Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    starky44            02-18-2004, 5:24 AM Reply   
I'm trying to figure out a way to install four JL 6 x 9's in a towerbox so that nobody can steal them. I've thought about drilling or grinding the head down so they can't just be taken out with a screw driver but, then all someone has to do is take a cordless drill and drill the heads out. Does anyone use anything or have any ideas?
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-18-2004, 7:17 AM Reply   
May not be what you want, but the best security is out of sight. Add quick release clamps and remove them from the boat when you get home. If you're worried about them being stolen, then that's the only sure way to prevent it.

Boats on trailers tend to be very insecure. In my area, it is unheard of to have alarms in boats, so theoretically all you need to do it cut the tarp and take whatever is loose.

Of course in Canada stuff like this doesn't happen

Trash
Old     (ryankid)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
I have a good idea for ya. Try buying some security screws, they come in a bunch of diff sizes and head shapes. You then buy a security bit that puts them in and takes them out. Theres no other way to take them out unless u have that bit. But if there going to drill them out, there going to take them anyway.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-18-2004, 7:22 AM Reply   
Matt, your solution will at least slow them down and force them to make noise. I'd say that's a great deterrent.
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-18-2004, 8:06 AM Reply   
Mark, I don't know what kind of speaker box you have, but Samson Sports builds a quick release speaker system so the speakers can be taken down and put away when not in use. He may be able to adapt yours, then again maybe not. I would contact him and ask. www.samsonsports.com
Old    starky44            02-18-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
I called samsonsports and those clamps will not work with the application I want to use. Thanks for the lead though.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-18-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
I agree with trash here. When you've had as much stuff stolen as I have you learn that locks and clamps only stop honest people. Sometimes they even make things worse because they have to break the surrounding stuff to get what they want. The best solution, if practical, is to keep them out of sight.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-18-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
Same philosophy a friend told me that I follow with my car! People would say when we park "Dont you want to put the top up?"

"Well, no, cause then they're going to have to slice the top as well on their way to getting what I have!"
Old    valhalla579            02-18-2004, 6:13 PM Reply   
Check these out... they're made for computers, but im sure they would work fine on any screw of a similar diameter and head size... look at the .pdf instruction file to see how they work

http://www.pcguardiananti-theft.com/Desktop_Security/6001_Case_Lock_Screw_Mount.html