Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old    stillstandin            05-01-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
I just posted over at thedieselplace....I have had my new 07 classic edition crew cab duramax for a little over a week. The day after I bought it, the check engine light came on. Took it down to the dealership the next day, it was excessive gasses going through the EGR. Driving around today getting some things done, and the CEL comes on again. Now, Im waiting for my truck to be done (again). Thanks for letting me vent.
Old     (thedangcorn)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-01-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
No worries. My buddy bought a new dodge cummins and it went in the shop about 3x the first 3 weeks.

Seems there are always some bugs to work out...
Old    stillstandin            05-01-2007, 5:04 PM Reply   
Picked the truck up a couple hours later. The first time it went in, it was a code to reflash the EGR...well turns out, the EGR was bad. So they replaced it. I went out and drove about 180 miles, all good. Im educating myself on these diesels...much different that gas motors.
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-01-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
Just be happy you dont have a 6.0 F series
Old     (nuts4water)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-01-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
You will love your Duramax!!! After owning one I will never go back to a gas engine.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-01-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
My friend has an 06 duramax with 50k miles and not one issue. I would also add that the truck never moves without a 4 horse trailer stuck to the back.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-01-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
LIke a Rock baby.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2007, 10:51 PM Reply   
My chevy... Like a rock ...that does not roll. Well ok, not that many issues but certainly more than all of the hondas, toyota pick ups, and BMWs I have previosly owned.

I guess since mine is not a disel this is a hijack...

(Message edited by attila916 on May 01, 2007)
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-02-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
What kind of mileage do you get with the Duramax. I am looking for a new truck?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-02-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Sure Jimmy, my F-series has been flawless save for one very minor issue fixed under warranty. EGR?? All the diesels have or have had problems with that little device. They can gum up and give the engine fits and you fits because the CEL light comes on. A dead EGR will still let you drive it.

Relax a bit Craig, you may have some bugs initially and educating yourself is a very good thing. If you feel anything funny or like the truck has lost some power, take it right in, don't hesitate.

You will find a percentage of Diesel owners have no troubles at all, some have a few hiccups that get fixed and they then are trouble free. I had a relay go bad. Truck still ran and towed the boat very quickly. I did not even notice. You will usually only hear about the troubled engines
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
Craig,

You might want to consider a EGR bypass valve and the fingerstick mod.
Old    stillstandin            05-02-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
Tanner, ya, Ive heard about those, but with 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty, I dont want to do anything to void that...Overall, I'm really excited about the truck. Ive put about 200 miles on it since I had it in yesterday, and no problems. I was frustrated because I had to take it in twice, but luckily, I truly have an outstanding dealership. On my first tank of gas Paul, all city driving, I got 15mpg. Not bad, considering they dont get broken in for a long time.
Old    stillstandin            05-04-2007, 2:54 AM Reply   
Check engine light came on again...back to the dealership for the third time in less then two weeks. Im begining to hate this truck
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-04-2007, 5:38 AM Reply   
Craig, it might seem extreme and I have no idea on what the lemon law is down there(not callin the truck you have a lemon) but if your truck goes back into the dealership so many times without them being able to fix it, guys have claimed(this is coming from them.lol) that the dealership had to take the truck back. I am on my 3rd duramax and absolutely love them. I had injector issues on my first duramax, after the 2nd 4 injectors went, i traded in on a brand new truck, and have had no issues what soever. if your truck still has around a couple hundred miles, ask them to trade your truck in for a different one. this will let them know that your looking for more than a cross your finger and hope this works approach. when that truck is running smooth, you'll forget all about this issue and have an ear to ear grin(especially after you chip it too!!)
Old     (wakeboardaddy)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-08-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
Early models had issues with injectors, my 02 duramax had them done at 101,000 now have 128k no problems, I love it and will buy another. I haul a 20k # loaded gooseneck. allison is rock solid. and still have 1/4" of pad left on my original brakes. chevy done good on these trucks.
Old     (amazongb)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-08-2007, 10:33 PM Reply   
Jimmy, I have an '04 f250 6.0, not one problem - so there. Diesels, regardless of ford, chevy dodge etc all can have issues. fortunately for me, it's been rock solid.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-09-2007, 6:09 PM Reply   
Pretty sure the lemon law here in Cali is if the vehicle goes back to the dealer three times for the same thing, you have a case.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-10-2007, 12:21 AM Reply   
"if the vehicle goes back to the dealer three times for the same thing"

Only if it is a safety issue. Like stalling, loss of brakes, steering issues, etc. They have to rule out the broken heater vents and other non essential items to allow a fair lemon law.

Edit: I should have added that it can include emission related items to some extent, but all that is a gray area. The important part is, that the dealership take care of any possible problems and get the vehicle back on the road as soon as possible.

(Message edited by peter_c on May 10, 2007)
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2007, 7:32 AM Reply   
I'm assuming that since you just bought it you haven't put an exhaust on yet. After my downpipe back exhaust went in I threw all kinds of codes for the EGR but never the CEL. The EGR motors have been known to fail. I remember a few posts about it over on DP. I've run an EGR blocker plate since 10k, no issues.

Did the dealer tell you exactly which codes? I would suggest buying a code reader so you are armed with what is exactly wrong BEFORE you go to the stealer. I printed out a copy of every code for my LLY off Diesel Place and keep it in my truck...

(Message edited by doug2 on May 10, 2007)