Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       02-19-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
I am considering getting a Go Pro, has anyone been using one alot? I was wondering how the quality really is on the 1080p.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       02-19-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
Also what mounts does everyone like or use the most?
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-20-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
I have heard good things about this camera. Only thing I don't like about the GoPro is the bulkiness of the camera itself and having it stick off the side or top of a helmet (using it for other activities besides wakeboarding like MX, snowmobiling, skiing, etc.) Because of this, I opted for the Vio POV which has a small bullet cam head with a remote recorder.
http://www.vio-pov.com/
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-20-2011, 7:38 PM Reply   
Anybody know about mounting a GoPro? I read about a fin mount, but it was really vague on exactly how this would work...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-20-2011, 10:24 PM Reply   
Fin mount? What do you want to mount it to?
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-21-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
My fabulous wife bought me one for valentines day! I am so stoked to get out and use it (unfortunatly have about another 3 months till it's warm enough) but I was wondering if any of you have some sort of backup attachment in case it comes off the mount. A string, float, something that keeps it off the bottom of the lake when I bite it really hard. Sorry if this is a hijack...
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-21-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
Seems like this would be the best mount to go with for wakeboarding. I imagine you could somehow tether the camera to the straps just to be safe

http://www.rei.com/product/794638
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-21-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
These cameras are amazing! I have two and you can look through the WakeWorld Vimeo page to see a ton of stuff that Kaesen has shot with it. I have yet to see a camera come close to the GoPro in picture quality and, most importantly, smoothness. What convinced me was seeing dirt bike helmet cam footage. I know how bumpy that can be, but you would never know it from the footage. I just wish I was better at editing so that I could use more of the footage I've shot.

I use a simple shoe string as a tether. Unfortunately, the case doesn't have a loop or anything on which you can tie something, but you can squeeze it through in the area where the mount is. Also, they just came out with some pretty cool new features. One, which I just bought, is a screen that attaches to the back so that you can see what you're shooting and review shots. It comes with a case that encloses everything. They are also coming out with a 3D version, which looks like two cameras in one housing. I saw these in use at Supercross on Saturday as they were filming the crowd with a big LED ring light all mounted on what looked like a set of handlebars.
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-21-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
I got one for Christmas and have been using it snowboarding a bunch. Can't wait to shred some water with it! Def worth the money. If you think about it... its actually 5 cameras in one.
1. Standard def.
2. WVGA or DVD widscreen
3. 720 @30fps
4. 720 @60fps
5. full HD 1080
Plus its shoots sick stills and can do pretty nasty time laspe stuff.
Also the others don't have 170 degree angle... the vio-pov is only like 95 degrees in 720

No other camera provides that much versatility
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-21-2011, 5:32 PM Reply   
yup, the vio is only 95 degrees in 720 for "slow mo" compared to the 170 on the go pro. If you bump it up to 1080 though, the vio is 142 degrees where as the go pro is only 127 degrees. Both seem to be nice units.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-21-2011, 5:37 PM Reply   
GoPro also just added a feature that takes a frame every second for time lapse stuff, which will save a lot of disk space. You can also tell it that you're shooting upside down now and it will automatically record it right side up.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       02-21-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
Are these settings available on the current Go Pros? I didnt want to go buy one in the next week or two and next thing I know a new one is out.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-21-2011, 7:57 PM Reply   
It's just a software upgrade that's free on their website. All the hardware is still the same.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       02-22-2011, 6:13 AM Reply   
The only negative I have found with the Go Pro is that it is unusable in low light. I took one duck hunting this year and shot video at sunrise and it basically was just black footage when I downloaded it. As it became light outside it was back to its awesome self. I love the thing for the most part-- lot's of fun!
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       02-22-2011, 7:00 AM Reply   
I love mine and can't wait to get out on the mountain bike and boat with it. I've only taken it snowboarding so far. My only issue is editing. I only have iMovie and it does not support 60fps, so I have yet to shoot in that and I think that for sports that are higher speed you definitely need to use the 60. I've only spent a little time with editing and have already determined that I need to get a larger monitor to see everything. Here is a quick video I did of me snowboarding, again, the editing isn't that good but the light was pretty flat that day and I think it turned out pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L5AHeamb0c

Constructive criticism is always welcome.