Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-19-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Alright, so every raley attempt of mine ends in me taking a swan dive from 15' up. I can get my feet up over my head just fine but thats where they stay. How do you get your feet back under you? I know it is all handle position but I cant seem to get it and my face hurts.
Old     (txadam)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-19-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
Pull the handle down to your knees.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-19-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
If you are throwing it and not letting the wake snap you back it will be harder to pull down. As you cut through the wake the board will go up behind you and you will almost feel it snap back (i like the first one of a set cuz it pops my back) As soon as it snaps back, just a easy pull down to the knees will get the board back under you. Raley are a super easy once you get the feel. Good luck
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-19-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
getting back down should be a sinch. you can do it with only one arm/hand pretty easily. just pull that sucker (handle) to your thighs/knees.

(Message edited by ironj32 on October 19, 2007)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-19-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
As BG said, they should really snap themselves back down. If you are throwing them correctly, then you don't even really haven't to worry about pulling the handle back in towards your knees. If you are having to really yank on the handle to get your legs back under you then you're doing them wrong.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-19-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
I would definitly say that I am doing them wrong... thats kind why I was asking for help. I wish I had a video of my last attempt.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-19-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Make sure you look at the boat when you take off the wake so you keep your shoulders square this will make you fly like super man!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-19-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
What "tricks" should you be able to do before attempting raleys'?

Sorry for the highjack.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
A raley doesn't take allot of skills...Just BALLS!!! If you can do a good progressive cut and land 10' outside the wake, then you have all the skills necessary.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-20-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
Like Jakober said, its really actualy very easy, just a momentum move.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-20-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
raleys are my favorite. Just don't let go of the handle. coming down should be a natural reaction to avoiding death
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-20-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
pull the handle down to your waste
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-20-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
Funny.. Trew spelled waist incorrectly....however, it still applies.

Life is funny.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
Nice a 10 year old is stomping them and I look like a lawn dart everytime I attempt one. TBut seriously, thats awesome Trew keep it up!!!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-20-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
T bag, I'm in the same boat you are. I was learning raleys about 5 years ago and I took such a bad fall that I tore my rotator cuff and knocked myself out cold once I landed completely laid out. Its a mental thing for me now to throw them. I can land about 15 different inverts and spins, but can't throw a raley which everyone says is the easiest trick to throw once you learn it. Can someone give a detailed description of how to actually throw it correctly? I think people that throw it wrong are leaving the wake wrong, so thats probably where the most explanation is needed.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-20-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
I hear you about the mental side of the raley...

In 1998 I was 27 and started getting my raleys dialed. I was riding the O'Brien Phatty and did a huge raley. When I landed I heard a loud pop and felt a strange pain in my upper leg. Turns out I broke my femur and blew out my ACL. Needless to say I lost my urge to do raleys.

Fast forward to Oct. 13 2007, nine days after my 38th birthday. Beautiful fall day with no one else out on the water and a boat full if good friends. I decided it was time to try a raley again.

raley

I know it's far from perfect, but I did it!! Now next spring I can start improving on it and get it back under my belt! What a way to end the season.

The thing I try and tell people that want to do a raley is that you have to fully commit to it and not try and hold it back, just let it go and the rest really just happens.

Good luck to all,
jjakober
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-20-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
What are your key thoughts? For example thoughts are different for a backroll vs. tantrum.

(Message edited by johnsvt on October 20, 2007)
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-20-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
Don't puss out!!!
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-21-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
charge the wake harder, relax in the air, and pull the handle more to your left hip when on your way down or you will go to krypt like i do
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-21-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
Most important thing is to stand tall through the wake. This will help you get the height you need. After hitting the wake I let my legs go up and behind me. At the same time I extend my arms and look at the boat. Then pull the handle in to your thighs or waist. Spot your landing. Good Luck.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-21-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
i dont know about standing tall. i stay more crouched
Old    dabigkahuna            10-21-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
J Jakober,

Mad respect man, 38 years and still killing it! I'm stoked to see older guys charging, it keeps me motivated. I'm only 33, so I guess I still got at least 5 good years ahead of me!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Thanks Big....@ 33 you are just getting into your prime!