Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-12-2006, 8:33 PM Reply   
I'm leaving for Cabo San Lucas in about 3 weeks. I'm thinking about taking my board along. Does anyone have any info on finding a pull there? How about jet ski rentals? Would they allow a rider to be pulled behind one?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-13-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
Nick,

I go to cabo every year, its a blast... I would bring your gear: board,bindings,vest & rope. First couple years I went, I paid a guy in water taxi(panga) 20 bones to drive me around for 30 minutes, it was werth it, just to say youve done it. Last couple years I hooked up with a local name Rafael, he has a bayliner with a tower. I will look for his email addy & hook ya up. I believe now there's now a Malibu down on the beach / available to rent out rides. This one is usually on the beach in the middle of the hotel zone.

RANDOM / GOOD cabo Info:

Cabo is a coll spot, it's blown up in the last couple years, not nearly as cheap as it used to be but still a blast, you will have a wonderfull time, here is some info broken down for ya....

RESTURAUNTS
The Office - directly on the beach, the spot for daytime chilling, beers, happy hour, drinks, food, etc. The daytime chill spot
Mango - next door to the office, simillar but not as happening IMO
Enriques Steak & Lobster - $9.99 dinners, great deals
Romeo & Juliets - Super nice Itailian in town - get the ceaser salad - they make it at your table, bomb!!!
Brazils - kinda pricey but very cool, 20 differnt kinds of meat on skewers cooked on a open flame and hand carved at your table ( prime rib / chicken / ny steak / fish / etc )

CLUBS
Jungle Bar - outdoor bar below Cabo Wabo / cool place to kick it and grab a drink, you can sign the bar / walls / etc.
Giggling Marlin - Not the most happening spot but super fun if you hit it at the right time, they pull people on stage, involve the audience in drinking games
Cabo Wabo - Has a great cover band that plays 90 -present rock and alternative hits, touch and go on some nights but cool if you can be there w/ the band.
Squid Roe - this is where EVERYONE ends up, loudest, craziest, wildest in all of Cabo

I would also recomend taking a booze cruise, it runs 20 or 30 and its a 3 hour boat ride in the ocean, around the arches and to the pacific side, tons of fun and cool to meet other people + all you can drink!

http://allaboutcabo.com/ ( live webcam infront of the Mango & Office )

PICS:

Water Taxi Time:
cabo

Bayliner:

Surf/Wake:

Party / Beach / Etc:

_________
Lzy
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       02-13-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
i was in cabo last may and there was a 226 cruising around the bay while we were out on a booze cruise, never saw that boat pulling a rider, but they had boards up in the racks. i also saw a smaller i/o with a pylon pulling a rider. i was there for a wedding and did not get to ride, but really would have liked to flag down the nautique for a pull.

second on the booze cruise, good time, and the office is a blast.

beautiful place.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-13-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
Nick,
The best food in Cabo is at a restaurant called "The Trailer Park". If you like lobster, it is a must! Have a great time!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-13-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
Dtb, I saw an Air Nautique when I was there in September. Could have been the 226 you saw. They were pulling wakeboarders and I asked about how to get a pull? I was told it was a private boat. Might be worth it to check out the Marina/docks while you're there.
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-13-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys. What do you think about the jet ski idea? I've seen pros riding waves in videos. I thought it might be fun to give it a try. Is it safe? I know that the water is pretty mellow on the Sea of Cortez side of Cabo.

Aaron- thanks for all the info. if you could find Rafael's address I'd appreciate it. Your pics are making me anxious to leave.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-13-2006, 10:51 PM Reply   
Nick, yes the water is pretty mellow on the sea of cortez side. We were told to stay out of the Pacific side. You would have to find a jet ski near a surf spot, or jet ski to a surf spot on the sea of cortez side. Does look like fun, water is warm. I've been thinking about trying that in Oregon for awhile now.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       02-14-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
yeah, the 226 looked like a private boat. here is another private boat that was there.

There was some surfing going on on the pacific side of lover's beach when i was there, but it was breaking right on shore so it would be impossible to tow into.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-14-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
Man would I like to be in Cabo right now. We ended up going three times last year and I just never get too much (don't ask.... weddings, vacation, etc=lots of Cabo).

Anyway, there is a board school down there now. Talk to the locals on the dock. I never bothered figured it was too much trouble for a mediocre pull, but I'm sure it'd be fun.

I second (or third, or fourth) the booze cruise thing. Really cheap and as much booze as you can drink. I think it was like $18.

Rod is right about the Trailer Park. Really good food. Stick with the Lobster as the steak really isn't that great. Also make sure you go to the Trailer Park in town as there is one about 2 miles out of town also. It's pretty pricy for what you get though (like $60/person). I found Mi Casa to be better food and its less expensive.

