Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (x_star05)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-29-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 x-star (the one with the paint job on it) and have some MAJOR concerns. I picked this boat up early July and have 61 hours on the boat. Well, about a week ago I was looking over the boat and realized at the bow of the boat right by the ladder there were some spider cracks starting to show. At first I didn’t think it was a big deal, and when I first noticed it, it was when my boat was at my dealer. I showed my dealer, and he said he has never seen this before, but it can easily be fixed and it under warrantee. So a week goes by, and I was using the boat and as I was cleaning the boat I started realizing that there were more spider cracks. These new spider cracks were MUCH worse then the other ones. These spider cracks were starting at in the bow of the boat, right where the cushions turn in the corner. I have not hit anything, and this boat has been babied ever since I have owned it!!! I tried sticking my hand in the hole where the ladder is to feel the other side where the spider cracks are, and THINK I feel a crack on the other side. My dealer knows about this, and I have tired calling MasterCraft about this issue too. MasterCraft said they r waiting for pictures from my dealer to analyze my situation. SO FAR MasterCraft has been good, and told me that they are going to stand by there product

I wanted to get ur and hear what you guys think… I also have some spider cracks (little ones) in other places in the boat.

My dealer and MasterCraft both said they have not heard about this happening before… this is a BRAND NEW BOAT and not to sound arrogant but after paying over 100 grand for a 22foot 3inch boat I think it should be PERFECT!!! I am very worried about this problem, and I cannot see what part of the hull looks like because I have 18 layers of paint on top of it….

What if my hull has cracks in it
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-29-2005, 11:18 PM Reply   
I am in million dollar new homes all the time( my job ). And they are NOT perfect. People who build these home are not perfect, the materials are not perfect. Can you see my analogy.

As long as they are standing behind their work, that's what counts. People make mistakes, even 100 grand mistakes. Good luck.
Old    justsomeguy            08-29-2005, 11:40 PM Reply   
kar·ma (kär'mə) pronunciation
n.

1. Hinduism & Buddhism. The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.
2. Fate; destiny.
3. Informal. A distinctive aura, atmosphere, or feeling: There's bad karma around the house today.
Old    bighitbiker3            08-29-2005, 11:55 PM Reply   
Well I geuss on this one i cant really say you get what you pay for. But it really should not be doing that. My boat is a 1983 and has no spider cracks or crack for that matter. Something is wrong or someone dropped a lot of boards on that thing.
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-30-2005, 12:22 AM Reply   
Ryan last thursday were you towing your Xstar down RT50?? Behind either a suburban or Yukon Denali? I was going to my sisters house and got a quick glance, thought it was yours.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-30-2005, 5:08 AM Reply   
Maybe there was a defective batch of gelcoat. Sounds like your dealer and Mastercraft will help you out. You best option is to work with them to get this resolved.
Old     (jediknight)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2005, 6:29 AM Reply   
Justsomeguy,

That's a bit harsh, the poor kid has got flamed enough already. Give him a break.

Ryan, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about and I'm sure MC will stand by their product, if nothing else this particular X-Star is pretty high profile amongst us Wakeworlders and I'm sure they don't want any bad PR!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2005, 6:35 AM Reply   
Because the boat cost 100K doesn't mean there won't be problems. Furthermore, just because it's a mastercraft doesn't mean it won't have problems.

I've seen a boat from nearly every manufacturer have cracking to some extent or another. Some of the worst was on an '02 X-Star that had to be sent back to the factory for an entire new top deck! Most mfg's are good about standing by their product.

Good luck
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-30-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
I think it would be uncommon to have no cracks at some point. Especially loaded down boats that take abuse like wakeboats. Mine has them...I suggest just waiting to see if the cracks get bigger and if they do you have a problem. Sounds like your dealer will be helping you out...no need to panic.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-30-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
Just out of curiosity, How often do you use the front ladder? I know that we've only used ours maybe ten times the whole year, but it seems like if someone used it constantly it might lead to what your describing.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-30-2005, 7:36 AM Reply   
The ladder is there to be used. That would be no excuse.
Old    bronco991            08-30-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
Hey Eric, its Kyle, Yea he was towing the boat down Rt. 50, we brought it down to Lake Anna for the weekend haha
Old    justsomeguy            08-30-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
"harsh" "poor kid"??

Sorry, the karma comment is just one possible, and quite funny, explanation for his troubles.

After all, the "poor kid" brought on the flaming with his hilarious posts.
Old    bambamski            08-30-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
MC put a lifetime guarantee on their gel coat starting in 05. However you got a custom paint job from a third party on yours so does that make it void? I'd find out about that.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-30-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
I hope this gets resolved. BTW, how does an x-star cost 100k?? Am I missing something?
Old     (tigebob)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-30-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
look at the boat on his profile and u will see why it costs a 100k
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-30-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
MY 05 X2 had gel cracks after only a few hours. Some in the bow and walkthrough. Dealer is going to fix it in the winter.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-30-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
the only comment i have on this post is a simple one......

mastercraft dealers are always reputable, its not easy to get a dealership through them.

in the event they werent.......mastercraft will take care of you directly, i guarantee it. It will require some patience though.....

