Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       05-23-2007, 6:25 AM Reply   
whats up guys...im looking into getting a winch but they are pretty pricey but i was talking to this guy who said he built his own for like 300...just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to do this or anything or if i should just screw it and go buy one.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-23-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
300 vs. 2k is my understanding. what if you do your own and it don't work?
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       05-23-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
yeah thats what im saying...i would much rather save the $ but i dont know enought about it to risk it so....
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-23-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
I've seen some sites out there where they basically give you step by step instructions on how to build...
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
If you know how to build and where to find parts for the right price, then you DEFINITELY will wanna build it. All of the companies out there that are making winches know full well that they're only gonna be selling winches to those people who can't build one themselves, or don't have the facilities to do so.

If someone said they just built a winch for some rediculously cheap amount of money, it's because they either already had the parts laying around in their garage (and they also know how to weld...), or they bought super cheap parts that may or may not last more than a year or so.
Old     (sancho)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-23-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
its so much cheaper to build your own, go to winchskating.com. buy an engine from grainger, parts from, grainger, northerntool.com, and cometkart.com, bearings from grainger, clutch or torque converter, axle, hubs from northerntool, and sprockets from cometkart, ebay a roller for like 5 bucks, and steel from a metal place.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-23-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
David where are the instructions to build your own? I can't find them at winchskating.com. Hook me up.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-23-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
Here are the step by step instructions for building the winch. http://www.tahitimx.com/winch/
They look pretty straight forward. My buddy works at a steel place and built a frame the other day, we are thinking about getting together a few frames after we finish the prototype, if anybody is interested then PM me. Good luck deciding build/buy, I think ours is going to be a fun project.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
The 2 hardest parts for most people to build is the spool and the frame. You can buy all parts al la cart from Release Winching Systems (Pimp Winch).

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
www.wakeboarding-winch.com
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-24-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
You need to know how to cut and weld and access to a metal shop will be helpful. We built this one for around $350 and we had most of the steel, if you already have a motor you might be able to do it cheaper. Ours works great and we split the cost between 2 people. I love winching, we set up a few rails and ride all day for less than the cost of one beer!
Upload
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-24-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
Ken - Do you have a link to release winch systems or contact info.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-24-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
Ron, look under the winch section on the bullet lines website. He sells the frames/spools there, very nice looking stuff for sure, and it sounds like they are very lightweight also. I think our prototype is going to weigh a good bit, we will have to figure out how to get rid of some of the weight on the next frame we build.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-24-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
Ron,

We are still in process of debuting our winch company to the public.. Our Release Winching Systems website is still under contruction. I'll post some photos below of our 3 winch models. All our winches come in a base model with all aluminum frame, CNC machined disengaging spool, TAV Torq-A-Verter, and knock off 6.5 hp honda racing go cart engine. The optiotns are the following:

1.True Honda Motor
2. 1st Stage Racing Modification (9 HP)
3.Brake
4.Throttle (Miniature Boat Lever)
5.Double Spool
And soon 6. Electronic Speed Control

The following are our 3 different frame models to choose from. Sorry for the non-professional photos (all I have right now)

Our Budget Frame Winch
Upload

Swoop Frame
Upload

Pimp Winch
Upload

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (fchidsey0144)      Join Date: May 2007       05-24-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
um I am just wondering is there any reason that pic had to be taken at 100mph down the hwy?
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-24-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
Our photographer took that pic. We thought the prerunner winch looked really cool.

Thanks,

Ken
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-24-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
What do the a la carte items cost in total from Release Winching Systems?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-25-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
When do you think that you will have some winches for sale and how much? Are you going to sell kits?
Old     (ride900)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
I thought the whole point of this thread was the guy wanted to know of a cheap winch. Your winches are super cool looking and have all kinds of neat stuff on em'. But there has to be some one out there that can build a cheap no frills winch for about $1200.00. I would think that, that would leave enough $ fro that person to make a little $ off it too. cause no one is going to build any thing for free.
Old     (ride900)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/438079.html

I searched in the archives and found this looks like an alright winch. Not on the same level as Bullet but alot cheaper most likely
Old     (sancho)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-25-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
summertime
yeah that wich isnt very good, i drove it the other day and the chain keeps popping off. if you look there is no chain tenchener, or an engine stop, so the chain stretches and when you adjust the engine it just slides back to its original spot.

(Message edited by sancho on May 25, 2007)
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-25-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
I'm going to build one,eventually. I hope to use mine in winter... lots of lakes,no mountains.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-28-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Summertime:

Our budget winch retails for $1300.00... Thats the winch frame on the front of the truck above; it comes with the frame, disengaging spool, 6.5 hp Honda Knock off, and TAV 30 Torq-A-Verter.

Ron:

We have winches available now.

Thanks,

Ken Land
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
>yeah that wich isnt very good, i drove it the other day and the chain keeps popping off. if you look there is no chain tenchener

It'd be cake to fix that winch. Add a bolt with jam nut to push the engine forward and keep tension on the chain.

I've got many years of go-kart racing experience. Racing karts don't use a chain tensioner or engine-stop. A chain poping off is caused by either a mis-alignment (right-to-left) betweent the two sprockets or a loose chain.

If you're going to home-build one of these things you'll have to expect there will be some kinks that you have to work out, if you can't deal with that, then you should buy one.