Have fun and good luck. Post some pics when you get back.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-14-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
I got married in Cabo in May 2004 and went a second time June 2005 - there are a few guys who meet right by the Harley shop and Ruth's Chris who carry their gear down to the water and ride in the Sea of Cortez. I think they had a bayliner with a tower. I've seen a Super Air down there too.

Supposedly, the guys down there will let you use their gear - I personally would not bring all my stuff down there for fear of problems with the international flight and a wakeboard.

You will definitely have fun - great suggestions above on the restaurants and bars. Don't forget to go to Slim's - it's the world's smallest bar - it's right down by the Giggling Marlin.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-14-2006, 4:05 PM Reply   
I'm writing ALL this down...nice timing ... nice tips . I 'm leaving thurs morn. Actually staying in Cabo San Jose. plan to spend the day/night on sat in San Lucas ;)
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       02-14-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
i was in cabo for new years for a week. my buddy who also own a ranch on lake Nacimiento owns a time share at the pent house sweet at cabo villas right there on the beach..we were watching wakeboarding ..one of the best bars there is the nowhere bar..

whatever you do dont go threw any time share presentations..its grueling..me and my girlfriend sat threw one and the guy asked me if i loved my girlfriend right in front of her..they get that hard to sell ..slimball sellers
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-14-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
Aaron your the Man. I never get tired of your Cabo Pic's, Its cool that you save them and all the info so that when anyone ask's you dont have to re-type all the info out each time. See there is a reason you won that MC
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-15-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
Nice, Bob. San Jose del Cabo is really nice also. A lot more mellow than Cabo San Lucas and still only about 20min away (you could easily cab it). Walk downtown and check out some of the local restaraunts. I had the best carnitas tacos there (I wish I could remember the name of the restaraunt for you.... It was an upstairs restaraunt with seating on the street out front).

All this Cabo talk makes me want to go back.

BTW...Ryan is right about the timeshare talks. Don't do it unless you are interested in buying. We bought one two years ago and have been stoked (presidential suite at the Hacienda del Mar....pimpin'). The year after we went down there and dropped close to 30k they called us back down and wanted to do another presentation. They tried to get us to upgrade for another 9k and when we declined they tried to get us to buy another week. I couldn't believe their tactics. We kinda laughed at them all the way through while drinking their champagne and smoking cigars on them, then just stood up and split. I figured they'd at least give us a years use before hitting us up again. Serious nerve......

Anyway, have fun....
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-15-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
Evan, I am right there with ya, so many good memories in Cabo, it has defiantley blown up in recent years, not the sleepy lil fishing / resort town it was 5 years ago but I still love it!

Nick, Rafael is a local down there, he has a bayliner with a tower, his email is trota@mac.com, drop him a line, I haven't talked to him since I was down there last summa. Arun another WW regular has ridden down there with him too. Give him some time to respond & hopefully he can help ya out.

Also, surfing is great in Cabo, you can take a bus for like 2.00 down to a surf shop or the cabo surf hotel. Here is a couple more links, great day tirp if you have time

http://www.costa-azul.com.mx/
http://cabosurfhotel.com/

Some Surf Photos for your enjoyment, notice the long breaks - sweeeet !!!

surf
surf

_______
Lzy
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-15-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
Cabo Surf Hotel is sick. I highly recomend it to anyone that is looking for a place to stay that is slightly away from the action downtown. We went for a wedding last year and didn't want to leave. Surfing looked pretty decent too, although we never got around to it.

Aaron, when we taking the new bad boy out for a spin? You ready for that lead yet?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-15-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
Evan,

Hoping the storm doesnt come through this weekend and ill be out again. Definately want a couple hundred for the nose now to start & then once we get completely broken in, we'll load her down =)

Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-20-2006, 5:39 AM Reply   
nick
got back last night...only saw the panga's asked around about pulls nothing...most of the big hotels had jet skis to rent. I was at the Hilton Los Cabos, they had them there. The bay was crazy, full of boats, no way to wakeboard when I was there. Beautiful weather mid 80s durring the day , 60s at night. Bring lots of sunscreen and BRING YOURE WALLET, everywhere was expensive ... evry meal ( for two )$50 +, beer $6-7, margi $7-10, few places gave ya 2 for one deal ( they'd bring ya four ) Did have a good time ... Did get get pulled fom the airport lines to get me and my bags searched ;)

good luck /enjoy
Old     (jediknight)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-20-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
Bob,

How was the Hilton Los Cabos? I'm staying there for 10 days in April on a all inclusive deal. I'll be my first time in Mexico, I'm travelling for the UK and it will be my big vacation this year so I want to make the most of it. Anything I should look out for?

