Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
So Friday we went over to our local boardshop and picked up a 5'0" LF Skimskate, the red+blue one from last year and a straightline wakesurf rope. Saturday we wakeboarded until the water was gone and then set up for our first wakesurf session.

We have a Sante 210 and set up for the starboard side. Left all factory ballast full, put the 400 lb bow sac to the starboard side, put another 200 in the starboard locker, and another 200 behind the driver. About 500 lbs of passengers on the starboard side too.

After playing around with the speed and the rope length and basically feeling our way through it, I found the sweet spot by crouching and leaning forward. I kept the rope and started getting slack, but was really close to the swimstep, like 2-3 feet away. The next two riders got the same thing going.

We were all super stoked about it though, it was really fun. I even managed a couple 180's with the rope in hand. It was sooooo fun and a great compliment to the morning's wakeboard session. Best thing was being able to ride with alot of boats out there instead of parking and waiting til sunset for a chance at some good water.

So this post got lengthy, but I am trying to best describe our wake and well, the fun we were having. our PP was at 8.8, but I think it's a bit slow and we have no idea EXACTLY what the speed is without a GPS.

My Questions really concern the pocket and how we can get it back a bit from the boat. Should we speed up a notch or two?? Empty the Port side rear ballast?? Or simply keep going and learn how to get rid of the rope??

The water is only about 5' deep in the lake, it was built for skiing. Our boat was kicking up a mud trail from the wake blasting the bottom. The prop was not in the mud though. Maybe the shallow water is messing us up a little bit??

It was awesome though and everyone got up first try. This forum gave us some good ideas where to start. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old    xtreme            06-11-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
Try emptying the port side ballast , and also try 9-9.5 mph. But, your biggest problem is your lake. 5' will not work for surfing. We have found 8' to be minimum, but we still don't get a good wake till 15' or more. It makes a huge difference.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-12-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
I kind of figured that the wake was getting messed up by the shallow water. It definately effects the wakeboard wake. You could find us by the mud trail we were leaving.

That's a shame. There are a couple deeper spots. We will have to try to stick in those areas and see what happens.

Thanks Gary.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-12-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
Flux
Check out www.HowToWakeSurf.com