Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-16-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
So, for some dumb reason I thought changing my prop in the water was a good idea today and the sheer pin disapeared. Where can I pick up another one (I think it was brass) and how much should I expect to pay. 94 MC PS 205
Old    bocephus            08-16-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Do you mean cotter pin?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-16-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
he means sheer pin... try you local dlr -- they have had them before...
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-16-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
your local dealer or a prop dealer/repair shop will have them I keep a spare Sheer pin (key), nut and cotter pin. I think about $2-$5 at the most should cover it.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-16-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
I've never seen a shear pin on an inboard. They have a 1/4" square key, nut, and cotter pin. Key, and nut should be brass. I just bought a nut and it was $7.50, Cotter pins should be stainless and cost about a $1.00, my prop repair shop gave me a new key after repairing my prop.
Old    bocephus            08-16-2006, 9:35 PM Reply   
Well here is a cotter pin:
Upload

now can someone explain to me what a sheer pin is? The cotter pin is 79 cents at Ace Hardware.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-17-2006, 12:09 AM Reply   
my fault, it's the key, it's in the water
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-17-2006, 12:19 AM Reply   
a sheer pin is on the shaft between the prop and the shaft, brass and just a little under half the size of a pencil.
It is ment to sheer (brass) in extreme case of prop vs shaft vs trans vs motor.

almost like a dowel.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-17-2006, 5:12 AM Reply   
Kenny - I don't want to argue but the 1/4" square brass in the prop and shaft is a "key" it will not shear before major damage to the prop and drive. Older Outboards and I/O's have a shear pin -it is a small round dowel shape the goes completely throuh the prop and shaft. I believe most newer I/O's and outboards have swithced to rubber couplers. The brass key is to prevent any possibity of the prop spinning on the shaft. Brass is used to prevent corrosion between the shaft, key, and prop.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-17-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
And the brass in the prop, key, and nut will also break/warp under trauma in order to keep the tranny/engine from being dammaged. Coorosion resistance is a secondary charachteristic of them being brass. Otherwise it would all be stainless steel becasue stainless would be stronger.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
I was replacing a shaft, strut, and prop on a Centurion Enzo with an 8.1 in it a few weeks ago and the Key was sheered right in two at the coupler end of the shaft, thats a lot of torque.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-17-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
george you are probably correct about I/O's since I don't know much about them, but the key is also a sheer pin (or atleast I 've heard many people call it that also)cause my wife hit an underwater concrete block (don't know where it came from)and along with tearing up the prop it sheer the pin/key leaving no damage to anything else.

So I am not trying to argue, just trying to help if I can.
Old    00wakesetter            08-17-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
I always thought its a sheer pin also but it makes since about the prop spin also.