Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-12-2003, 4:38 AM Reply   
How good is the Perfect Pass cruise that is based off RPM's? Is it a lot better with the paddle wheel? If so, how much is it to upgrade to the paddle wheel? Thanks.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-12-2003, 7:03 AM Reply   
Justin, the paddle wheel is a much better way to go. to upgrade you can call Perfect Pass they list a upgrade to Wakeboard Pro for 498.00 that includes a new module,Paddle wheel and display. I would contact them to see if you can upgrade to wakeboard cruise.
Old    swass            03-12-2003, 7:12 AM Reply   
Personally, I don't understand why they even offer an RPM-based model.

We want a constant SPEED, not constant RPMs. My RPMs fluctuate quite a bit while holding the set speed. I recommend the Wakeboard Pro model (paddle wheel).

Does the RPM-based model offer an advantage to skiers?
Old    leggester            03-12-2003, 7:46 AM Reply   
No, skiers are even more touchy about specific speed than WBers.
Old    chris_hargis            03-12-2003, 8:04 AM Reply   
I think the RPM based system is an entry level system for those who are a little short on cash, but still want the cruise on their boat.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-12-2003, 8:12 AM Reply   
The RPM based systems are for slalom sking the paddle wheel is made for speeds under 25 mph it will not work at the speed that slalom skiers ride at and slalom skiers prefer the pull of a rpm based model.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-12-2003, 4:34 PM Reply   
S200 / ST200
Paddlewheel Kit 33-114
S200 / ST200 paddlewheel kit contains
all the wearing parts in the paddlewheel
and blanking plug assemblies. The paddlewheel
kit fits the P1 housing and is
appropriate for speed up to 45 knots (52
MPH). I believe this is the model most have for PP, so yes it is fine for skiing speeds.
Heres a link: http://www.airmar.com/Product_Catalog/marine_catalog/mcat_index.html
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-12-2003, 6:45 PM Reply   
Tom, the RPM is not for slalom skiing, the paddle wheel was actually developed for slalom skiing (as was PP I guess). The slalom model actually has another upgrade called the slalom/jump switch, which is a little complicated, but feels tension in the rope and adjust speed as the skiers come out of the ball. Like Chris said, the RPM model is just an entry based option.
Old    aaron_bell            03-12-2003, 8:09 PM Reply   
Guys,
Is the rpm unit that bad? I hope not, I bought one last year with the hopes the wife would be better able to control the boat speed. What are the drawbacks? Will this work ok for us?
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-13-2003, 6:34 AM Reply   
Nick, If you look at the Perfect Pass website the Digital Pro is rpm based for slalom and jump and speed based for wakeboard and trick and the Perfect Pass Plus is rpm based and is for slalom only so it looks to me as if slalom skiers use rpm. the book that came with my Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro says to use rpm for slalom sking. Correct me if I'am wrong.

(Message edited by tcaton on March 13, 2003)
Old    chris_hargis            03-13-2003, 6:44 AM Reply   
Aaron,
No, it isn't bad at all. My friend put one on his boat and it made the pull really nice. The RPM based system holds steady until you make the turn for a doubleup, then you just have to drive it manually for a few minutes to keep the speed up, then let PP take over again. The RPM based system is still much nicer than having to do it yourself. Your wife will love it for driving, and you will love it for riding. I only wish I could put one on my outboard.
Old    never2old            03-13-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
Chris,
If your interested, I have installed Perfect Pass on my 1998 200 hp EFI merc. Takes alittle work building an adaptor and bracket, but other than that the installation is similar to the inboard application. I could forward you the sketch of the adaptor and pictures of how I fit it to the motor if your interested.
Old    aaron_bell            03-13-2003, 12:11 PM Reply   
Chris,
Not there yet on the double up, wouldn't mind trying this year. Thanks for your input! I was starting to question my purchase after reading everyone's post about the rpm based unit. I got a great deal on it so I almost couldn't past it up.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-13-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
Tom,

My bad, totally off on that one. Had to sit down and think about it. I am kind of suprised they haven't come up with a wakeboard "switch" yet though.
Old    ricktrav            03-14-2003, 7:54 AM Reply   
I have one question about pp. how does the boat plane out? I know that when my boat is weighted vrs. un weighted it takes different time to plane out. would I still get on plane or just plow thru the water?
Old    swass            03-14-2003, 8:08 AM Reply   
How the boat planes is dependent on how it's weighted (and the boat in general). PP has no affect on how it will plane.

With PP, you use the throttle as you normally would until PP "beeps" at you, then you let go of the throttle. The only way you'd "plow" is if you don't set the speed high enough to get on plane.

Old     (wakinwestcoast)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-14-2003, 9:15 AM Reply   
i don't think that would work very well would it?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-14-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
Hey guys, just thought I'd add my .02 worth. I personally prefer the RPM based system to the paddle wheel system. On the '02 X star that I ride behind you can audibly hear and feel the boat making rapid changes in throttle position to compensate for speed. The RPM compensation makes very smooth corrections for speed. The only down side to the RPM based system is that when you go around a corner or change direction (with or against river flow) you have to make adjustment to the RPM's for speed. If you ride in a lake where you don't make rapid changes in direction I think the RPM system is greatly supperior.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-14-2003, 5:34 PM Reply   
how is it superior, it doesnt know how fast your going. I could give two craps what my tach is doing as long as my speed stays within a few tenths of a mph when im cutting back in to hit the wake and while im in the air