeks ago just to get wet and run the boat around, the minute I turned the radio to a moderate level, the burly Ranger gal gave me the DEATH stare.

Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-24-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
I was told to turn down my radio the other day, the first time the new system was in, and he said City of San Diego has a noise ordinance of 50 ft and I could hear yours clear for 400 yds away. I said sorry to disturb you. I was about 200 yds away. He said its not me its the fisherman. Lame.

It's people like me who ruin it for fishermen.

I've been out there 2 weeks in a row on Saturday and by 9 it was Missin Bay on 4th of July, and the 2nd time we were the 7th boat. And there are a ton of new wakeboats with uncapable drivers so that makes it even better.

I think I'm going private lake route.

I'm shopping for a campo stopped by 2 weeks ago. See you there. Lets ride.

(Message edited by slipknot on May 24, 2004)
Old    stormrider            05-24-2004, 6:12 PM Reply   
Fishermen are the cause. Okay, then why are there fewer restrictions, not more, in Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, Minnesota, every midwestern state and, of course, the home of wakeboarding, Florida-- where there are more fishermen than mosquitos?

Do they make fishermen different there? Does something happen when a fisherman crosses the continental divide?
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2004, 6:22 PM Reply   
Fishermen are far and away the primary cause in San Diego County, Steve. Many of us had many meetings with the lake staff, and included the fishermen representatives in a few of them. They were very clear about how they felt about wakeboarders, and if you don't trust my word ask any of the many wakeboarding representatives who were there (including the famous Dave Williams himself).

They have traditionally been VERY organized, and have close contacts within the City Lakes and Recreation Department, not to mention politically in the council and up.

You can't compare to the other places because they have many more lakes, thus less competition between user groups.

Again, I am not opining on DVL, as I have no idea what's going on up there, or what the cause is for our exclusion.

I realize it is very convenient to blame it on environmental extremists, but IMHO that has little to do with the situation in our county.
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-24-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
So yesterday I'm opening my City of San Diego water bill and imagine my surprise--in the included informational brochure is a picture of the same two Rangers that hassled me........

Steve, that's a very good question. As you know, California tends to be somewhat more restrictive in its laws than the other 49. Smoking & auto emission restrictions come to mind and now, you'll have to be 18 to visit a sun tanning booth without an adult's consent? Also, Florida outnumbers California substantially in quantity of lakes. Here in So Cal we lack natural large year around rain fed lakes, therefore most of our "reservoirs" have been set up to receive and pump out water to treatment plants for human consumption rather than "sit there" for our visual enjoyment. Consequently so few bodies of water translates into a crowded environment that has been used by fishermen for years while water contact is a relatively new activity on any of the reservoirs.
My theory is that in Florida many skiers for many years have had access to many inland lakes whereas here in San Diego water skiers were relegated to the bay or the river until the late 80's. We're trying to fight a long history of established fishing in our inland lakes and the fishing community is none too happy about it.
Old    starstudded99            05-24-2004, 11:51 PM Reply   
You know Uncle Mike from what i can understand, i dont think they will be to happy with us playing loud music at 7am anymore. But then again i say we just do it anyways, i think they are just jealous because they cant be out there having as much fun as we are, so they are just bitter and becuase they cant have fun they have to spoil ours instead.