Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (fernandob23)      Join Date: May 2002       07-18-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
There is a group of about 10 of us that is heading to the lake at the end of this week for about 4 days. We have never been to either of these two lakes and wanted to know what people recommended.

We will have at least one boat and maybe two. We would like to be near the water if possible and we would like the nicest place for boarding as well.

The only real drawback that I can find is that both places charge per vehicle rather than for a campsite. We will be meeting up from different areas so there will be 4 different cars. If each car has to pay $25-30 per night that is $120 per car for the 4 days ($480 total!). That seems kinda steep. Has anyone been to either of these lakes and maybe can give some suggestions? Thanks

Fernando

PS we are heading to this area because some of the people are from Southern California and this area is between the Bay area and So Cal.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-18-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Both are good lakes, San Antonio will stay a little less crowded on a weekend but has the potential to get all blown out. North shore of San Antonio you can leave your boat in the water overnight, not at South shore. Nacimiento you can but many of the campsites close to the water are either a) underwater or b)get filled up real quick.

As for the pricing that does indeed seem rather steep. Meet in Paso Robles and carpool in.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
If you go to San Antonio they will let you park in front of the gate and ride in with somebody who has already payed so everybody doesn't have to pay, or you can say that you are having a second vehicle coming in and get a reduced fee for the extra car.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-18-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
I have done the same thing with friends from L.A. area that meet us half way. Nacimiento is a better lake. Lots of fingers to explore and cliffs to dive off of. There is the narrows where people hang out and party. You may see some topless ladies which is a plus to me and my friends. If you camp there the sites are tight and close together. We usually take over Eagle Ridge area which is more on the hill side. The rangers leave us alone for the most part. We have found sites there where we can have our boats in the water near our sites.

San Antonio is has bigger sites and the North shore is much better campsites on the shoreline, but the lake is very winding at times and there are no finger to find good water. I can't stand jet skiers and that has been my experience with San Antonio Lake is lots of them and no where to go to get away from their bad driving and f-kin up your water. San Antonio has a lot of Gang Bangers as well. King City, Solidad and Salinas gangs go there it seems a lot more than what I have seen at Nacimento.

By the way both have taranchulas and rattlesnakes. They pretty much leave you along though.

My two cents,
Brannon
Old     (fernandob23)      Join Date: May 2002       07-18-2006, 10:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions fellas...It looks like we are going to try Nacimiento.

Paso Robles is about 15-20 minutes away so we can just meet up and carpool in to save some money like stephan suggested. Hopefully our cell phones work in that area.

Eagle Ridge sounds like a place that would be fun as hell but we have some people coming with us that would appreciate showers and toilets instead of porta potties. Pine Knoll sounds like a better fit for us I guess. We are heading up Thursday morning so hopefully we can land a nice spot.

It looks like the campsites are on the east side of the lake. Brannon mentioned the narrows (west side of the lake). Where are the cliffs to dive off located and where are some other good spots to hang out or ride? Thanks again for the help.

Fernando
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-19-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
There are cliffs back in the Narrows as well as right on the main lake (look for the big rocks, ha!) Another good place to chill is Las Tablas, stay to the left and the narrow section opens up and there are tons of people having a good time. See you up there.
Old     (gwondo)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-19-2006, 11:15 PM Reply   
Check out Rocky Caynon. The sites are first come first serve but if you are getting there Thursday you have a good shot at getting a good spot.This campsite has showers/bathroom. It has water access so you can keep your boat in the water. The campsite at the bottom is four car minimum but has the easiest water access. It has narrow roads so I would not suggest trying to get your trailer in there. Leave it out of the way in the parking lot down by the marina or you can put it up by the entrance gate. A group of us stayed there about two weeks ago and had a good time.