Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-09-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
My covered/carport boat storage isn't going to pan out this year for my VLX and I'm not really excited about the idea of paying $20+ per foot to get my boat shrink-wrapped or paying monthly fees at a storage facility. I did a search on TheMalibuCrew for plastic wrap and found a thread where a guy used U-Haul 80 gauge plastic wrap to wrap a boat for transport cross country. He said it was beginning to tatter some after 1200 miles, but worked great.

I have the stock Malibu ratchet cover, but it lets water in around the tower mounts and isn't completely waterproof after 5 season of use. My thought would be to plastic wrap the boat first, then put the cover over it for added protection. If I did two sections of the wrap, bow to top of windshield, then transom to top of windshield with a single wrap/seam where the two meet, it would allow water to roll off instead of collect under the next wrap section - same idea as roofing shingles. The plastic wrap is 80 gauge and you can get 20inch x 1000ft roll for $21.80. I know it looks a bit tacky, but come springtime I'd feel much better taking a box cutter to $20 of material vs. a $400+ shrink wrap job. Has anyone ever done something like this? Thoughts?
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-09-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
My only thought is make sure you have vents somewhere or you will be dealing with mold come spring. Who cares what it looks like, if it works.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-09-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
I put the westmarine heater/fan under my cover to eliminate mold issue. I highly recommend it.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-09-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
I have always though about doing this if not the whole boat, then just doing sections to get the transome, tower and maybe the hull below the cover.
Old    kx250frider617            10-09-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
Why don't you put the cover on, the wrap onto of the cover. It'll save you cover from getting all dirty and the cover will provide support for the wrap over cockpit of the boat.
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-09-2012, 2:53 PM Reply   
Ha I'm famous! That's me and my boat. The memory of wrapping it, and driving 3000 miles in 72 hours make me cringe.

Anyway, you definitely would want to cover it and then wrap it. The 80 gauge wrap will not support the snow weight. If you cover it with and ppropriate poles for support I think it would do just fine. But to be honest.. it's such a pain in the ass rolling the roll under the boat, I'd probably break down and pay someone to wrap it. I probably spend 3 hours doing the above.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-09-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
When I stored my boat outside, even in summer, I put the cover on then threw a 12'x24' big green tarp over the cover and tied it down good. Protects from sun and water.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2012, 3:13 PM Reply   
If your talking about buying material and doing it yourself you can shrink for probably right around $125. $20 a foot is way to much. Going rate is $12-$15 a foot depending on if you take the boat to them or they come to you.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-09-2012, 4:33 PM Reply   
We don't get much snow here in middle TN and i would have the tower folded down, with multiple supports creating quite a bit of support for the wrap, but I am still skeptical about the idea. I thought the about cover, then plastic wrap approach but was thinking about if water did intrude between the wrap and cover, it would mold and mildew the outside of the cover over time. Thats still probably the best bet if I used the U-Haul plastic wrap though. I assumed it would take a while. I would probably get a riding buddy or two to come over one weekend and help me knock the wrap out along with a few beers.

The 12x24 tarp idea may work well but tarps are quite pricey and seem like an item where you get what you pay for. There are some walmart specials for $30 and some that run up to $200. I'd hate to spend good money on a tarp that tatters in the wind halfway through the winter, then i'm looking for a solution in 30 degree weather. Nick, do you know what brand tarp you have?

I don't know if I'd want to do my own shrink but boardman, where would I go for supplies? Thanks guys for the thoughts and ideas. Keep them coming.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2012, 4:56 PM Reply   
It's not super hard, but there is a skill to it. You also get the pleasure of having a torch flame right close to your boat. Google shrink wrap supplies and you will find tons of suppliers. I think some of the rental places rent the torch to shrink. Just attaches to a grill tank.

Shrink is really the way to go for longterm storage. Maybe shop around some, you should be able to get it for way less than $20 a foot.
Old     (93rx7)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-11-2012, 9:10 AM Reply   
I use the stock cover and then a heavy duty tarp over the boat + tower. I've had to replace my tarp a couple times but finally ponied up and bought a good one. $200 and it's been through 3 winters so far with no signs of tearing.
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-11-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Shrink is really the way to go for longterm storage. Maybe shop around some, you should be able to get it for way less than $20 a foot.
And you can re-use it year after year if you do it right...similar to the way the original ratchet cover works.

Another idea is to search craigslist. under the Housing section, there is a parking/storage list. I have found people renting out barn space for 7-10/ft for the whole winter...then you don't really need to shrink wrap.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-11-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/P-...+X+120%27.html

Here ya go. Do it your self.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-11-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/P-...+X+120%27.html

Here ya go. Do it your self.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-15-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
Dude, don't over think it.
Put your canvas cover on, drop the tower and put a big tarp over the whole boat. Maybe adda couple props if there's an area that will pond water. Plus you can get the tarp big enough to cover the sides, transom and trailer fenders/wheels.
Just a regualr blue tarp will last you a couple seasons if you cinch it down tight where the wind doesn't rip it to shreds.
Now you're preserving your expensive canvas cover and it acts as a secondary cover under the tarp, should something happen. And nothing is wrapped air tight, so it will breathe a little bit.
Either way, leave a drain plug out just in case.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-15-2012, 4:47 PM Reply   
From a past thread. Here is a medium duty 20' x 30' tarp I used last year. $55 at Princess Auto on sale. It is ready to go again for this year, if I put my boat outside. I had my mooring cover under this one.

The death of these tarps is flapping in the wind! It's also very bad for your gelcoat!