Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (blacter)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2003, 9:49 PM Reply   
I'd like to add some foam or other cushioning to my tower at the points where it rests on the boat when it's collapsed. Do any of you know of a product that will do that job? Thanks.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-11-2003, 10:05 PM Reply   
I use a set of 1 lb hand weights that have a velcro close, and just strap them on the tower and line them up. I was going to make something out of foam, then came across these at home. It works great
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-12-2003, 6:19 AM Reply   
I don't know what kind of boat you have but I cut two pieces of the foam pipe insulation that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes and cut them again length ways then put them on the grab rail of my bow. The tower then rests on that. For added stability when trailering I bungee the tower to the grab rail. Works great, but may not work for all boats.
Old    trigx5            06-12-2003, 6:23 AM Reply   
foam pipe insullation will work or you can get 12x12 interlocking foam tiles at home depot that you can cut with a razor knife. They are in the rubbermaid section. They come like 2 in a pack for 10 bucks.
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-12-2003, 6:37 AM Reply   
Phil do you always trailer with the tower down? Have you had any problems doing this?
Old    hockeyruss            06-12-2003, 6:56 AM Reply   
I have a titan tower, and I put 2 throwable boat cushions down on the rear deck of my VLX so that the rear hoop of the tower does not touch anything. For the Front hoop of the tower, I use a 4'6" 2x4 which goes from the connection point to the floor of my boat, which keeps the tower about 1" off the windshield.
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-12-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
I use my kids life jackets but after reading this I will have to go to HomeDepot and do something less ghetto.
Old    sickboy            06-12-2003, 8:07 AM Reply   
If you have a Sports Rack, or other shop near you that sells roof racks for cars/trucks, you can pick up the pads that people use for kyacks(sp?) on roof racks. Almost looks like the old pads that kids would have on BMX bikes in the 70's. They have velcro, and fit on pretty good.

mb
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-12-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
I have a black tower and I put some black peel-and-stick "Sano pad" on the contact points. It works great and is much less conspicuous than wrapping the whole pipe with foam.

Depending on the color of your tower, you could try some of that GatorGrip stuff or get some padding from this place:

http://www.hydroturf.com/pwc_matcolors.php

I think it's similar to the stuff I used but it comes in lots of colors.

If you have a black tower, you could try Sano Sports:

http://www.sanosports.com/

I just got some scraps from their place here in Austin but that was before they had a website and stuff.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-12-2003, 8:50 AM Reply   
Oh, yeah...and I got some velcro straps at West Marine (I'm sure you can get them at lots of places) to cinch the tubes down tight. The rubber pads and the velcro straps make it really solid when collapsed. That straps were like $2 each.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
I guess I am ghetto. I put my boat cover on and then take a 4X4 piece of wood (actually 2 2x4's nailed together) across the bow of the boat and rest the tower on that. I didn't like where the tower came to a rest on the bow and thought it was putting to much pressure on the fiberglass. My tower actually rest more on the downcurve of the fiberglass. I used the 4X4 to distribute the weight more evenly over the flat part on top of the bow.
Old    jp_mac            06-12-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
We bought two "leg" pillows at the as seen on tv store. They're about 12" square foam with a zippered cover and hour glass shape. The tower fits nicely in them.
Old     (wakemonster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-13-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
my Phatte Buddy tower actually hits the top edge of my upolstery on one side only, so when I have to fold it down, I just roll up a nice thick towel and rest the tower on that. I only have to do this for storage in the car port thing I setup. I tow with the tower up
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-13-2003, 9:01 AM Reply   
I had an old transom saver for an outboard motor I use to prop my tower up and have a piece of plywood on the floor so it dosen't tear the carpet.
Old    millertyme            06-13-2003, 4:13 PM Reply   
orange life vests that you have in your boat
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-15-2003, 8:24 PM Reply   
I find this a great place to hand our vests to dry. I have a higher end vest that I dont do this with but all the kids vest or "vistors" vest get used for anywhere padding is needed.

Bill
Old     (stevem)      Join Date: May 2002       06-16-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
If you have a Titan tower, Smooth Water Sports make some really nice pads that I am using. They are black and about 12" long with a white "Malibu" logo imprinted.

I think the price was $29.00 including shipping for the pair.

See http://www.smoothwatersports.com/equipstore/equipstore.cfm?ShowAll=Yes&cat=7