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2005, 1:08 PM Reply   
Any make of boat can have problems. It's disappointing, but the most important test is how well the dealer and manufacturer stand behind the product if/when problems occur.

So far, it sounds like they're taking care of you. I wouldn't worry. As for the hull, I'd be really surprised if it develops spider cracks. If it does, however, they'll probably show through the paint pretty quickly, and then you get to see what MasterCraft does about it.

In the meantime, enjoy the boat and don't borrow trouble. Also, I'd avoid posting about this again (unless you get totally stiffed). It's a lot easier for MasterCraft and the dealer to address the concern privately without having to be concerned about being smeared on WW.
Old    zboomer            08-30-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
You gotta be a lawyer to leave a post like that. :-)

Not that there's anything wrong with it...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2005, 2:40 PM Reply   
Alright, I have been one of the worst to give poor Ryan a hard time over the past 6 months.
However, this is a valid discussion so I should offer some advice from somebody that has had some experience in this area.

First off for anybody else reading this thread who may be in the market for a new boat, MasterCraft is a good boat company that stands behind thier product. I would not hesitate buying one of their products.

Spider cracks are one of the toughest challenges with fiberglass. They are a fact of life for all boat manufacturers, some boats get them some boats don't. My new Nautique has a few gelcoat cracks that will get repaired this winter under warranty.

Ryan,
I seriously doubt that your issues are structural and I doubt that what you are feeling under your boat is a crack. Even if it was a crack I doubt that you could feel it. Try to remain calm and resist posting negative issues with your dealer or manufacturer until you give them adequate time to make things right. I would give them until the middle of winter to take care of this. In fact I would wait until they are slow and bring the boat to them when they have plenty of time to fix things the right way. Right now in the heart of the season they are probably really busy repairing boats for people that want to get them back on the water. Welcome to boat ownership...

Tre,
Yes you can spend $100k+ on an X-Star. Ryan is a lucky guy, his dad is a doctor and they have loads of cash so he bought a custom painted fully loaded X-Star, I doubt they even negotiated the deal.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
Hey J-rod, how does your new X-2 feel compared with your old BU?
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
Every boat has it's weakness. My humble opinion is stress cracks on mc's. I'm sure their are some out there without stress cracks somewhere, but I have never seen one over a year old without them! Including 2 previous that I owned up to friends brand new x-1! Mc has always been great about warranty on that issue.
Old     (x_star05)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-30-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
thanks everyone!

Just to fill everyone in... I have been in contact with both my dealer and MasterCraft and so far everyone has been extremely helpful. MasterCraft is waiting to receive pictures of my boat so they can review the problem and figure out the appropriate way to deal with my issue. Mastercract has been in contact with me everyday so far, just to check in and let me know what they are doing about my problem. I have spoken with some people, and as of right now the consensus it that it’s not that odd to get stress cracks, but were the stress cracks are accruing is what is concerning some people. I am also getting some little spider cracks right by my cup holders next to the driver seat….

we will see what happens
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-30-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
Here is another question.

How do they/you repair stress cracks and keep them from coming back. I have one that seems to be getting a little bigger and was wondering what can be done to fix it?
Thanks
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
If I were you, I'd order a new one right now, use the one you have until the new one is built, custom painted and fully blinged up, then just throw your current one away. It's not worth the trouble of getting it fixed, plus it's only an '05.
Old    zboomer            08-30-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
Usually it means the gel coat was put on too thick, which makes it brittle.

I have to wonder why the boat is flexing so much in so many spots though, to crack the gel?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-30-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
Paul i didn't say it was an excuse it was like i said "just curious" about the ladder. but thanks for taking my question and NOT answering it.
Old    sharrington            08-30-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
Ryan,
Please be sure to report every bleeping problem you have with this boat before the dealer has a chance to resolve the issue, and especially when they and the manufacturer have assured you they will fix the problem. You'll find this technique to be a very effective strategy when dealing with all kinds of issues in life.

Please grow up soon. Your posts are killing me.
Old     (x_star05)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-30-2005, 7:09 PM Reply   
im NOT bad mouthing mastercraft or my dealer by any means.. if anything im only saying gooood things, and am filling everyone in on how they are dealing with my issues. I posted just to hear people opinions on my situation
Old    sharrington            08-30-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
That's the problem. You just don't get it...
Old     (wallyworld)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-30-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
Sorry the secret is out. Disaster Raft is an overpriced POS!!
Stress Cracks on a $100,000 boat?!?!?! That crappy gelcoat and resin are making them alot of money.
Old     (jiujitsuabs)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-30-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
Seriously Wallyworld it gets old. Did you get abused as a child by a Mastercraft? We get it!