Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-05-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
Just purchased new head and 4 Polk speakers. Have yet to buy a sub and amp.

Was looking at the 12' Polk db Sub which I think I am going to go ahead and get.

I had a question about an amp though. I was told that if I have an amp for my speakers, they will sound a lot better so I was thinking a 5 channel amp, 1 for sub and 4 for the speakers. Is it worth $400 or should I just buy an amp for the sub and not worry about the speakers? Also, how much effect will a 5 channel amp plus head sub and speakers have on my battery?

Thanks !
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-06-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
dude get amp'ed. If you have polk momo's then you shouldn't even question an amp for them. An amp instead of head unit power is a world of difference.

As far as a 5 channel v. one 4 channel and one mono. I like to separate my sub from my others. I would get two amps one for the mids (4 channel) and one mono for the sub.

Are your polks tower or boats speakers?

Your battery will be fine if you are not planning on sitting and playing all night. Your boat will charge your battery fine while running all day. Now if you plan on killing it and sitting for 4 hours, then you want a deep cycle batt.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-06-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Nick,

A Total 4-channel and mono block (by JL Audio) are under $350 together (less with a forum discount).

If you're using either a monoblock or 5-channel, get the DVC sub.

Definitely amplify your coaxials high-pass. Its a day in night difference in output and clarity.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-06-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
David, I run my in boat seperates on full just crossed over a little higher. Would it be better to run them on High pass and cross them over lower like I do my towers?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-06-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
Hate,

I don't follow. Shoot me a PM and be a little more specific.

Thanks

David
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-06-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
I just got 4 regular Polk db speakers.

but would I have to get two separate amps though?
Old     (el1070)      Join Date: May 2007       05-06-2009, 9:41 PM Reply   
David how do you get the forum discount?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-07-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
You can build you system in stages.

1. Add a decent 4 channel amp to the polks
2. Add a sub, run the sub off two of the channels and the 4 boats off the other two
3. Add a dedicated sub amp.

If you have the money, time, and motivation step directly to #3
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-07-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Nick,

Not at all. Separate amplifiers mean more heat sink mass and separate power supplies which translates into better thermal stability.

You can easily run four coaxials and one sub with a 4-channel amplifier. In this case you'll use a 4-ohm subwoofer. In a 4-channel amplifier I'd recommend a JL G4500. $350 before discount.

David
Earmark Marine