Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Gryphon)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-08-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
I have a 2011 A20 that was purchased new this year. I have a few questions about care etc. I have had a previous boat (2008 Bayliner 195) but am not that knowledgeable about boat maintenance and care etc.

The boat has been winterized and had the engine and transmission oil changed by the local shop. That is the only oil I needed to have changed? The boat is at 40 hours. The shop said to have the impeller changed next year if I am doing 40/50 hours a season.

As for cleaning, I washed the boat, then wiped the exterior with Hot Sauce. What should I do for Wax? Boat Bling or something else and if so, what type of wax is best? Should that be done now or in the spring. It is around 40 degrees here now so I am not sure if its too cold to be waxing it.

As for the vinyl, I was planning on using magic eraser with Totally Awesome to clean the seats and vinyl. After posting on the Axis site, some have advised against using magic eraser. I assume they suggest just using a rag. I also have Vinyl Sauce available. I applied 303 protectant when I purchased the boat. After cleaning the vinyl I plan to redo them again with the 303.

The swim platform seems to have become stained, what is the best for cleaning the swim platform pad? Is there an after market option if I wanted to change it?

There are some minor scuff marks on the gel coat, mostly where the bow hits the roller when loading the boat onto the trailer that I cant get out with just hot sauce and a rag. I have 3M rubbing compound, should I use that and then 3M Finesse-it after the rubbing compound or do you guys have a better suggestion?

I also have a a very small stone chip which is through the gel coat to the fiberglass I am guessing. Is that a major concern to have fixed or not a worry? It is under the boat and cant be seen otherwise.

Is there any maintenance I need to be doing with the trailer? I tow the trailer 10-20 times a summer 30 min each way.

Thanks
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-08-2012, 12:17 PM Reply   
"Is there any maintenance I need to be doing with the trailer? I tow the trailer 10-20 times a summer 30 min each way. "

^^^

Don't worry about your trailer. It will be talking to you some day, not too many seasons in the future, about its maintenance needs.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       11-08-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
Do NOT use magic eraser.
Wipe her down with babes Boat brite or hot sauce as soon as you pull her out of the water - each and every time.
Wipe down the interior with the same as above but their interior cleaners- each and everytime after you pull her out of the water. Once a month or so spray the interior with conditioner/protectant.

Just with that you should be set.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-08-2012, 2:36 PM Reply   
Let me be more helpful this time ... where I can. I did not have time to read but the 1st and last lines.

"I also have a a very small stone chip which is through the gel coat to the fiberglass I am guessing. Is that a major concern to have fixed or not a worry? It is under the boat and cant be seen otherwise. "

I don't have a picture, but, I'd also guess it is NOT a major concern. I can't say this about the newest ones, but, a Nautique design has a stepped hull. There is a transition where the forward chine just ends, and transitions into smooth curve. It leaves a hanging corner that can snag the wheel fender protection on launches. Sure enough, within the first 10 launches, I didn't have the trailer in deep enough. The side thrust in reverse threw the boat left into the protection for the left wheel fender, and cracked that corner clean off.

I was upset. (I now launch by going in deep enough to start the motor ... remove all the straps ... and then, in reverse, give the boat a little throw such that the boat leaves the trailer by the push of the bow roller. Note, the bow roller should be in the crotch between the prow of the hull and bow ring. And be gentle. But the boat drifts smoothly away from the goal posts on almost a straight line.)

Think of this hull feature as being the corner of a cube. What cracked off was a tetragonal piece about 0.5 inch high on the rear edge, about 0.75 in on the rear edge, about 1.75 inches forward on the outboard edge, with a shear face connecting the 3 other vertices.

Regardless if you follow or not, it was a pretty good sized chunk of material missing. 1 - The boat did not seem to handle one bit differently. 2 - That winter, I went to a boat show another city than the territory of my Nautique dealership and, in response to my asking about what damage I might have done, told me that they seldom see an older Nautique without that corner cracked off.

So, they were rather unconcerned about the water-tightness of the hull. But I was upset with the flaw.

I paid to have it fixed. It is not cheap (I forget, it was not that awfully painful, but I can't remember if it were $150 or $450).

Anyway, you probably do not have a major problem. It can be fixed. My dealer where I store my boat (a Cobalt dealer) had their glass man order color directly from Correct Craft. In my case, the fix is invisible and perfect after 6 years.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-08-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
When launching, the 'little throw' is by putting the tow vehicle in reverse. The tow vehicle both moves the trailer deeper thereby causing separation between the bunks and the hull, as well as throws the boat out into the lake cleanly between the goal posts.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-08-2012, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
As for cleaning, I washed the boat, then wiped the exterior with Hot Sauce. What should I do for Wax? Boat Bling or something else and if so, what type of wax is best? Should that be done now or in the spring. It is around 40 degrees here now so I am not sure if its too cold to be waxing it.

As for the vinyl, I was planning on using magic eraser with Totally Awesome to clean the seats and vinyl. After posting on the Axis site, some have advised against using magic eraser. I assume they suggest just using a rag. I also have Vinyl Sauce available. I applied 303 protectant when I purchased the boat. After cleaning the vinyl I plan to redo them again with the 303.

The swim platform seems to have become stained, what is the best for cleaning the swim platform pad? Is there an after market option if I wanted to change it?

There are some minor scuff marks on the gel coat, mostly where the bow hits the roller when loading the boat onto the trailer that I cant get out with just hot sauce and a rag. I have 3M rubbing compound, should I use that and then 3M Finesse-it after the rubbing compound or do you guys have a better suggestion?

Thanks
1st off, we appreciate your business and hope you continue using Boat Bling products!

Exterior: Continued use of Hot Sauce should leave a slick, sealed surface. I wouldn't worry about waxing unless the gelcoat will be exposed to the elements. If stored indoors or covered and shaded well I would just wait until Spring. Any high quality polymer wax should provide excellent protection. We're partial to Quickie Sauce but there are other nice waxes on the market. We recommend staying away from Carnuba waxes that tend not to perform as well on gelcoat.

Interior: Always use the least abrasive cleaning products for the job. Magic erasers may actually remove material (basically fine sandpaper), aggressive cleaners such as Totally Awesome are very harsh and may dry out the Vinyl. If you're looking to deep clean we suggest applying Vinyl Sauce and using a soft bristle brush to lift the dirt to the surface where it can be wiped off easily. Following up with Condition Sauce or 303 Protectant is a good idea.

Swim Platform Pad: Give Vinyl Sauce a try. In addition to cleaning vinyl & leather, it excels as an all purpose cleaner and may surprise you.

Scuffs: Again, always try the least abrasive method 1st. I would imagine they should come out using a gentle polishing compound and a little elbow grease. Be sure to wax this area thoroughly next season. it may still show scuffs but the marks should be much easier to remove.

Thanks and feel free to reach out with any other questions!

Zack@boatbling.net