Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-13-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
For those of you who own a Malibu with an Illusion X tower, have you fabricated or found something that can be used as a light on top of your tower? I hate having to put up the stern light on its awkwardly long pole each time we ride past sunset, and am looking for a solution above the tower that I could wire to the dash for easy on/off.

Thanks for the tips.

(Message edited by tparider on July 13, 2006)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-13-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
Mine came with a built-in nav light. Did they not have those on the earlier models?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-13-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
I guess not - I have a 2005, but it's an LSV, not a VLX. Do you happen to have any pics of what that area on your boat looks like?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-13-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
Here are a couple. Not great pics, but they give you the idea...

Upload
Upload
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-13-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics.

I called the dealer and found out that they actually changed the tower for 2006 to add that spot for the 360* light. I don't have that on mine.

Do you have any idea how the towpoint attaches to the tower? Would something like this work?

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/titan_anchor_light_aal
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-13-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
It looks like a standard towpoint, so I would think that would work for you. The only problem you might have is that the wiring might have to go on the outside of the tower for at least part of the run. Call the guys and Wakeside and I'm sure they can tell you for sure.
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       07-13-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
I see DBOT5 has something that might work from their web site - Robot USCG? www.dbot5.com - look under Lights then USCG.
Not sure tho...
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-13-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
David - Contact Waterski America in Dallas. The service guy there (Tony) was doing this modification for the 2005 Illusion towers that didn't have the light. I haven't seen one he did in person, but it sounds like a great deal to get rid of that stupid 10 foot pole.
Old     (ck73)      Join Date: May 2006       07-13-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
Check out this New dimension tower light.
http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/home.html
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-13-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
Muji - unfortunately that connector won't work on the Illusion tower. Actually, it may work, but only without the bimini on. Thanks though.

Eubanks - good info. I called Wakeside and Jason (one of the sales reps) was nice enough to email me an entire word doc complete with 15-20 pics of how to install the Titan light on the 2005 and later Illusion X tower. I got everything I need, and I think I'm going to go that route - $130 is pretty steep, but you're right, the 10 foot light pole is lame.

Corey - looks good, but I don't have a spot for that to mount, so the Titan solution is going to work a little better...thanks.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-13-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
The titan would work but it may be difficult to fish the wires through the tower, and also you would have to enlarge the hole on the light as the bolt that holds the tow spool on is much larger than that of the titan light. Also when you take the tow spool off be careful because there are bearings inside that if you loosen certain parts too much it can cause a problem, hard to explain on line.

The dbot5 would work but I do not believe the new dimension would due to Malibu's swivel head pylon.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-13-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
ok you replied as I was typing, awesome that jason could help you out.