Cheers
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-20-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
jedi

One of nicest hotels ive stayed in, nice people, Niiiiiiiice rooms, just about everyone speaks english, nice beach (a little hard on the feet, man made i think) They have a shuttle 10$, (only paid at the hotel) per day per person ( worth it ) into both San Jose del Cabo (15 min +-) and Cabo San lucas (20 min +-) 25$ e.w. for a taxi, one guy at 430 am paid 100$ to get back in the morn. Fish tacos at the sunset bar were gooood, salsa made at the table and food at the whale terrace ( i think was the name ) was very good, in the bar at nite they hade a guy hand rolling cigars. My wife hung out at the pool durring the day where whales were swimming by every hour or so. Soon as my wife loads pics i will throw some on. I had a great time, its a great place to just hang out and do nothing by the pool (not really for me) was a little board in the mornings, im up early not much to do, I could only walk up and down the beach so much. Spent the days and eves in town for the most part

enjoy and gl
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-20-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
Well, I'm starting to count the days, 10 left. I hope this trip is better than my last to Cabo. Last time I was there a Hurricane blew in, and it happened to be the week of sept.11 2002. Talk about a crappy vacation.

I sent Rafael an e-mail so hopefully I'll find some kind of pull while i'm there.

Sounds like Cabo has gotten to be quite a bit more expesive than I remember. I'll be sure to take more cash with me. I'll try to take a lot of pics when I'm there, especially of any boarding. Thanks for all the info everyone.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-05-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
well ??? how was it ???
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       03-06-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
I was also at the Hilton los Cabos when I was there. It is a great resort. Excellent service and great food. Very nice rooms.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       03-06-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
hilton los cabos

Upload
Old    julian_1            03-22-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
i actually just got back from cabo this weekend. there was one boat with boards on it, but the water was so filled with jet skis and other boats that it looked pretty insane to get out there (both for safety and for water conditions). i did see the boat take a few people out (at $100 an hour) but no one was doing any real tricks besides wake to wake.

other than that, cabo was amazing. stayed at the melia resort, one of the nicest places ive ever stayed.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-22-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
Julian,

Glad to here you had a good time in Cabo, its been blowing up every year - still a great lil vac. spot w/ low airfare from Cali.... To get good water in the Cabo it's like a lake on Memorial day - first in / last out - lol. I rode one year bout 8 am and another and then another at 7pm. Post some pics of if ya got em -later.

Lzy
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-22-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
My trip was great! It was nice to get away from the cold & rain. At the last minute I decided to leave my board & gear home. I did go wakeboarding while I was there one time. I contacted Rafael, he was in Mexico City at the time, but he hooked me up with the guy he sold his boat to. His name is Seth, I found him at the Jungle Bar in front of Cabo Wabo. He took me out one day late in the afternoon. The water sucked, the board sucked, the wake sucked, but it was one of the coolest experiences of my life. The water was crystal clear, around 70 degrees, and probably 20 feet deep. It was kind of wierd looking down and being able to see everything below me. I seen several stingrays, and other fish, very cool.

We went fishing one day and didn't have much luck. I guess thats why they call it fishing. We caught one mahi mahi. We had 3 marlin bite, but we were unsucessful setting the hook.

Other than that, we pretty much kicked back, drank cervesas and tequilla, and just relaxed. I didn't get too many good photos, probably had to do with being intoxicated for a week straight. I'll try to post a couple pics later.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
Nick, you gotta give fishing another shot the next time you go down. Last time down there we pulled in about 20 mahi mahi in less than 3 hours. It was amazing. We ended up leaving about 40lbs of fish for the hotel maid service.
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-23-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
Evan, this was my third trip to Cabo, and my worst fishing experience. In the past I've caught 2 marlin (400lbs, 180lbs), a rooster fish, and lots of tuna & mahi mahi. This time they just weren't biting. I'll never give up on fishing down there.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
Right on, man. Yeah, the luck definitely comes and goes. What size boat were you on when you hooked the Marlin?
Old    dyonisus            04-12-2006, 6:23 AM Reply   
Even is Cabo there are jetskis, OF COURSE!

Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Nick, I just got back from Cabo 3 days ago. Hung out at the Mango Deck. It was off the hook. Spring break at it's finest. You can't miss it. It's bright yellow and orange, right next to "The Office" which is a great place to eat. The whole time i was there, an Air Nautique was cruising the shoreline, but never saw anyone riding. I bet if you waved a 20 spot at him, he would pull you for days. Have FUN !!