Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                08-15-2006, 6:10 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9eGacqhAgQ

That's my first 4-5 attempts at a tantrum... I tired about 5-6 more, never getting any closer. After watching, I think if I can square up more to the wake, I should be fine, what do you guys think.
Old     (wristy_j)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-15-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
You need to cut hard at first when you're out wide to get good speed coming in (a few of your attempts looked too slow) then ease off the cut and stand tall at the top of the wake (all the way up, with your legs straight, it doesn't look like you're doing that in the vid). Don't try to start the flip until you're already in the air. If you concentrate on going straight up and not back at all, you'll get much more air, and have an easier time getting all the way around. Hope that helps.

J
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-15-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
How fast are you riding in those vids? IMO it looks too fast especially when your learning a new trick
Old                08-15-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
We're running about 20mph with me while trying to learn this trick!
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-15-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
oh ok, well that shoudl be fine then... Wow that wake looks really small
Old                08-16-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
Yeah... I have to ride with 2 slalom skiers this summer. My main boarding partner is out of the country this summer. Last night we added about 1400lbs of ballast and had a nicer wake. I'll try and get video of that that up in the next day or two. I can't seem to figure out how to get the POP up.. Patience I guess!
Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-16-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
Collin, be sure to throw your head and shoulders back. Once you get the pop. For me i wait for the pop, throw my head back and look for the landing. Your getting close though so good luck with it.
Old                08-16-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
If you wait for the pop before you throw your head back then should it feel like you are doing a big wake jump(one hand) then throw the flip. On my attempts I want to throw it at the wake so I can rotate. I also have to get more speed into the wake-does more speed the key to this trick? because thats the part that takes guts!!!
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-18-2006, 1:58 AM Reply   
You will need to build up a lot of speed by cutting in hard. This speed will carry you over both wakes, although you'll let off of your edge at the trough of the wake. So cut out wide and get some speed going! As you approach the wake - hold the speed you've built up - it's precious. Just before the trough of the wake let go with your back hand, let off of your edge, and square off by making your shoulders parallel to the wake. Just look away from the wake so your back is facing the wake as you ride up the wake in a backwards drifting motion. Be patient and take off from the top of the wake by extending your legs and tilting your head backwards. You should get great pop when doing this correctly. It feels like you're tripping over the wake, hence the Tantrum is called a trip flip. Do not worry about the rotation or the landing too much. Once your approach and - muy importante - your take off are correct, the trick will fall into place. It's not too hard, just takes a little practice. Keep at it - you'll finally make it.
Old                08-18-2006, 6:08 AM Reply   
Thanks- I took a lesson with Kyle Schmidt and he said not to even try it until I had a very fast cut in at it. I got my nerve up now. Ive been trying with a medium fast cut and throwing my head back real hard . It doesnt work!!!OUCH.
I'll fly in now and square up. How do you avoid going low and fast.? I found the worst crashes is when you underoate . My ankles hit the water and twisted my right knee. I dont mind crashing hard on my back , side or face- just not my knees. So speed is the key. What a sick feeling rotating in the air(even though I crashed) Landing it is going to be awesome. Thanks
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-20-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
Oliver, that sounds like good advice. One question, though, do you throw yourself backward ( like doing a backflip of the boat) at the top of the wake or let the wake trip you?
Thanks
Old                08-21-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
well... I'm getting the board completly under me now... we keep forgetting the DV cam, so no new video. Only problm now, is I'm doing a 180 at the end, and I'm not so strong on landing TS, switch! Thanks for all the tips...
Collin
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2006, 7:01 AM Reply   
John, I let the wake trip me. This is what really lets the trick happen. It's super important to wait for the tripping and not to take off early. You want to jump up, not out. Then all I do is lead the rotation by tilting my head backwards. I just come off of my edge, let go with your my hand and put my front hand with the handle close to my ear (like a foot away) while squaring up (make shoulders parallel to the wake). For the position of the handle during the trick just click on my profile and look at the pic of me doing a tuck style Tantrum.